Case for drafting secondary early

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GangGreenBlues, Apr 21, 2014.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I want a playmaker at 18. Especially if Cooks is there.

I would take the safety from Louisville if Cooks and Ebron arent there though.

And even though its better then going into the season with Patterson, Milliner and Wilson at CB. A 1st round CB wouldn't make me feel any better about our secondary.

I think a trade needs to be made. Idzik has already shown that he isnt scared to trade a pick for a veteran buried on a depth chart.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Agree 100%, with the way the team is balancing out up front, it's more crucial to find a center fielder than it is to continue banging away at corner in the early rounds.

3. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Given the number of homers we have here, I probably pass for a skeptic, at least in their eyes. But I am reasonably optimistic about Milliner. My first concern about him was his health, but once he got going he stayed in good shape, so there's that. He also seems to have learned quite a lot as the season progressed. And for comparison to someone like Smith, Milliner also graded out much higher in the first place. Ryan also seemed to take a special approach in talking him up. Normally I place limited value in that sort of thing, but Rex seemed to go even more out on a limb than normal, which add in his knowledge of defense makes me think something more than smoke blowing might be there.

To be sure Milliner is no sure thing to be successful, but I do have more confidence in him than I would but for the foregoing factors.

4. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Take the best talent at 18 whoever it may be, drafting great players is what makes you better not filling your rosters holes with lesser talent. I don't think the CB position is as weak as some make it out to be, Walls was better than Cro last year by a long shot so he can step in opposite Dee and give some quality reps. This draft has a bunch of WR talent in the later rounds(I like some of the 2nd and 3rd round receivers more then some of the 1st rounders) so I definitely expect us to nab one at some point.

I wouldn't be surprised if an OLB is the pick at 18 or even a OT, tough to say at this point we have to wait for draft day and see how it plays out, can't wait.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The notion that we should have keep Cro is absolutely nonsensical. Another opportunity for everyone to crap all over Idzik. Are we going to beat this horse to death for ever?. AC was done-done, played absolutely horrible last year, injury or not. He was a huge liability and a penalty machine. He depends heavily on his physical ability and he does not have it any more. John and the CS were smart enough to know he was not coming back and they saw a lot more out of our youngsters like Walls. At this point they are better than Cro. Getting a CB high in the draft is a smart thing to do any way. We absolutely need that as much as a WR, S, and TE. And quite frankly, RDC was another hit and miss CB who had one good year and a terrible couple of years, and he got a larger contract than he deserved.

I say this team will be better on both sides of the ball in 2014. I'm all for giving the youngsters a chance instead of always over reaching and over paying for short term stop gaps.

jonnyd likes this.
  6. Big Blocker

A fourth round pick at Cb has to be a very unlikely candidate to start. The Jets already have bench quality players at the position.

And as for wideout, again we all know that Kerley is a slot guy, but him and Decker have more talent than any two corners presently on the roster.

Going forward I highly doubt we get to opening day with nothing more done at Cb than adding a lower round pick.

7. Big Blocker

Nonsense about Walls and Cromartie. If Walls was so obviously better, how come the CS played Cromartie over him right on through the season?

#27 Big Blocker, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. SienaSaints

SienaSaints Well-Known Member

Not trying to attack you here and I know that every team has a ranked draft board. But its not like its Madden where there is clear cut distinction between players based upon rating. Chances are at pick 18 there will be 4 or 5 equally rated players at different positions.

9. OverloadBlitz

One of Rex's weaknesses is loyalty, I read the book "Collision Low Crossers" and it really shows just how loyal Rex really is to his players/coaches. I think his huge contract and ego would have made him being benched almost impossible. Cromartie does not take any type of criticism well as portrayed in the book and a benching might have set him off. Who really knows why the move wasn't made but its very clear from watching the Jets games that Walls was the better corner.

10. Big Blocker

Some organizations around the league get more respect than others. I am intrigued by Arizona, and think they made a great move getting Arians in there. They just missed the playoffs, and would have been in them in the AFC seedings, winning some big games. They are a solid organization.

I don't think an organization like that would have signed Cromartie if they thought doing so was nonsensical.

In any event the best one can make of your position is to add to it that NO alternative Cb in FA would have made sense to sign, leading to the inevitable consequence that the Jets will have to go Cb with a high draft pick.

I am not happy with this situation.

11. OverloadBlitz

Which is why I said its tough to say at this point and that we need to wait to see how the draft plays out, sometimes guys who are rated number 5 or so on your board might slip to 18 kind of like last year where #2 rated Dee was available to us at 9.

12. Big Blocker

Part of your post is pure speculation, essentially saying in a year that Rex feared for his job he was playing a player at a key position who was obviously worse than someone else. And I did not see that Walls was the better player.

13. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

My issue is that I'm sick of the Jets taking the approach of the defense being more important than the offense. We've invested 2 first round picks on CB's in 2010 and 2013. So I'd like to see if Milliner and Wilson can step up. We have Patterson, Walls, Lankster, and Dowling to round out the group taking a flyer on a CB in the later rounds is really not that bad.

Let's get some weapons for our QB. If Cooks or Lee is there at 18 we better draft one of those guys. This organization always drafts defense in round 1 and then takes a flyer on an offensive skill position player in the later rounds. Let's reverse that.

14. OverloadBlitz

If you didn't see that Walls was a better corner that's just your opinion and I respectfully disagree. Yes part of my post was speculation but based in part on a book I read by someone who spent a year around all of these guys.

15. The 1985er

And you know what's funny we've passed on players that were clearly needs just to draft "BPA".

In 2010 Justin Houston would've filled a need over Kyle Wilson.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't know about Walls but it was pretty obvious to anyone watching that Rex repeatedly asked cromartie to do something he was no longer capable of consistently doing which resulted in him getting abused regularly.

Point being I don't believe Rex was using his best judgement in that scenario last year.

17. Big Blocker

I am not the least bit happy that Idzik has mismanaged the situation at cb. But it is what it is.

We have seen enough of Wilson to know he is a nickel back. That's not going to change this off season merely because of need for a starting corner.

18. Big Blocker

Meh. I tend to question Rex more on the offensive side of the ball, at least until he got Marty on the staff. I think the reason he played Cromartie was because no one else would have been better, including Walls.

Imo, it's just wishful thinking to conclude that Walls is a quality Cb.

19. The 1985er

He was solid on the outside the year Revis got hurt. He's not a shut down corner but he's a lot better than he's given credit for.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good feedback. To be fair, I'm not that happy myself. Not so much in the free agency performance for a CB, but I thought trading for Joseph had a lot of merit and he would have been a perfect fit at CB for us.
    Having said that, I'm not at all convinced that our present situation at corner will change the strategy for selection in the first round and even second round. IMHO short of Barr falling to 18th (highly unlikely) or the top S and or CB still on the board, Jets will go offense in this order..Ebron, Lee, stud OT, Cook and or Beckman. This should make a lot of Jet fans happy.