Cap Update $3,877,647 (5/01)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Mar 13, 2016.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The #Jets have $3,877,647 in salary cap space, per NFLPA records. That includes every move made thus far.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sign some beasts!

74 and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sign a draft class :) ... well this could essentially be the same thing so yeah SIGN SOME BEASTS

FJF likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We should have enough cap space for Slauson. Also Hoyer only got $2 mil so we might also be able to add a veteran QB without cutting anyone we need.

Royal Tee and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

We need around 4 for our rookie class but if we cut Breno we save 4.3 then we could use around 2 of it for Slauson

Will-I-Am-Not and Royal Tee like this.
  6. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Just curious, who do you see playing right tackle if we cut Breno? Isn't Slauson only a guard?

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We can't cut Breno. We don't know if Qvale can start and even if he can, we need at least three tackles who can start if necessary.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

And who's going to play RT?

9. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

My bad guys thought he was a T

10. Beki

Beki Active Member

As our season already ended in October (sad but real), I think here is the time to take a look at our cap situation in next season.

According to overthecap.com, counting with 166M as cap number to next year, we are now above 1.1M.

Biggest cap saving if below players will be cut:
    Revis - 7.3M
    Clady - 10M (if we won't exercise our option)
    Mangold - 9.075M
    Decker - 5.75M
    Skrine - 3.5M
    Richardson - 8.069M
    Marshall - 7.5M
    Gilchrist - 5.375M
    Harris - 6.5M
    Giacomini - 4.5M
    Jarvis Jenkins - 3M
    Folk - 3M
    Henderson - 2.75M

These are only FYI details, so it is not looking so good right now.

11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Out of that list, I think Giacomini, Gilchrist are for sure goners. As for Clady, Mangold, and Revis I think we should keep them, but on restructured deals. I'm not sure it's realistic to do so but I think that would be the better course of action. Folk is tricky because he's a good kicker, but if the FA thinks they can get a rookie to take over the spot and be as automatic as folk has been then you may as well sign the young gun and let folk walk. Richardson should be traded, or wilkerson... personally I think sheldon is the better player but has off the field baggage that will make any front office hesitant.

Keep Decker and Skrine, perhaps trade Marshall to a contender, he has yet to make the playoffs and probably deserves to be traded to a contender. To me, the point is to maximize the wiggle room we can to acquire talent via the free agent market, but also through the draft. If we are really tanking then Macc should be trigger happy at the trade deadline to get rid of older veterans in order to get more draft picks.

12. Turd McGurkin

Turd McGurkin New Member

Revis and Restructure...two words that have never appeared in the same sentence before. I highly doubt the one player who maximizes his leverage 24/7/365 has any inclination to take less money and it is my opinion that Revis would jump at any opportunity to get released in order to secure another big guaranteed contract with significant money up front.

13. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Oh no doubt...that perspective was my admittedly naive. The only reason he may be more willing is given his performance has dipped and his leverage is not nearly as high as years past. Nonetheless, I don't expect him to actually agree to restructure

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Cuts:

Revis($7milion)-let's stop living in the past with this guy.

Giacomini($4.5million)-replacements have been playing well.

Harris($6.5million)-time to move on from the old

Decker($5.75million)-don't know how his shoulder will heal

Restructure:

Sheldon.

Clady- might leave, his value has gone up since staying healthy

Mangold

Keepers- everyone else.

15. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Cutting Decker is asinine.

Revis, Giacomini, Harris, Henderson, and Gilchrist should all be cut.

Trade Sheldon.

16. Red Menace

We have Marshal, Enunwa, Anderson, Peake.

When are we going to start developing young players?

Henderson and Carter are inexpensive, the jets still need veterans to blend with the young LB.

I'm ok with trading Sheldon, depends on what we get for him.

17. Martin&theJETS

You start 'developing' when they prove themselves. To have Marshall and three 7th round picks isn't smart. Depends on Smith.

We will be able to afford to keep them, because we won't be paying a QB north of 10 million for the next 4 years. If we are going to put a youngster at QB we need to keep the weapons and draft OL.

18. Red Menace

You don't think Enunwa has shown progress this year?

If these guys had a decent QB, I believe you would see progress. They have all shown the ability to make tough catches, and most importantly they all catch with their hands not their bodies.

Anderson could have about 4 TDs if Petty was passing to him.

I like what I see from the young WRs, but lack of good QB play has hurt them. it's not like we have 3 Stephen Hills out there.

Just my opinion

19. Martin&theJETS

I do agree but going into next season relying on 3 7th rounders is not smart. Especially for a first time starting QB. You need that proven veteran presence at WR, and Marshall and Decker bring that. Decker is easily worth 5 million. I do agree that Enunwa has looked great. But with the fact we won't be dishing out big money for a QB, the more weapons the better. Shit go 5 wide all the time. Let everyone grow. Having Marshall, Decker, Smith, Enunwa, Anderson/Peake is a lot better than if you take Decker out of the equation.

Red Menace likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For the most part, I agree with this list, but do have some differences.

I definitely think that Revis, Giacomini, Harris, and Gilchrist should be gone. Gilchrist hasn't played or led the secondary very well. I think they can replace him with a younger, better, cheaper player.

B Marshall may decide to retire, but if not, I think the Jets should seriously think about trading or releasing him. They're gonna need the cap space. I definitely think they should keep one of Decker or B Marshall to help Petty, Hack or whomever the QB is next season, and to be a leader among the young WRs. B Marshall drops too many passes, although I like him. He would give the Jets more cap space, however, so he'd be the one I'd look to move. Decker's health is an issue however. If his hip or shoulder don't look to be fully recovered, then he would have to go instead of B. Marshall.

Clady's play has been mixed, but if he's willing to stay for a cheaper price, then I think he should be kept. If he refuses to renegotiate, however, he should be released.

Jarvis Jenkins has been a pretty decent player for us, but they were high on Lawrence Thomas and Julien Obioha before they were injured and had to go on IR, so if I thought either would be ready for a reserve role next season, I'd think about releasing him unless they trade Richardson or Mo (which I doubt), don't need the cap space, or there aren't enough other FAs they like that they need his cap space.

#80 NCJetsfan, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Red Menace likes this.