Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The idea that Petty must stink because if he didn’t he’d be playing strikes me as extremely dubious. By that argument no backup player who replaced a starter could ever be better than the guy he replaced, because if he was the coaches would have known it and started him. The reality is of course very different - backups turn out to be better than starters all the time. Practice is practice, not a game. Coaches aren’t infallible, and sometimes make bad choices, often for reasons that have little to do with who is actually better. Arguing that Petty shouldn’t play because he stinks, and he stinks because he doesn’t play, is pretty much the definition of circular reasoning and a self-fulfilling prophecy.

McCown has been decidedly below average this season, just as he has been his entire career. Appealing to him because of his track record of effectiveness is ludicrous, since he has absolutely none.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean the guy is completing 70% of his passes and managing an offense that's carrying a defense to a winning record more than a quarter into the season. He's doing exactly what he was brought here to do. If you don't see the benefits for all, Petty included, I don't know what to tell you.

Jets69 and FJF like this.
  3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Completing dink and dunk 70% of the time is no accomplishment. The Jets passing offense and overall offense rank 25th or 26th. His QB rating ranks something like 25th. His yards per attempt and yards per completion rank around 25th. If you think that that corresponds to an offense carrying a team to victory and represents effective play, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s pretty much the definition of below average, just like I said.

4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Sounds like just about every coach in the NFL. Every coach plans to win the game and plays the people that are on his roster that he deems necessary to win and that are in the best interest of everyone involved, whether they are a veteran or not. Outside theories from media and fans have no say, including: 'tanking', that Bowles is a special kind of idiot, or that anyone outside the whole coaching staff and FO, particularly media and fans, know any better about any player on that roster, or how he should be used.

#84 Walt White, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    FJF and Jets69 like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You know I respect your posting but to think a HC can't make a mistake with a QB is not a reach. I think Jerry Glanville used to use Brett Farve to win bets by betting people he could throw it to the 3rd deck of Atlanta Stadium. Never gave him a chance to play and look how he turned out.

Bill Bellichick admitted to handling the QB situation in Cleveland wrong when he was the HC.

Im not saying Petty or Hack are going to HOF, my point is simply that a HC can and have been wrong in regards to how they handled QBs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. The argument as to why Mccown is starting is bc Bowles thinks he gives him the best chance to win,no? While I'm not a TB advocate I'd venture to say that if Petty had given any reason at all to suggest otherwise he'd be starting.

I know pundits will point to the preseason snaps but that's a small part of the equation that frankly has to be taken w a grain of salt.. where were the reports of consecutive flawless TC practices,Leading the locker room,grabbing the job by the horns in meetings or anything else remotely similar??It never happened.

If you want to debate if he should be starting for reasons beyond this season..I 100% agree..but like it or not Bowles wants to win games & is gonna give the job to the experienced veteran unless the youngster beats him out..neither youngster beat him out.. Clearly the preseason sequence did not paint a clear picture of the holistic QB competition. Conspire all you'd like but it's barking in the dark at best.I don't like it anymore than you do

#86 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  7. Walt White

Right, in hindsight. Those a two pretty unique circumstances also. There's plenty of arguments for letting a guy sit too.
    But to say it's a mistake beforehand without considering the whole picture and other possibilities, like some posters here, is a stretch imo. Nobody here really knows what goes on internally and how Petty has done on the inside. Or how they really feel about him and what their plans are.
    I imagine also that John Morton is a part of the equation and could very well have input into this. I'm sure everybody can agree that Morton looks like a good signing and a positive change

But my post was more about the idea that a coach playing a vet can somehow be construed as a negative with some people. There's places everywhere across the roster that they've gone with youth for the better. I'm sure Bowles had a big say with who isn't here anymore and why. How about the safeties? Can he get any credit for them?
    In the end all coaches will play players that have experience with things on the line. No coach will risk losing do to inexperience if there's alternatives. The trick is to find a balance and to mix them in to gain experience. They're the better for it in the end.

#87 Walt White, Oct 13, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The safeties argument is fair and objective, do you think Mac might have to force his hand in the future?

I don't mean with threats, but tell Bowles that he will no longer waste money on jag and Bowles will have to develope one of the young guys.

