Browns to Cut Josh Gordon (Traded to Pats)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by FJF, Sep 15, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Those boundaries and structure sure helped Hernandez

2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Patriots strengthen a weakness. Low risk high reward. Do you think the Jets should have made a play for him?

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Patriots will send a 2019 fifth-round pick to Cleveland in exchange for Gordon. The teams have also agreed that the Browns will send a 2019 seventh-round pick back to the Patriots in the event that Gordon fails to play 10 of the 14 games left on New England’s regular season schedule.

fansince90 likes this.
  3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Yeah Tom Brady.

JetBlue likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

He wasn't worth it to the Jets.

NYJ aren't a win now team, who knows if they have the locker room leadership in place to handle a guy like this.

After what happened with Santonio Holmes I'd be very wary about bringing in a possible cancer.

The Jets have to be careful about gringing in big name offensive guys have to make sure it's the right guy. Goes for Leveon Bell too.

Right now this is Sam Darnold's team bring in a guy like Gordon or Bell who will demand the football it could hurt Darnold. I'm not saying Bell isn't the right guy just saying they have to make sure he is.

HomeoftheJets and GQMartin like this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

No way I'd want that guy on this team... Patriots are one of the few teams I could see taking a flyer as they have a tight locker room with veteran leaders.

fansince90 likes this.
  6. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Poor guy. Another teammate for Tommy to screech at like a girl and blame.

7. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Back to back AFC championship appearances?

8. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

The Patriots are the greatest football franchise in NFL history for a reason.

9. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

He quit on Cleveland...no different than the Buffalo cb. They stuck by him through thick and thin...he just wanted out. Cant blame him though...he wants to win.

10. I know they performed badly & lost the game but the body language on those players is not good for week 2 football never seen that from a patriot team this early in the season really ever

Edit:Maybe the Lawyer Milloy revenge game against Buffalo??

11. Nate varney

Nate varney Member

He’s under team control next year I believe so maybe 2 years for cheap

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

He's a restricted free agent, so the Patriots can tender him for about $2 million and either sign him or get back a second round pick if someone else signs him (he was drafted in the second round of the supplemental draft). Unless he's a complete disaster that seems like a no-brainer.

I didn't want him for a third, but I hope that the Jets offered at least their own fifth and were turned down. I could see that being the case - the Browns might think that it's a lot more likely that they will be competing with the Jets in the next two years for a wild card spot than that they'll be competing with New England for home field in the AFC championship game. I'm surprised the Seahawks, Cowboys, or Niners didn't offer more.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The Patriots without Gordon are still better than the Jets with Gordon, so the Pats having Gordon in no way, shape or form has any significant impact on the Jets success.

I could understand Jag fans being upset at the Pats getting him instead of them as Gordon could be the difference in the Pats beating them in the playoffs. But Jets fans whining about a move that won’t likely won’t impact the Jets season in any significant way? Just ridiculous.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

15. We play them twice a year,theyre our biggest rival,their coach hates us/betrayed us,they cheated against us..beyond that Gordon is a player that couldve helped us just as well w low risk/high reward. i mean nobody says you have to partake in patriot hate or agree but what am i missing here?Call it whining all you like but ridiculous?You & i go back a long way on here.I respect you quite a bit..so i guess we’ll just agree to disagree.Im happy you dont have to live here in shady brady land.

dogg likes this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is we aren’t really competing against the Pats this season in the sense we arent likely to have to beat them to achieve a specific goal — make the playoffs, win the AFC or Super Bowl. the Pats are probably going to win 12 games and we are going to win 6-7. The Pats getting better with Gordon makes it a bad trade for the other AFC playoff teams, but if we got him we likely still don’t win the division or beat them in the playoffs so the Jets having Gordon doesn’t impact our ability to beat the Pats and vice versa — the Pats are going to beat us whether they have Gordon or not, so the Pats getting him doesn’t really have an impact so no need to have the Jets go after him out of concern for whether he would make the Patriots better than us. They already are.

17. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

It is my understanding he has been drug tested not only by the league, but also by the team. It is also my understanding he has a drinking problem.

As far as I know, the NFL drug test or policy does cover alcohol for folks with a drinking problem. However I don't know how a drug test can check for alcohol consumption if its not immediate. It appears he may have shown up drunk for practice.

In any event, I think the Pat's chances for him working out is less than 5%.

18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I feel long at this point, there was no reason to quote that.

19. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Well, I was very wrong about him going to Pats, but I still feel he is not the player everyone remembers. I'm sure he'll catch a TD or two since he's playing with Gronk and Brady and everyone will declare the Patriots geniuses with this sly move, but I don't think it works out for them.