Bryce Petty myth

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Was Petty given the same opportunity to play this preseason.. Yes or No?

2. And yet despite Fitzpatricks acute shortcomings he was still able to move the football & command a Chan Gailey offense;Hell same w Geno!!Both looked light years ahead of Petty in every single aspect. If you wanna say it was the pass pro or being green fine but I'd call to mind Greg McElroy from the recent past whose OL in front of him still holds the franchise record for most sacks allowed in a game;Even he showed me more than Petty has & that was under FG fist bumpin Sparano n Clyde Gates as his #1 target.And really..if he was that off the charts talented wouldn't it eventually become clear that the scheme was holding him back??Maybe you feel that way..I never got that feeling

It's not about impatience at all..it's about tangible body of work...does having a big arm & possibly being hampered by the prior coaching staff change the overall prognosication??Is the fact that he's still at rookie level 3 years in supposed to make us feel better? Doesn't part of that fall on his inability to learn or adjust??

Other than a perceived big arm,a few preseason throws & the suggested hampered development what exactly has he showed to suggest an ascension is on the horizon other than blind faith?? Why aren't teammates or the media clamoring for the guy??

QB is a funny position.A guy can have all the skills on the field & off n still be unproductive in an NFL offense.While time is necessary to learn mechanics,film study,scheme & chemistry after awhile it's either "you have it or you don't".maybe we aren't at the breaking point quite yet but we're dang close

#22 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    FJF likes this.
  3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

My suspicion is that if Petty was 100% given the starting job and you went with him as your QB you would get a poor man's version of Brett Farve. No fear gunslinger tough SOB type but that comes with maybe more than your fair share of interceptions.

That would be the template.... who knows how good (or bad) the final result would be though. Even if it was disastrous I think it would be kind of exciting along the way. I like Bryce Petty and hope he gets a legit chance sometime and somewhere. Who knows it might not be disastrous. I think him getting a chance and totally kicking ass is within the range of potential outcomes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Likeable kid from a nice family just like Hackenberg

He is more talented than Hack tho

Bryce is not terrible but he has not shown enough, even with limited playing time to be first string

Gun to my head I think the tank is full on with him at QB ...then again we can will lose with McGown just the same

I say let the kid get some playing time and we welcome Darnold, Rosen and a new HC in 2018

5. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He looked loads better this year despite playing in pre-season with guys who sucked so much they weren't making the team.

Based on that, he'd probably do even better with starters.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You're leaving out a key part here and I think you know it but you also know it hurts your argument so you left it out.

HomeoftheJets, FJF and boozer32 like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Hackenberg does suck. If he was even a little bit good he would be starting. There is a reason they signed McCown. There is a reason why people are wanting to see Petty and not Hack. There is a reason Bowles gave him 3 preseason games to show something, anything. There was a reason for Mccown to not play after 1 game in the preseason.

8. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Tough? He gets hurt if the D breathes on him too hard. He's been injued in 3 years more than Favre was his whole career.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Petty.

It’s funny, you could swap a lot of names in for Petty across the years and the end result would be the same. Another product of the Jets quarterback machine.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

What pisses me off is that this was supposed to be a rebuilding year. Now I understand we want to have a functional offense so that the young receivers gain experience, but I think priority #1 should be figuring out our future at QB. I wasn't overly impressed with Petty's performance last year, but I know 100% that McCown won't be our QB in say 3 years. We're squandering that chance this year by giving McCown these starts.

Lets say for a minute that McCown plays most, if not the entire, season. Where do we go from there? We yet again have a lot of unanswered questions at QB going into this offseason. Do we continue to start McCown even with (I assume) a much better roster around him? How is that building towards anything long term? What about our young QBs? We don't know because we haven't given either of them the opportunity play more than a handful of games. We could always draft another QB, but then how do we know he will be any better than our two unknown QBs?

