Can someone explain to me why Josh Rosen isn’t the lock #1 pick?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Feb 1, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Check out his highlights. This kid runs a pro style offense and can really sling it with multiple arm angles.

He must be a real jerk, because otherwise he looks like a flawless prospect.

legler82 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's clearly ahead of all the others. The big questions are:

1. His attitude and coachability.
    2. His concussion/injury history.

Speaking to #1, somehow he was able to be coached into being the premier QB in the nation. From what I've read about him what really scares a lot of "traditional" NFL'ers is that he's a free-thinker and speaks his mind...he's not the malleable robot they would prefer. Frankly I like that about him, and I think he would do great in NY with all the media - there would be love or hate, but in any case there would be excitement.

As for #2, that's a valid concern, but his talent is so great I think they need to look past that, If they somehow got him they need to focus on upgrading the OL big time, and it would also help to get a true feature RB that could take pressure - and attention - off him.

I'm going to hold hope until there is none that the Jets can get him.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

He is NUMERO UNO

Rosen ISGOLDEN

I would throw in mo Wilk and some other dead weight PLUS 4 or 5 first and second rounders to the Browns...DO WHAT IT TAKES

As I have posted all along grab Josh Rosen and don't give it a second thought

Hope all the negative hype continues with his attitude and concussions so we swoop in and SECURE A FQB...please God

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

In my opinion, He is the best passer I’ve seen in years and by all accounts has superior intelligence. I would lose it it the Jets finagled getting him

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think there are two issues with Rosen and they both could be major issues.

1. Injury history is undeniable, combined with #2 makes him a very scary high pick.

2. A lot of talk about him not loving the game of football. There is no way of any of us knowing if that is true or not but to me that is a major red flag. I want my QB to live, breath football.

Based on talent alone he’d be my second QB but unfortunately it takes more than talent to succeed at the NFL level. I do think he is worth taking a chance on still but his concerns make it a risky selection.

GQMartin likes this.
  6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The concussions are not a ploy to reduce his stock by scouts. He had them and it's a serious concern, not for a GM but for Rosen himself. If he's dealing with those issues now, what's going to happen at the next level when he gets destroyed by a safety on a blindside hit?

Or a blitzing LB that leveled him and his head slams into the ground?

The other injury he had in 2016 might be on GM minds as well, he had shoulder surgery on his throwing arm and missed the remainder of the year.

Even though he played pretty well last year demonstrating that he is healthy with regards to shoulder injury.

#6 Red Menace, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fair concerns. But if NFL execs ask players how they feel about their mother being a crack whore, I'm sure they will have tough questions for him regarding his commitment to football.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The answer is quite simple. The best QB doesn't always get drafted first.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  9. Broadway Bri

Broadway Bri New Member

I have always thought of Rosen as the best QB talent was in this draft. I do remember him back when he was in the Elite 11 with Dilfer and even then he did butt heads with coaches and Dilfer himeself talked about him almost being too smart for his own good. It is tricky combining that and the concussions and some shoulder issues. On tape though he is an elite pocket passer. I watched him early in the season complete a ridiculous comeback against Texas A&M and said I want this guy on the Jets.

10. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

1 & 2 pretty much nails it.

If he is somehow available at 5 or 6 and we haven't signed Cousins, then we will need to jump on him!

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Saying he doesn’t love the game, is just so stupid.

His injury past is concerning, but I think a lot of that can be prevented with a better offensive line and scheme.

I watched him a lot this season and his playstyle reminds me of Peyton Manning. I am NOT saying he is Peyton, but he looks like Peyton. Great arm talent, very accurate, capable of carrying the offense, etc.

He NEVER quit on his team in the A&M game anytimed THAT never say die attitude is leadership.

I don’t care about the hot tub thing. This dude is in college and if I knew someone with a hot tub in their dorm room, I would know that dude was the shit.

I want him to be a Jet very badly.

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Why is it stupid? If it’s true it’s very concerning.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t he love the game? Even if he didn’t, that’s not something that we will know. The Jets are the only ones who MIGHT be able to figure that out in predraft interviews. Regardless, I don’t buy it with him. If you don’t love the game, you quit when you are getting your ass beat against A&M. Physically getting hit and on the scoreboard. He was getting smashed in that game and willed his team to victory. You don’t do that if you don’t love the game.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Watch the 2014, I think, Elite 11 coverage and it should tell you everything about the supposed coachability issues. He's a "why?" guy; coaches don't like that; they want "yes sir" soldiers.

15. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Who here really saw Josh Rosen "a lot" this year? .....or the Pac-12 in general for that matter..

(and not referring to the "final TGG scouting reports" from LATE SEPTEMBER:D contained in a lot of the 'QB' threads)

BrowningNagle likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No Perfection in life Menace so ..Sign This Beast and get him a Neurologist from Mount Sinai in NYC..good to go...

Shoulder ? Call a Pain Management Dr or an Acupuncturist from China Town

Heheheh

17. ColoradoContrails

He's worth trading up for. I don't think he falls to #6.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Already rich too, maybe he will take less and resign if we got him!

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Maybe if coaches listened to the "Why's" more often they'd be more successful.

donkey and ukjetsfan like this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I watched many of his games and several highlight reels.

He’s an NFL ready, pocket passing QB. I think his floor is Dalton and his ceiling is Rivers+.