Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Every win with McCown at QB helps to set the franchise back.

Not even talking about the draft pick, Petty (or Hack) will never see the field unless 1 of 2 things happen.
    1) The Jets season is completely over without a chance of playoffs. Being 3-2 and the records of most of the AFC this could be a a while
    2) McCown gets hurt.

The worst thing that can happen this season is for it to end and not have any clearer picture if Petty or Hack could possibly be NFL Starters.

NYJ79, NY Jets68 and Cman68 like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The worst thing that can happen this season is for it to end and not have any clearer picture if Petty or Hack could Sandra M Murnane be NFL Starters.[/QUOTE
    ]

The bolded sentence is exactly the argument that many of us are making. But many others here have already written Petty off based on the few games in 2016.
    Myself and others feel that body of work was woefully insufficient, particularly since under Gailey, he was basically red shirted in the first year, never really helped to develop at all, given zero chemistry and timing with the starters, till most of them had already quit completely in 2016 , and the OL was non existent.
    People call him soft. I say that is BS. The horrific hit he took in Miami would have sidelined any body. Quite frankly last years team was a joke, poorly coached from top to bottom, populated by a number of over the hill malcontents, with the offensive play calling a laughing stock from top to bottom except for a couple of unsung heroes. We are not missing one of those we let go.....not one.
    Yet he looked better than Fitz in defeat, yep the Fitz that the wise coaching staff anointed the starter before snap one in pre season. $15 mil down the proverbial gutter. Tell me we could not have down better with Petty and invested the money on the OL or elsewhere. At least we would have solved the Petty argument.
    Point is there is some serious doubt that those offensive midgets really even bother to give Petty a fair chance, while they smother themselves in the past. 2017 will leave us wondering once again what we have, who we get, and are any of them the answer at QB.[/QUOTE]

3. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion and I am not saying that McCown had been great, but he is currently ranked 16th (via ESPN) in QB rating. The Jets have faced the #1, #3, #29, #30, and #32 rated defenses (in terms of defensive passing efficiency) in the league. McCown also ranks 18th in yards per attempt.

It's nothing to write home about and it may change going forward, but I'd classify McCown's play so far as average. I wouldn't exactly call it "leading", but to say it hasn't been "effective" is not 100% correct either.

I would say that McCown had provided a professional, calming, (steady if you will) influence that has allowed the offense to function. Whether that continues as the competition gets tougher or whether Petty could have provided the same leadership is another matter.

The Pats games will be huge because other than the Raider game, the Pats offense presents the biggest test to the Jets offense in the fact that they will have to score a lot of points to keep up. It will be interesting to see how the Jets O responds.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Completing dink and dunk passes 70% of the time is essentially the Cheats offense in a nutshell.
    Granted they do it very well, set picks, exploit mis-matches, and get a lot of YAC..

Do you think Petty would be completing 70% with this WR crew?
    especially to start the season with guys like Kearse, Kerley, the TE's, etc that were not even here for training camp?
    I like Petty but I don't think that would happen... that is why McCown is playing......to give Morton and this offense a chance to get it's feet under them.

Petty will probably get a shot later in season. In the meantime, he's practicing, he's learning the O, and he will be in a better position to perform once he does get another shot.

I've got no problem with how the QB situation has been handled so far.

Walt White likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The bold statement once again identifies the proper way of bringing a rookie QB along, AND is the very action that should have been taken last year, but Gailey failed miserably doing it. I'm comfortable knowing that it might be possible this year with Morton at the helm. Not to mention the insanity of not utilizing the TE as an outlet weapon for any QB not to mention a raw rookie.
    IMO last year was the perfect storm of bad coaching, over paid non value added personnel, and complete lack of forward planning for the establishment, development and fielding of a young, cohesive and hungry set of players.
    Call me crazy, but although more talented in many critical positions, I see the Steelers, Miami, SD, the Giants and many others unraveling in much the same way we did in 2016.
    If you don't reinvent yourself as the game changes and keep an eye on the future you slowly sink to the bottom of the heap, and once you get caught in that spiral, many teams don't have the leadership nor the knowhow to get back into the race.
    Lets hope Mac proves he is the right leader for the Jets.

NCJetsfan, K'OB and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

It's his job to win games. Unless the GM tells him to play Petty he will do what he can to compete now.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The GM can't tell Todd to play anybody because he's not the boss. Bowles will play who he plays and that's the end of it.

Ralebird likes this.
  8. hornblower

You want him to try to lose?

9. hornblower

Let's see, the Jets are playing for first place today and many on this board are hoping that they get blown out, try to lose, replace the QB win or lose, Bowles get fired at halftime and they get way behind early and Petty comes in and does well at garbage time. This fan who saw them win the Super Bowl loves watching this young team compete. Next year will take care itself.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I really do not think that any fans on this board are hoping we get blown out.

I truly believe that we would all be ecstatic if we should somehow pull out a W, however many of us would not be the least bit shocked if this game was not even close and because of that will not be very disappointed.

11. Cman68

Nope. Bowles will play who he plays. The "future" doesnt really matter at the QB position regarding the Jets. They'll simply do what they always do. Sign a JAG Vet QB to manage the offense. So be it. I stopped caring who plays QB a while ago. As tbey used to say: "Que sera, sera.."

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I really like Petty but McNown is growing on me. I hope Petty is learning a lot from him.

13. Cman68

and I hope Petty uses this knowledge on his next team too.

James Hasty likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The sad thing is you are probably right. As long as he goes outside the Division I will route for Petty to succeed Eve if it has to be elsewhere.