CBS 2018 Mock Draft Connor Williams to the Jets

Discussion in 'Draft' started by AlexJETS, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

With Rosen, Darnold and Barkley gone in the top 4 and the Bronco's probably going with the third best QB (assuming order doesn't change) - I'd personally want Chubb over Williams.

I wouldn't be angry if it went the other way but unless we make some BOLD moves in FA then I'd rather take the impact player over the steadier option.

BomberJet likes this.
  2. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

A Scout's take: Williams is an exceptionally talented player in both the run and passing game. As a run blocker, he takes good angles, rolls his hips on contact and shows a nasty demeanor to keep moving opponents both to and through the whistle. When you have a mauling run blocker, that player often lacks some athleticism as a pass protector. That's not the case with Williams. He's a graceful mover with tremendous knee bend, balance and the ability to redirect. He plays with great awareness and can sink his weight to anchor down vs. the bull rush. He has a very sharp punch and makes it look easy once he gets position.

Where he needs to improve: He can get a little too aggressive at times in the run game. He'll duck his head and fall off of his block. This doesn't happen very often, but it's an area he can clean up this fall. Williams doesn't appear to have ideal length and he'll need to be a little quicker with his punch when he plays elite edge defenders. I'm anxious to see how long his arms measure. On occasion, longer edge rushers get their hands inside and lock him out. Overall, there aren't a lot of holes in his game.

Biggest takeaway: Williams is an easy player to evaluate on tape. Great players make the difficult tasks look effortless on the football field. That's him. He's a better player than any of the offensive tackles in the 2017 draft class. He reminds me a lot of Joe Staley coming out of college. Both guys are natural athletes and play with a physical edge.

Leicester Jet and Red Menace like this.
  3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Sooooooooo if you take a QB he can busts but if you take a LT "you have your LT"?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What if Chubb isn't there?

Draft could go ...

Rosen - Browns
    Darnold - Giants
    Chubb - Colts
    Fitzpatrick - Browns
    Mayfield - Denver
    ???? - Jets

If you got Cousins, who are you taking?

5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

If it falls that way its Barkley vs Williams. I think Mac would take Barkley as BPA but I'd rather have Williams and then target a RB in the 2nd.

6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Williams is IMO the best OL prospect in this draft. Nelson is also nasty but he plays on the interior ...But he's a straight up monster as well.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, McGlinchey was picked pre-season to have a big year. Instead, he disappointed and didn't play all that well. Williams was solid, and I think he projects to LT. I agree that Brown will probably be a RT in the NFL, but what a RT. He's a real road grader in the rushing attack. He has some problems with speed rushers, but you could line up the TE on his side.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

with williams probably yes,but my point is you are increasing your bust potential by reaching and robbing yourself of adding premium talent with this qb or bust mentality.

Noam and Red Menace like this.
  9. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

This is a dream scenario. Can't go wrong either way. I'd go with saquon because this team desperately needs a play maker.

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If they signed Cousins, I would go Williams, the chances of a premium OL being a bust are few and far between.

101GangGreen101, LAJet and FJF like this.
  11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Not a fan. Give me Nelson if we're going OL at this spot. If Nelson goes before us there will be better players available than Williams.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

If the draft falls that way, I would trade down. Someone will be hot to move up for Allen or Barkley. You can move down a few sports and if you don't get Williams, you can draft McGlinchey. You could also see if someone like Arden Key is available in the new spot. Landry from BC is another interesting prospect.

A interesting scenario is if you flip Barkely and Fitzpatrick at the Browns second pick. Would you take Fitzpatrick at 6 ? I prefer to fill the CB spots in FA, because the young talent is there. OLine I don't think it is there except for Norwell at G.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

This is as easy a decision as they come in terms of the draft. If the Jets signed Cousins and Barkley makes it to them you run to the podium and select him and instantly have a completely transformed offense.

It gets trickier if they didn’t sign Cousins. In that case Allen has to be a strong consideration at this spot. Either way Mac has to be right or it’s his job. If he drafts Allen, it needs to work out, if he doesn’t then he better hope Allen doesn’t turn out to be a quality QB.

Starting to think Jets are major players in Cousins as it’s the safest play for Mac. I don’t necessarily think it’s the best play but certainly the safest and opens up a lot of possibilities for him in the draft.

Either way Mac goes at the QB position I sure hope he doesn’t just pat himself on the back for solving the position but truly invests in whichever QB and makes the offense a priority for once.

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem taking a chance on Allen in round 2 or 3. The likelihood of him working out on the pro level is probably only slightly higher than a guy like Hackenburg. While, I thought we reached too early on Hack I have no problem blowing a second rd pick on guys like Allen or Hackenburg even if the likelihood is only 10 percent or so that they make it at the pro level. But no way should we ever consider using the 6th pick on a guy like Allen. For every guy with a second or third round grade reaches like Watson that might make there are 20 Blaine Gabberts.

15. Attackett

LMAO, Allen is a consensus at worst top 15 pick, not even remotely similar to Hack who pre draft was considered a mid round pick at best.

16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

If the jets sign Cousins, they can fix the oline with a premium oline man and draft a RB in the second round or third round and still transform their offense. Any RB they select will need an offensive line to open holes for him, wether it's Barkley or Chubb.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From my view point we know one thing for certain: We have huge needs at LT, QB, and a stud RB in offense, not to mention a C. If any of the three positions are available for us at six you strike, probably in this order: Stud QB, Stud LT, Stud RB. An absolute no brainer. Its easy now to recommend trading down as an option, and then shit all over Mac because he passed on a stud player at the noted positions. Some people seem to think the LT selection is dependent on the QB selected. I think not. If a stud LT is there and best QBs gone you grab him independent of who we finally get as a QB. You fill your needs with best talent available.
    I'm also wondering why so many here think Cousins will for sure see free agency. Are the Redskins not seeing in him the same value so many here seem to see?

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Attackett

While I acknowledge that OL is as big a need as any and hope it is a focus this offseason Mac simply cannot pass on a generational talent who would without a doubt be BPA to select an OL at 6. The only position he can pass on that type of talent for is QB and if he does he better be right or it’s see ya later, let’s start over.

I think it’s moot anyway as I do believe Barkley is the least likely to last til 6 and Jets are probably not signing Cousins. In that case it’s the QB that’s left or move up for one.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  19. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Wirth
    No brainer there, Barkley.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

RB is a position you'd like to add after you have built the line and found your QB. That's because it is a position that degrades faster than any other on offense.

If we got down to 6 and Barkley was still there and the QB's we liked were not there I would trade down a bit, pick up some value and look at somebody like Williams on the lower pick.

It's important not to get ahead of ourselves on the rebuild. It's going to take time and some inspired drafting to get to the place we want to be and more high picks can't hurt the process.

If Rosen or Darnold is there I run to the podium and take them but that's looking more unlikely by the day.

AlexJETS, MoWilkBeast and Red Menace like this.