Bryce Petty Reportedly Suffered 'Considerable' MCL Injury

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Phew. Dodged a bullet.

Not saying injury is a welcome thing - it never is - but I was letting out a big, long sigh of relief when I learned that it was only grade 1 MCL sprain. Could have been much worse.

I hope he gets cut after this season, so he can go other teams where he can be treated like a legitimate material that he is.

NYJetsO12 and egelband like this.
  2. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

So the considerable MCL injury reported by Ian Rappaport turns into a sprained knee in which Petty could possible play in 4 days. Ace reporting.

NCJetsfan, NYJetsO12, FJF and 3 others like this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

After 2018, I doubt if Macc could pay Petty enough to stay here and continue being shit on.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

This is great news for Petty. Now how does Mac address the off line or can he possibly be happy with this mess he's assembled ?

egelband likes this.
  5. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Everyone loves to throw that out there that he was playing against backups but I appreciate that you stated he was playing with backups....almost our entire offence 1st and 2nd team would be considered backups by most teams.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Not bilal Powell.

Listen, I get it, he looked good. I'm excited to see him get another chance this year in the regular season. But it was 2 quarters, against back ups. He looked good in the preseason last year too.

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  7. Cman68

As long as Bowles won't play him with and against the 1's, how is the kid gonna prove himself? The deck is stacked in Hack's favor. Petty played with Powell and what happened? Big Play!

8. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

And he was never given a legit shot in the regular season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. nicg4360

Petty got a shot on a team that checked out and put in their time stamp for the year. I think he deserves a shot early. A QB can elevate a team and I think the Jets young team needs a guy with his excitement and Moxy. He might not be great but he's fun to watch...more than I can say for Hack.

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

They didn't even play with a legit gameplan. They gave him two options, games with only deep throws which has never won before or checkdown routes only.

11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The assumption here is that Petty will be fun to watch when he faces first team defenses.

FJF likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was big into the whole Hackenberg should start regardless mantra, but it's clear Petty is the better and more ready prospect of the two.

Petty is my week one starter without a doubt at this point. Stop messing around with this kid. Give him the first weeks. He can't be that much worse than McCown and he's shown flashes. We owe it to ourselves to at least find out if Petty can be a backup quarterback in this league.

If McCown starts and the team sucks and we stay with him for an extended period of time (6-8 weeks with a say 1-5 record), we should all be pissed off. It's the same thing as how we stuck with friggain Fitzpatrick til the bitter end last year. Frustrating.

FJF likes this.
  13. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

The assumption here is Petty playing even half decent will be the only way to both watch the Jets and have fun doing it.

14. Cman68

Maybe... maybe not.. Either way, we'll know for sure and for once, make an intelligent decision on draft day. Then again, knowing this FO/CS, they'll draft another defensive guy anyway.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

To be fair, every time Bowles tried to bench fitz the new qb ended up on the ir. Just like every qb that fitz has ever been back up to. Dude has some kind of charm or black magic or something. But yea, start petty,if he doesn't work start hack. Mccown isn't going to be much better

16. nicg4360

What are you preferring option B ( McCown) or watch Hack on his ass all year. It's not like we have the best of choices here ...it's more like the best of the worst if you wanna look at it that way and I would prefer Petty....even if he struggles does it matter....do you think McCown is going to be that much better. His track record says hell no.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

I would love to see petty start but just think for a second. We were on pins and needles over a Bryce petty injury. That's where we are at fellas

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Petty also seems like he'll last longer behind this garbage offensive line and shitty running game. I say that after he's been injured twice, but he has decent escapability as compared to Hackenberg.

Unfortunately it seems as though whomever plays is going to have a shitty time surviving the full season without being injured. I had thought our line looked decent on paper too.

19. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

I think whoever we put back there will be spending a lot of time on their ass. Based on the small and uneven sample size, I'd much prefer to watch Petty but this season shouldn't be about what I'd prefer to see. We're only 3 games in of a 20 game preseason for 2018 as far as I'm concern. It's all about getting a full evaluation of everyone to know who will be part of the future and who will not. Regardless of how potentially vomit inducing it may be, we have to come away with multiple full game tape on Hack this year.

FJF likes this.
  20. nicg4360

As much as Bowles may want to play McCown all year history is against him. For over a decade McCown has not managed to play more than 11 games and with our offensive line that's a givin. We will see our young guys play it's just a matter of when.