Ca n the OL be overhauled this offseason?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mainejet, Feb 15, 2017.

1. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think that's where the Pats succeed as well ...No one except a man named Brady is untradable. They are playing for their jobs every week. Your not doing it well he will etc. The depth they have makes them a winner that way. If we could improve our depth it helps eliminate the guys that just sit there and get fat on a contract or just have no one looking over their shoulder.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I'd take a shot at Luke Joeckel; he's still only 25. Drafted 2nd overall in 2013 draft; he was considered by many the best prospect in the entire draft. Coincidentally, his NFL comp was Ryan Clady. Like Clady his career has been mired by injuries in recent years. This past year he was moved to guard, unsuccessfully IMO. He still sees himself as a tackle and I think he is right. He did get to play LT one time last year against Baltimore while Meachum was hurt. I actually saw that game; he was susceptible a couple times to the inside move but looked pretty good overall. The talent is there. Like Carpenter, he is a former first round offensive lineman who I believe can resurrect his career here with good coaching. Our coaching staff can't seem to be able to develop young QBs but so far have a proven track record on developing young offensive linemen. Carpenter was considered a bust in Seattle and now he is our best offensive lineman. Who would have thought Winters would earn a lucrative 2nd contract after his first few years here? Shell looked like a CFL tackle in the preseason but finished the season strong. Now we think he may have a chance at being our future RT.

#42 legler82, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    blackssmagic and nicg4360 like this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Albert is a very good player but the Dolphins drafted Tunsil. Without a guy like Tunsil on the roster we don't have the luxury of turning our noses up and passing on these guys. It's not like this draft is loaded with all-pro left tackles.

nicg4360 likes this.
  4. nicg4360

We all can be sinical about every tackle that may be available to us this year and why not wait till next year. Let's just draft a QB like Watson and ignore the tackle position. Then we can watch him on his back all season or better yet we can watch him on the sidelines on IR. We can see a complete do over of the blow up that happened to petty in Miami all year long. Yea the tackles may not be franchise tackles but we need someone...Anyone that can either be serviceable or coachable in 2017.

TonyFtLaud and James Hasty like this.
  5. But why we do have to paralyze our ability to get good players at other positions just b/c we have a need at OL? That's where I draw the line w. this "OL or bust" crowd. Believe it or not sometimes it works the other way & a great skill player bails out a lousy OL.We've had some great OL's in the past but b/c we lacked any talent outside the numbers...it was for nothing.

It seems like some of you are programmed to believe that we somehow aren't allowed to address the rest of the offense until we have this stalwart OL in place. I just don't understand that line of thinking...especially when you look at where the game is going..and how much more important skill & athleticism is..and frankly the feast or famine nature of OL units league wide.

It's all relative. So this is the 1 year that OL isn't a strong position & yet there are some skill players available. Whether we have the OL pieces or not at some point we are going to need a playmaker or 2. OL is not a prerequisite. Skill players do not come around every year...we should consider striking while the iron is hot & take our chances addressing the OL in later rounds & future drafts.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd like to get Reiff if we can.

7. James Hasty

You can find OL in later rounds like you can find a QB in later rounds. Russel Wilson was taken in round three. Tom Brady went in tound six. Sounds simple right.

The reality regarding offesnsive linemen is that they are athletes. Sure technique is important but the biggest, strongest of the dancing bears with the grace or a ballerina and the speed of a racecar are taken early in the draft. Sure you might get a late bloomer in later rounds but the same could be said about any other position.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You will trade a franchise LT for a walking off-field problem + ticking time bomb all rolled into one, am I right? I knew you had that piercing insight. Why don't you apply for a GM job actually? I'd suggest the Patriots. I want them destroyed so much.

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This. 1000%.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It's about scouting.

Shell was thought to be awful when preseason came but he was still green. He was coached up throughout the year and played well to the point that many posters have penciled him in as a starter...and he was drafted in the 5th?

Yes getting a blue chip OL or starter would be awesome, who can slide in from day 1...those guys are usually the first 3 round guys. After that, you have to find guys you love, who just need a few tweaks or maybe a position change, or need work to fit your scheme.

11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Scouting is only a part of the deal.

