Bullying will not be tolerated.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Cman68, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Shut the fuck up

Fightin'JetTitan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Who are you to determine what is "stupid"? If you're an intelligent, mature, civilized human being, you ought to be able to either disagree with someone in a respectful fashion or simply not respond to their thread or post. There is no sensible, rational reason to respond in a disrespectful, insulting manner, and it shouldn't be tolerated.

The 1985er and Royal Tee like this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

An intelligent, rational person can certainly determine if a post is stupid; that's simply a repercussion of being intelligent and rational. Please explain why an intelligent, rational person would be unable to identify the stupidity of a post if they are intelligent and rational?

A thread started about Brady being on the injury report and believing it must mean he is actually injured, despite the fact that Belichick has listed Brady on the injury report pretty much his entire career, is a stupid post. Are you going to claim you don't find that post stupid and are unable to identify the stupidity in it? If you can identify the stupidity in it you just defeated the very question you asked me which was the basis of your disagreement with my post.

So which is it, you can't identify the stupidity, or you, yourself, asked a stupid question.

Neither option bodes well for you but they are the only options left to you.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Are are making six digit wif my 3 jobs 2 suport my gammling addition

5. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I bet you eat the pop tarts without frosting. Disgusting.

joeuser likes this.
  6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Disagree 100%. This forum is like a bunch of dudes sitting around a poker table in someone's man cave waiting for the Monday Night game to start.

If one of the dudes says something so stupid, so illogical, so irrational, he should be berated and shamed so that (i) he realizes how stupid, illogical and irrational he's been and (ii) he doesn't do it again.

_

74 likes this.
  7. joeuser

joeuser Active Member

(iii) Then chuckles because before you got home he had his pecker buried 8 inches in your wife's ass...

8. JStokes

Well she passed away so that's kind of creepy.

_

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Stokes, I started not liking you a while back, but I did go to JI to figure you out a bit, just to find out what person you were. I saw some really heartfelt posts about your trials with you wife's struggle.

I don't know if I'll ever know that kind of pain.

However, it seems like many times you use your late wife to make a point.

I'm not saying you shouldn't celebrate her life, but people are going to wonder about your constant reminders of her.

I've read those posts and she seems like was a great lady. She doesn't deserve to be used as a shame tool.

She was the love of your life. Celebrate her. I'm sure you do in many other ways.

#49 abyzmul, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    Dierking, gustoonarmy and 74 like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

To respond to your questions in order, an intelligent, rational person could certainly determine if he/she thinks a post is stupid, but that doesn't mean that the post is stupid in any absolute sense, only that that person thinks it is. To borrow a phrase that I think applies well here, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What you may think stupid, others think perfectly reasonable, intelligent or stupid. If there's one thing I've learned from posting on Jets boards for the last 15 or so years, it's just how differently people see things. Often times, there is no absolute wrong or right, just differences of opinion.

Of course we may all think a post is stupid at times, but that doesn't mean that we have to respond and share what our thoughts are on the matter. I used to do that, sometimes a lot, on Jets boards, but thank God I realized that there's no justification or rationalization for it. It's simply uncivil and makes others think negatively about you. The easiest thing to do when a post strikes us as stupid or we vehemently disagree with it is to immediately fire off a response. The hardest thing to do is to refrain from responding, or wait several hours, think about it, and then respond in a more civil, thoughtful manner. In the example you cited about Brady, you could just simply say that in your opinion it's a non-issue because Belichick has lied on injury reports for years. You don't have to call the post stupid. You can think it stupid all you want, but you don't have to tell the poster you think it's stupid. You could just simply disagree without qualifying how intelligent or stupid the post is or not respond at all. Chances are, when a post or thread is stupid or totally off-base, most people will just ignore it and not respond and it will die a quick death. To respond negatively, just keeps it alive, and often results in pissing contests on the board that drags the quality of the board down and bores everyone else.

No they aren't the only options, not by a long shot. I'm sorry that you think they are.

11. 74

74 Well-Known Member

So when did you convert to Jainism?

12. Barcs

Barcs Banned

There's a big difference between disagreeing and thinking somebody's point may be wrong in your eyes and flat out calling the person an idiot. I notice that many folks will just flat out insult a poster because they disagree with their opinion. To me, that is pretty absurd. You can make an intelligent conversation without resorting to ad hominem attacks like that. For example, "I think your point is wrong because..." rather than "You're a fucking moron if you think that" can go a long way. I know it can be funny at times and people can joke around, but insulting somebody rather than explaining your side of the argument and addressing their points is not only lazy but shows a lack of intelligence if anything. In my eyes, it boils down to respect. I know it's the internet, but there are plenty of people that have absolutely no respect whatsoever and would get their ass whooped in the real world for being so insulting and condescending. But since people are anonymous they have huge e-balls since there are no consequences for it.

#52 Barcs, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  13. NCJetsfan

No that poster shouldn't be berated or shamed. That's bullying.

Who in the heck do you think you are to try to teach or correct someone else? Who appointed you or anyone else the determiner of all that is true, logical, intelligent, and rational?

All you do or anyone else does when they do that is make an ass out of themselves. You/They demean yourself/themselves and cause others to lose respect for you. Hopefully, we're all smarter and better than that, but if not the moderators should see to it that we are or give people vacations. I can tell you that if I was a moderator here there would be others with long-term, if not permanent, vacations.

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the problem is that 90% of the folks that post on internet message boards really dont understand any of the nuances of the game. there are very few people who understand it in general and most of htem are not on internet message boards breaking down game tape of their favorite nfl team.

but there are even fewer that actually realize and understand that.

i didnt read through all of ncjets last post but read the one prior and agree with it for the most part. not liking or agreeing doesnt in any way give you teh right to act like a jerk.

now go fuck yourselves.

15. JStokes

Well when someone makes jokes about wives or mothers and such, it serves a purpose to remind strangers that maybe the jokes are in poor taste.

It's like when people say "retarded" they don't realize folks here have loved ones that are retarded. I think I used that term once and afterward I was ashamed that I did so. Same thing with gay slurs.

Not sure why folks need to resort to wife/mother/family jokes. I think noncombatants should be hands off, make fun of a poster all you want but leave family out, regardless if it's jokingly.

And I don't use her as a shame tool, I find remembrances of her instructive of how to treat people and how to live your life.

And yeah, I got the sense you don't like me which is ok. My world gets smaller every day, I don't have the time or the energy to make everyone like me like I tried 20 years ago. Too tiring and not worth the effort. In order to realize that I had to lose.....oh never mind, you know.

_

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

People in here really take the internet seriously.

17. JStokes

Again you're viewing fan forums differently than me. Again, for me, this is an Internet version of a bar or a dorm room or a card game.

Just a bunch of guys sitting around bullshitting and busting balls whilst waiting for the game to start.

Say something really stupid and you get called out for it. It's not an Ivy League debate club.

I guess we view football fan forums differently.

_

18. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

The thing I've noticed the most, when the conversation revolves around an issue like if Geno is the long term answer to QB (just as an example) all kinds of crazy shit goes off. We are Jets fans and passionate about our opinions. Ultimately though, we know in our heart of hearts it's a game and maybe we don't show others enough respect about their opinion of a game. When the topic is about an issue that really matters in the real world, like the abortion thread for instance. We have heated, yet civil debate.

19. JStokes

Yup, pretty silly. If someone says something monumentally stupid, why WOULDN'T you point that out with extreme prejudice?

_

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Not really it all goes to shit sooner or later . I stopped posting in the abortion thread because ppl were just makin mom jokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.