Bust Dupree

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Truth4U2, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

From Pro Football Now's 2015 draft guide, authored by Greg Gabriel, who spent 32 years as an NFL Scout and Director of College Scouting. So none of this is just my own opinion.

Bud Dupree, ranked #9 among OLB, Round 3 grade:

"Right now, he's a better athlete than player...can be a bit slow to react. Production doesn't match talent. Makes the plays he should but you expect more. Not flashy...still learning how to play.... A player you can win with, not because of."

And another scout quoted in that magazine says the following:

"I went back and put some Kentucky tape on and ended up with the same question - how much of his combine results will he translate to football? This kid should have dominated, even in the SEC, and he just wasn't as productive as you'd expect. .... the ones who are too good to be true at the combine always scare me the most."

Sounds like bust material to me!

JETS1116, TNJet and CleveSteve like this.
  2. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

3. Toronto's Biggest

Toronto's Biggest Active Member

I didn't watch any film on him up until the last week when his name suddenly go hot. I came away very disappointed. I will be lived if the Jets blow our high pick on this bust. He has zero technique and got by on just running into the OL and trying to outmuscle or beat with speed. He had no moves

And he was getting pancaked by TEs all season. I want no part of him. Get the bluechipper in Gregory - I'd rather an idiot who smokes a little green than the idiot who can't use technique

NoodleArm, BomberJet and REVISion like this.
  4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

While I agree in that I don't want Dupree you can teach technique so if we get him it isn't like they just have to accept him as who he is and do nothing to try and improve him. A lot of people are critical of Alabama players because it's believed that Saban gets so much out of his guys that they don't really take that next step in the NFL. Well, if Dupree has been doing so well on pure athleticism and drive instead of technique and you are able to teach him some technique you could have a guy with incredible athleticism, a high motor and some technique (not saying he's going to go from no technique to having the best but he could improve).

Anyway, just playing devil's advocate since I don't really want him either.

5. Toronto's Biggest

I can definitely see that side of the coin and it's a valid argument. Personally I'm just unnerved about the prospect of him not being able to pick up and apply any of these techniques.

Fingers crossed Oakland or Washington takes him like I've heard rumoured elsewhere

deerow84 likes this.
  6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

It all depends on your definition of bust. I see a lot of Calvin Pace in his game. Pace, himself, was a first round draft pick. While Pace never developed into a dominant double digit sacks guy, he still managed to carve out a solid 10+ years career. I think Pace was drafted further down in the draft order where I think Dupree too should be picked. Although he may never live up to being drafted 6th overall, he is able to do too much on the field to turn into an all out bust like Vernon Gholston.

EDIT: Bryan Thomas may be an even better comparison as he too had better measurables than production as a prospect.

7. Truth4U2

That's a fair assessment, and a good post. ... so based on that, I guess we agree that he's not worth the 6th overall pick. And that's the main reason I started this thread - he seems to be the trendy mock draft pick of the moment to us at #6.

8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Coming from someone who watched basically every minute of every UK football game this season, I would be highly disappointed with Bud at 6. He's a great athlete, and I do think he'll become a pretty good player in the league eventually. 6 is just too early for him.

For those commenting about his film, keep in mind that he had almost no help. UK's defense was atrocious last year, Bud was one of the few bright spots. Add that to the fact that UK plays in the SEC and you get some pretty uninspiring tape, I would assume.

BomberJet and Truth4U2 like this.
  9. Toronto's Biggest

I found this on Youtube when I was watching some game film. I noticed he was getting stoned a lot on the line and getting blasted by TEs. Whoever made the video breaks it down pretty well its worth your 11 minutes to watch this:

Truth4U2 likes this.
  10. Jedabe

Jedabe Active Member

The genuises over at NFL.com have him going to us at 6 overall in their official mock draft... Lol

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I would lose any faith and good will I have for this FO if this were to happen.

_

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Watch him turn out to be a pro bowler now

13. 74

74 Well-Known Member

6 is too high but he'll be a late first rounder. Mocking him to the Jets is ridiculous tho. The only OLB I want at 6 is Beasley. My friend is a Squealers fan and wants them to take Dupree badly. I wouldn't take him, I'd rather take a more sure thing. He's a physical marvel and showed flashes but the production just wasn't where t should have been for a guy with his gifts. You draft him for his potential of what he can be not what he is. It's a calculated gamble because the guy could be so beastly if he puts it together.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

John Abraham 2.0

I hope we go Dupree in the 1st and Hundley in the 2nd just to give all you guys the middle finger. Also I hope they both turn out to be pro bowlers because of it

16. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

More like Bryan Thomas 2.o. Johnny Abe was a one trick pony who was great at his one trick. Much like Dupree, Thomas was Combine Warrior whose workout numbers did not match his tape. Thomas developed into a quality starter with an all around game but not particular great at any one thing. I think Dupree will develop into the same type player; he kind of already is.

17. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who cares? Did we draft him or something?

18. Truth4U2

We might, a couple mock drafts have us taking him .... so we have to warn Mac and Bowles before it's too late! :D
    (too bad Bowles' last name wasn't Cheese lol)

19. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Dupree is moving up boards on his measurable's, and 'cause of Gregory's pot smoking and Ray's injury. That's why the mockers are plugging him in to us. That means nothing

He's a top prospect. He's viewed as more of a developmental OLB. tho. He's gonna go high, maybe 1st rd. When he's a beast in three years let us know.

20. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

People saying that he can learn technique - isn't it alarming to you that he hasn't learned ANY in college?

I don't expect a draft pick to be a polished product - but seriously - not even ONE pass rush move?

Truth4U2 likes this.