Brutally honestly grading All of Mac's drafts

Discussion in 'Draft' started by 6-10 once again, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Leonard Williams- hasn't lived up to any of his hype, is practically invisible some games. Grade- C

Devin smith- a tiny speedster with a skeletor like frame, should have been a 7th round pick at best- Grade- F

Lorenzo Mauldin- feels like we drafted him for his story and we didn't do our due diligence. Grade D-

Bryce petty- going for a Qb is something I'm always in support of but you can't go drafting the worst Qb in NFL history. Grade-F

Jarvis Harrison- Swing and a miss. Grade F

Deon Simon- nothing to write home about but he was a fine 7th rounder. Grade B

Overall grade- D

2016 draft

Darron lee- I'm probably gonna get trashed for this one but I think he was a pretty bad pick. He gets burned often and doesn't put up big sack or tackle numbers, we could replace his minimal production with a cheap free agent signing. Grade- C-

Hackenberg- always good to draft a QB but once again mac proves he can't evaluate talent at the most important position, his two qb picks are two of the worst in NFL history. Grade- F

Jordan Jenkins- Jenkins is solid, he is exactly what you want out of a 3rd Round guy. Grade- A

Juston Burris- not a fan of his play, makes an occasional int but looks clueless often. Grade- C-

Brandon shell- Good pick for the 5th round, always good to build the oline. Grade- A

Lachlan Edwards- shitty first year but better this year, still a waste of a pick as good punters and kickers can be picked up after the draft. Grade- D

Charone Peake- looked like he had talent but there was a reason he dropped, can't blame Mac for trying. Grade- C

2016 overall grade- C

2017 draft

Jamaal Adams- to me if you are drafting a safety top 10 he better be a guy who is a ball hawk. We also passed on Watson and even mahomes would have been a good fit. Mac got enamored with a players personality and it cost him, Adams will be a solid player but we deserved more then that. Grade- B-

Marcus Maye- a better player then Adams, goes about his business and does everything you could ask. Grade- A

Ardaius Stewart- better receivers were available but Stewart looked like a good hard nose receiver. He didn't get much play but I still saw enough to like out of him. Grade- B

Chad Hansen- not a fan, not sure what Mac was thinking. Grade- F

Jordan legget- seems like a pick wasted at this point. Grade- D

Dylan Donahue- got some play if I recall, nothing to write home about but nothing to cry over. Grade- C+

Elijah McGuire- good vision and really nice cuts, consider me a fan. Grade- A+

Jeremy Clark- meh injured most of the year- grade- C

Derrick jones- Bad. Grade - F

Overall 2017 Grade- B-

So Mac seems to improve his draft every year, but his top picks to me are extremely overrated by jet fans.

2. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

This is not very honest. An F for Chad Hansen?

3. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

Lachlan Edwards broke the team record for gross/net punting average. He at least deserves a C- for these milestones.........

4. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can grade Leonard Williams as a C pick. He was largely regarded as the best player in the draft; some thought he would go #1. That he hasn't lived up to his hype is really not on Mac. It's either on Williams himself, or Bowles for being unable, or unwilling, to develop him.

NCJetsfan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  5. 6-10 once again

Yeah he is a waste of a 4th round pick, practice squad level guy

6. 6-10 once again

It's up to the GM to see he isn't a gamechanging talent and to pass on him.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

hanson gets an f but he might be better than stewart, who got a B? one guy is hurt all year gets a D another gets a C?
    yea, sorry if i don't take any of this as an intellectual post

stinkyB, grkmanga31, Dom and 6 others like this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. 6-10 once again

Stewart is a better prospect then Hansen, he is kind of like a poor mans juju schuster. You could see the jets trying late in the season to get the ball in Stewart's hands on some reverses which was interesting. Hansen has no qualities that jump out, at least Stewart is hard nosed and exhibits toughness. I can find Hansens on the scrap heap

10. FJF

stewart looks athletic but i think its telling that hanson was the one getting throws down field after kerley left. hanson looks to be a smooth, good route runner with nice hands .

11. 6-10 once again

As a 4th round pick I want you to have the ability to become something more then my wr4 as your ceiling. He reminds me more of Austin Carr who we could have just signed when he was cut from the pats practice squad. He just seems like a JAG at a position where jags don't have much value.

12. FJF

And he is getting more reps and looks than the 3rd pick you gave a B too.
    Your grades are a joke and should not be taken seriously

Mogriffjr, 101GangGreen101 and Jets69 like this.
  13. 6-10 once again

I am willing to concede that the grade of Stewart is off, I guess I have a strange bias towards hard nosed players, I stand by an F for Hansen though. I truly believe players of his caliber are on practice squads throughout the NFL, he offers virtually nothing in regard to upside. It's Stewart small chance of becoming a Steve smith type player that keeps me intrigued. But yes I will concede that both are awful picks. Wish we had taken Godwin like we had all hoped

#13 6-10 once again, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    boozer32 likes this.
  14. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Not going to comment each of your evaluation but You win some and lose some in every draft. Unfortunately imo Mac did a quite of few more misses. However he could redeem and have a better or more success draft in 2018. Hope we find more impact players.

15. jets12

jets12 Active Member

Great assessment, I am just surprised the clueless Johnson's did not give him a 5 year extension off this piss poor performance. This organization is a joke and they are hurting so many good die hard fans that deserve a winner, not ownership that condones mediocrity.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I think these grade could improve immensely if Bowles wasn't the coach. Except for D. Lee and Hackenberg. There is no hope for either of them. Great job Macc...not. I think you could throw darts at a draft board blindly and do a better job. You're right its a very honest assesment of Macc's draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Hanson is a slow scrub. Key word there good route runner. That's code word for uber slow in the NFL. He'll be practice squad bound next year.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Jordan Leggett got injured, he may turn out to be a great pick. Should be incomplete at worst.

Charone Peake was also injured this year. For a seventh rounder he still has tons of potential.

On the other hand I am not sold on some of the higher grades except for Maye. I hated the pick at the time but the kid is a stud. Who says the Jets can't draft in round two?

19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Good job. I think this thread points out an objective take without any bias or favoritism.

With that said, I would disagree slightly with some of the grades. I think you're jumping to conclusions a little too soon in regards to the 2017 draft. Ardarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, and Derrick Jones are all various spins for the HC not utilizing them or not giving them a chance to show their potential. I would give it some time before I called those picks out. It isn't their faults that the HC wouldn't or couldn't utilize them. If anything Jordan Leggett is probably an incomplete? He was injured and I'm not ready to call him injury prone either.

Is it possible you're giving Adams a B+ because you are upset Mac didn't take a QB or someone else you wanted Mac to take? He was the BPA and graded out as possibly the best player in the draft. I'm sorry but you cannot reject the opportunity to do that. That's a pick you MUST make. I don't care that Deshaun Watson was taken later on. It is what it is. Mac MUST get a QB this offseason.

But all in all, I agree with your take. For the most part the 2015 and 2016 drafts have turned out to be hot garbage with 2016 being slightly better than 2015. Really what it all boils down to is how you think the pendulum is swinging in regards to Mac? The 2017 draft was a good draft. So do you think he's turned the corner and now he's a truly great GM or do you think 2015 and 2016 is much more representative of Mac's drafting prowess and therefore he should've been fired?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lmao at Peake vs Stewart/ Hansen grades. I give this thread an F-

stinkyB, Mogriffjr, wampa and 2 others like this.