Coaches need to earn their keep as well. Part of their job description is to raise up the young pubs to the point where they can go into the field and contribute. Jets coaches have been very underwhelming in this regard - especially on offense and QB - for the past decade or two.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. John Lombardo

John Lombardo Active Member

I can't think of a solid OT that may be available in a trade for Sheldon... Any Ideas? The one guy who came to mind was Albert because of Tunsil but the Dolphins just released him.

They definitely need to improve the line at a couple positions. I have a feeling Mangold will restructure and stick with the team, and Winters/Snell have some potential.

They need big upgrades at both tackles. I think a combination of FA and early draft choice will be the clearest path.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I say that you're not dealing with reality.

1) Nobody is going to trade their starting LT for a 3-4 DE or 4-3 3 Technique DT, especially one who is a moron, one screw up away from being suspended, who will be going into the last year of his contract, and has already stated in no uncertain terms that he expects to be paid in his next contract.

2) Yes, it's extremely simple and easy. I'm sure every FA LT (all 4 or 5 of them) will be picking up the phone and calling Mac and telling them they'll play for the Jets for free in 2017. After all, we have so much to offer them: a great CS with long-term stability, an inspirational and focused HC who is an expert at managing the game and making adjustments, an experienced veteran OC, a great OL for them to fit in with, a great franchise QB, and a record-setting offense.

3) Yes, this will be easy too since there is an abundance of plug and play, can't miss LTs in this great draft for OL, and no other team in the NFL needs an LT. Never mind that there are really only 3 half-decent LTs in this draft, and that the best one of the 3 only started one year for a major college and is coming off of hip surgery; the second best is already 25 and doesn't have a lot of experience, either; the third best may have the most upside, but he's coming from a small school, is the rawest, and needs to put on around 30 pounds of muscle. To make it more complicated, where the Jets are picking and where those players will most likely fall in the draft probably won't coincide, which means that the Jets would have to find another team willing to let the Jets trade down or up to get one of those LTs.

Unbelievable. Simply. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:o_O

#53 NCJetsfan, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    BamaDoc likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO he might be our only realistic hope for signing a FA LT.

nicg4360 likes this.
  15. nicg4360

As mentioned previously our very own James Carpenter was acquired due to Seattle considering him as a bust and he has worked out well here...We can at least consider we can develop OL and maybe resurrect Beachum's career. His age is also a positive....If he does work out.

16. James Hasty

Philly's LT is a potential cap casualty. I think that Sheldon is too much to offer but I am sure they would be happy to have him.

17. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I never said anything about Sheldon being traded straight up for an all pro? All you guys are fucking dingbats for assuming I posted that?

Based on talent alone, Sheldon is a 1st rounder all the way. But as many mentioned here, he's an idiot and a sure on going problem. That decreases his value somewhat, but many teams will be willing to consumate a trade for a veteran OT getting past his prime. We'll have to see what Mac can pull off in a trade. It may require an additional depending on who it is hat Mac covets the most.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

/end thread

There's not much available in free agency in terms of proven left tackles. We might go with a stopgap in Whitworth although I doubt it as I'd imagine he tries to break the bank on his final contract. Riley Reiff is the other option but he's more of a right tackle than a left tackle and I believe from what I've read, a better run blocker than pass blocker (which is a flaw for a left tackle).

I'd imagine we keep stacking mid round offensive line talent. Shell is unproven but showed up nicely at the end of the season. If he succeeds as even an average NFL tackle that puts Mac at 1 for 2 in mid round offensive lineman as I don't think Jarvis Harrison ever really dressed and has been cut.

The offensive line isn't in complete shambles, but we definitely need to get younger. It's just our luck that it's a weak year for offensive lineman.

I'd like to see us maybe draft Roderick Johnson from Florida State or Dion Dawkins from Temple in the second round, but that doesn't seem to be Mac's style so we'll see where he goes with it. It's a scary proposition to go into a season with an unproven and not greatly rated second round rookie as your starting left tackle.

19. James Hasty

If we need a LT to hold the fort for the next two years Albert can be that guy. He would be my target if nothing else becomes available.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Well said. This draft is very weak for O Tackles and I keep reading how we must take a LT at 6. The top 2 prospects would not grade out as first round picks in most years. Reaching for them leaves better players at areas of need on the board and sets us even further back since we will be needing to draft the position again next year.
    Obviously we need a LT. Claddy is gone , Ijalana is not the answer and is a FA. We will likely have to find one in Free agency