Cap Update $3,877,647 (5/01)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BamaDoc, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Beki

Beki Active Member

Below are the details about how much cap space we have:
    NFLPA: 4.1M
    Overthecap: 2.281M
    Spotrac: 2.75M

2. Beki

Beki Active Member

Connor Hughes ‏@Connor_J_Hughes
    According to NFLPA records, the #Jets have $4.1m in salary cap space— does not include McLendon, Jenkins, Powell, Thompkins deals.

3. Zafara

Zafara New Member

So without big signing (except Powell) we need to do something, and fast ....
    Don't really like this

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you count the McLendon and Jenkins deals, we're over the cap. Ultimately, one of these three things will happen, and I'm not happy of any of them.

1. We go into the season with Geno and Bryce as our QBs (or get RG3 in on a really cheap deal).
    2. We trade Mo.
    3. Macc goes full Tannenbaum and restructures multiple contracts.

Even if we do the common sense things like cutting Breno and Folk and getting Brick to take a pay cut/cutting Brick and finding a cheaper replacement, we will still have to do one of the three things I listed.

Unless the coaching staff has great faith in Geno or Macc is delusional, it seems like he plans on trading Mo. Why else would he sign McLendon and Jenkins?

5. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

We don't even have enough cap space to sign our rookies (about $4 million). We have less than $2.8 million free (without the rookies) - http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/, and this appears to be without the McLendon, Jenkins or Sudfeld contracts (which are currently blank - McLendon and Jenkins should each be around $3.5 million/year for a total of $7 million, but I don't think enough information has been announced to figure out the actual 2017 cap hit yet). This is all without signing Fitz or another QB.

If they intended to restructure contracts, I think they would already have done so. To sign Fitz to a $7 million deal and the other contracts they've already agreed to would require about $14 million (they could have played some cap games by giving higher signing bonuses and lower base salaries, which might reduce it by a a couple of million or so) and another $4 million for the rookies. So they will need about another $18 million. Trading Mo gives them about $15.5 million. Cutting Brick gives them about another $10 million (but then you need to pay someone else to be LT, unless he's already on the roster). Cutting Breno gives them about another $4 million (roughly what they need for the rookies) and they've said Qvade could take his spot so they wouldn't have to sign anyone else. Trading Mo and cutting Breno barely gets them there but then they don't have enough money to sign anyone else.

I suspect that what they may be doing is hoping to keep both Breno and Brick on the roster until the draft and if they get an LT in the first round or second round of the draft then they cut Brick, otherwise they cut Breno. You don't need the $4 million for the rookies until you start signing the rookies, which, of course, wouldn't be until after the draft. That would mean they'd only need $14 million or so (if they sign Fitz), which they could free up just from trading Mo. I don't see anyway they can keep Mo given their cap situation. Mo is gone.

It could be they're also intending to do something else to free up cap space - the scenario that would free up the most cap space would be trading or cutting Mangold, which would save $8.6 million, but I don't see them doing that. They'd also save about $2 million by cutting Folk and about $1.5 million by cutting Brian Winters. The only other high-priced contract where there would be any significant cap savings by cutting or trading the player is Eric Decker and that would save about $3.5 million, but Decker has been so successful that I don't see them doing that. If they really want to go with very little free cap space until the draft, they could trade Mo and cut Folk and Winters (especially if they don't sign Fitz or another QB). I suspect there may be some kind of agreement with RG3 if fitz doesn't agree to terms by a certain date.

I expect that the trade of Mo will be announced in the near future as they need that money to finalize the contracts they've already signed.

Br4d and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread ... we could cut Breno and Folk for a total of 7 mil ... if Brick even takes a small pay cut that leaves us with close to 12 million in space ... which would include the 2.7 we've got on OTC ...

Getting Mo signed long term should net us another 3 million for this years cap

Add a few minor adjustments that MM could pull out his sleeve and we could be close to 18 mil

That could account for Fitz, Rookies, and the 2 lineman we signed ...

7. Jetsfansince95

Another scenario ... if Brick won't take a cut we would have to let him go which would net us 9.5 mil add the 2.5 we've got plus 2 from Folk and 3 by getting Mo locked up long term and we've got a total of around 17 to 20 mil ... but we would have to replace Brick with not many options available ...

8. HomeoftheJets

You aren't accounting for Jenkins and McLendon. We aren't 2 million under, we're 5 million over. And we need to be 4-5 million under by the end of this.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a great analysis of the median case at this point. It really could be this bad although the Jets will have options we don't know about because they've studied the whole roster in much greater depth than we have.

10. Jetsfansince95

I accounted for them as well... cutting Breno and Folk would get us 7 mil a small pay cut from Brick another 2 mil... the 2.7 in space = 12 mil.

MM would have to work some magic and get us another 3 mil by converting money ... if we sign Mo long term that should net us another 3 mil.

That would free up around 18 mil ... the 2 lineman we signed at 7 maybe less Fitz at 7 and 4 for the rookie pool.

Yes this is all at the best case scenario options lol

11. HomeoftheJets

You forgot about re-signing Erin Henderson and Randy Bullock. Also, Fitz will cost way more than 7M, and we can't bank on cap savings with Mo.

12. Jetsfansince95

I honestly think if we re sign Fitz it will be for a 2 year 16 mil dollar deal MAX with less of a hit for 2016 ... or we move on ...

13. Jetsfansince95

Yes for us to re sign our pending free agents it will take some cap maneuvering we're not sitting pretty but it isn't "cap hell"

14. Jetsfansince95

As much as I would love to re sign Henderson I think he's a goner most likely to OAK

15. HomeoftheJets

It doesn't have to be Henderson, but our only ILBs are David Harris and Taiwan Jones. We need an ILB and probably need one before the draft. I don't think Reggie Ragland is falling to us.

16. Beki

Beki Active Member

Connor Hughes ‏@Connor_J_Hughes
    The #Jets have $2.9 million in salary cap space, per NFLPA records. That doesn’t include McLendon/Jenkins deals.

17. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I just read that they restructured Carpenter's contract today saving 2.5m. Looks like a start.

18. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Resigned, 2 years for up to $5M

19. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

There is no way we can stay where we are so the question is who is getting cut or who is restructuring; Is this the correct thinking?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Someone can always be restructured.

Restructure = here's some more money up front mr. NFL player. We'll call it a signing bonus so it can be spread over a few years for cap purposes but you can put it in your bank asap.

But it will be fun to see the cuts/pay cuts we're expecting to finally come.