9. Walt White

I think they're more together on what they're doing than some fans are saying, and we have to wait and see. That's my opinion. I don't buy that Mac's doing one thing and Bolwes another, similarly to what ultimately happened with Idzick and Rex. If it is like that we're fucked for sure.
    I imagine they weren't sure what they had with Petty and Hack and wanted to make sure they had stability at the position. They don't sign McCown and Petty and Hack can't cut it the whole thing comes crashing down. Do they like Petty, and maybe Hack still? Will they sign a FA? Draft another? It's still playing out I think.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, if they threw Petty in and he stunk, I'd be okay with that...at least we'd see what he can do when playing with the first team during meaningful games. If he works our or he shits the bed, either way, we know for sure - and maybe that's the problem: Macc and Bowles don't want Petty to show anyone he's capable because that would spoil the "Great Hackenberg Experiment".

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

HUH???

There is no way this offense is carrying anyone. More like dragging a comatose body around.

NCJetsfan and BomberJet like this.
  12. Walt White

You'd be okay with it. Maybe they have a better idea than we do. Maybe he'll play yet, or maybe they just want the foundation better laid and they like him for next year. Or maybe they saw that Petty really isn't capable yet, being that Morton and the rest have had him under a microscope for ten months.

But there's no way I'm going consider that they're doing what they're doing to hide the Hack move. Do you mean to tell me that if they thought Petty could win games and possibly be a FQB they wouldn't play him to censor a 2nd round draft pick because of Hack and sacrifice W's? That's crazy talk.

#92 Walt White, Oct 13, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Look, I won't dispute that the people running a team have waaay more first-hand knowledge than I do, but knowledge alone doesn't mean you're going to be right. If that was true, every GM and HC would be infallible. "Forest for the trees" syndrome can happen. Sometimes people farthest from the action can see things that escape those up close. And when a lot of people in the "peanut gallery" are seeing the same thing, maybe it carries some validity.

When I say I'd be "okay" with Petty flaming out, what I meant was that I'd be happy to see him proven one way or the other.

And yeah, maybe my paranoia is showing, but people do some strange things to cover their ass.

14. Walt White

Do you like John Morton as the OC? Does his knowledge count for anything, or does that get discounted also?
    Because a few fans have the idea that Petty could be a FQB but they don't really know until they see him play; do they think that is a concept that Mac, Bowles, and Morton don't understand or discount? Maybe for ulterior motives as some have thrown out there?
    If Petty's any good it will show eventually, and the team will be better, and he'll be better for it.

15. ColoradoContrails

I do like Morton so far, but is it his decision to make the starting lineup? And maybe Petty really isn't good enough, but I think he's shown enough flashes to warrant going with him over a guy who definitely isn't going to be the FQB.

You're advocating patience, but after waiting for 48 years, my patience is worn out. I don't give a damn if they're mediocre, or squeak into the playoffs, I want a SB appearance, if not a win. I have enough patience to wait and see if the current group can grow into a foundation that can support a SB run in a year or two, but having McCown play the majority of games this season doesn't move that plan forward.

NCJetsfan, Cman68 and BomberJet like this.
  16. Walt White

I was disappointed after last year and thought I had had enough. I was furious with Woody, Rex, and Idzick too. But the direction they've taken kind of rejuvenated me because as a fan I enjoy the rebuild stage of a team a lot. I'm enjoying seeing all the new young guys developing, and a new team taking shape so I'm hopeful. I go back to '82 so I know the disappointment.
    I'm enjoying this tho, even if they lose a bunch in the short term. I think we'll see this FO into next year and I try to look forward to see what direction they'll take for them to get over the top. The QB being the obvious critical issue. I just doubt Petty's it and will wait to see what happens this year and the coming offseason.

17. ColoradoContrails

I can certainly appreciate the effort and (small) progress made so far, but maybe I'm just too cynical after all the years where a little small progress and success, in contrast to all the failures, seemed like it was enough. Two years ago was "classic Jets": Make a run and get everyone's hopes up, but it was an illusion, as anyone looking with an objective eye could've seen. And the decision by Macc and the FO to resign Fitz and put off making the foundational changes they needed to make is what makes me skeptical of their ability to make the right decisions now. Macc has made some good moves, but he's also made some bad ones, and his timetable may be too slow for me. After all this time without a championship I would advocate much more aggressiveness than he's shown, and I sure would've focused on the "O" at least a little bit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I can handle this year being a shitty year if it results in a great draft position, but I don't have the patience for a "Five Year Plan", nor the faith that Macc & Co. are the ones who can do it. That said, I'm not rooting for them to lose, I just want my years of patience and faith rewarded in my ever-dwindling lifetime.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

For now Luke is the QB. And if anybody falters, Christian would get it second, then Bryce would be third in line.

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Luke?

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There is absolutely nothing correct about this post
    Well done

Ralebird and Cman68 like this.