I get that coaches and players are always going to play to win. I am not saying they shouldn't, but we are missing the opportunity to see what we got in our young quarterbacks. While winning the next few games could change my outlook, I see keeping McCown in as detriment to our long-term future as a franchise. I still believe that Bowles will get fired eventually for failing to do much with better talent and we will look back at this year as a failed opportunity.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hope you weren't referring to me, because if so, you're mistaken. I've said every time the subject has come up that it's too early to give up on either one of them, especially Hack because he's just 21 or 22.

12. Congratulations you just made me laugh uncontrollably..pure gold

Jets81 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Brady and Dak didn't have to learn to take snaps from under center, and read Ds. The Cowboys and Patriots have excellent CSs, the Jets have not. Huge difference.

14. NCJetsfan

If you really think McElroy showed more than Petty, then I have nothing further to say to you on the subject of QBs. IMO you may know OL, but you're blind when it comes to QBs.

15. you're entitled to your opinion & hey I was wrong about Paxton Lynch so maybe your onto something.

McElroy at least executed the offense,showed some command & tried to work past the OL deficiencies.Petty has shown zero command,stares down the rush & makes questionable decisions..no doubt Petty has superior talent but I'll take Mccelroy's production at this stage;It's sad that I'm having to defend Greg McElroy in any argument but the truth hurts.

I am however a bit befuddled by your conviction for Petty..I certainly hope you're right but I'm troubled when I hear your rationale. We go back a long way w posts on here & rightly or wrongly you w.o fail provide supporting points for your arguments..this is one of your poorest examples to date. Still respect you though

16. NCJetsfan

Petty has shown no command. Wow, just wow.

I have provided plenty of rationale in the discussions regarding Petty. He showed total control and command of the offense in preseason action. He showed accuracy as good as McCown's, and can make all the throws, where McCown cannot. Petty moved the team down the field and put up points. He gives the Jets the deep ball option, which helps open things up for shorter routes and the rushing attack. He can pick up yards with his feet, but looks to throw first and foremost. He was reading Ds and making good decisions. In spite of having been shown zero respect by his HC, Petty didn't complain, whine or quit. He worked harder and played better. At the very least he can be a very good backup QB. If we draft a QB next year and that QB can't play immediately, Petty could start until that QB was ready. He's smart, has a great work ethic, and a desire to be as good as he can. He at least offers potential and possibility for the team. McCown gives this team nothing long term.

Lupz27 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. If the argument is he should be starting over Mccown..I agree wholeheartedly..but that's a far cry from showing signs of being a longtime answer at QB & the furthest thing from a glowing endorsement.

If you have a gut feeling & conviction about Petty,There's absolutely nothing wrong w that but understand the evidence is strongly to the contrary whether Im vision impaired or not. And that's not just game action that's going off TC reports from both media,fans & (in at least his rookie season) going to TC on my own accord. The tools are there I'll grant you that..but that's never been the question w Mr Petty...at some point he needs to make a stand & stake his claim which he has failed to do to date

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

If Petty has the goods he'll be here next year under much better circumstances for himself to succeed. With a better, more developed team around him, with better tools. Having a year under his belt working with Morton.

Not buying this stuff that Petty is getting fucked over. This a long term build. If he's worth a damn he'll get his chance. Not buying that there's this chasm between Bowles and Mac and it's creating a dysfunctional approach either. Don't buy the the 50 years of futility being heaped on them either. They're looking towards the future trying to build the whole team. Whether it's Petty, Hack, a drafted QB or a FA QB, or any combination of that.

The whole tank bullshit and that the team was the worse talented team in the league from the horrible shit media has created a panic it seems with some of the fans. There's some major wailing goin' on, lol

Ima enjoy rooting for the team and watching the new wave of young bloods and how they all develop. They're competing their asses off. And think about next year when I believe they're gonna start to accumulate more talent via FA and another draft and hopefully get closer putting a good team out there to compete for title.

19. NCJetsfan

No one's saying that he's the definite long-term answer, just that he deserves a chance to show what he can do and be. The Jets have something to gain by playing Petty. They have nothing to gain by playing McCown and a lot to lose (getting a real chance to evaluate Petty and Hack) and get them some invaluable playing experience.

20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're absolutely right. The Jets should do college QBs everywhere a huge favor by not drafting them anymore.