Browns Fire Hue Jackson

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by CotcheryFan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Though apparently, a bunch of those games were week 17 matchups, so they were just routine end-of-season firings rather than "you lost to the Steelers again? Get lost!!" Still an amusing coincidence.

I wonder if this was Gregg Williams' plan all along. No way he takes the job without knowing Hue was a dead coach walking, and you see a bit of the friction bet. Haley and Jackson during Hard Knocks.

I wonder who's going to be the team for next season's All or Nothing. I'd pay to see this train wreck behind the scenes.

#21 NYJ79, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This move is about the off-season, they fired Haley because they are going to hire a young OC like Mcveigh or Nagy and he will be in charge for the next 4 years mentoring Mayfield.

Teams are starting to look at Rams and Eagles and Bears on what to do to give your young QB the right mentor.

Don’t be surprised if Rosen has a new offensive minded HC next year as well.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It they could have hired that guy and then let him take pick of the litter in a pretty good qb class. Then just go in to the season with the new look and quietly lose games . This move today just reinforces the Browns as a dumpster fire meme.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Dorsey was hired in 2017, for the sake of continuity as you well know and because he was the hottest assistant when he was hired in 2016 Jackson was kep by Haslam.

In John Dorsey’s year and half in Cleveland he has managed to draft a potential FQB, and now the owner is probably going to allow him to hire the next HC.

You see where this is going?

The same thing Jets fan have been expecting 4 years into this regimes career, Dorsey and the Browns are already setting the wheels in motion for growth into their third year or maybe fourth.

Dorsey was pretty successful as GM of Chiefs. I’m not going to kill the Browns a year and a half into their GMs career, I’ll be more than happy to blast them if in 2 years Dorsey has not gotten that team to a winning record and they are still a one win team.

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The problem in Cleveland was Todd Haley causing disharmony as usual.
    If he's not fighting with players, he's fighting with other coaches......this time it was Hue Jackson.

Dorsey didn't feel that was the right environment for a young team, so he made a move.
    But ownership should have cleared out the coaches before the season.

On a side note, I'd love to get Gregg Williams as DC next year.

Cman68, stinkyB and Harpua like this.
  6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How many times have the Jets lost to a Head Coach who was fired during or after the season since Bowles took over? I feel like it is a lot, yet Bowles keeps his job after being out-coached by all these Head Coaches who end up getting fired because they are terrible. Crazy.

phubbadaman, Harpua and CotcheryFan like this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Depends if you think Dorsey can keep Haslam in check. Dorsey is a better GM than Mac, but unlike the Johnsons who are just clueless, Haslam actively sabatoges the Browns.

8. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

It's gotta be management problems. Normally you don't fire a coach halfway through a rebuilding year over the record. Most of the Browns problems have been a result of poor upper management decisions.

It was supposed to be a redshirt year for Mayfield but he is forced out there because of injury and their defense actually looks really good for the most part, they have a promising future. I'm not sure why they traded Hyde, though. That seemed detrimental to Mayfield.

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Hue somehow convinced the ownership that he deserved a chance this year, hired Haley on to run the offense and let him concentrate on being the head coach. Hue never should have even made it that far.

Haley and Hue were openly fighting causing lots of drama with the players in the locker room. From everything I've read the chemistry in the room was so toxic the players didn't know which coach to listen to making them uneasy and not as prepared as they could have been week to week.

The rumors swirling around the Hyde trade is that Hue was so stubborn about playing Hyde over Nick Chubb that dorsey moved Hyde so Hue didn't have a choice.

FJF likes this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

if that’s true Dorsey is a lot stupider than I thought. Every player on that team was worth more than Jackson, as evidence by the decision to dump him and his sterling .210 winning percentage.

Sam Hammer likes this.
  11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

At least Dorsey is in a situation where he CAN make a move. Macc otoh, has no power other than to get along with Bowles and hope Chris Johnson isn't a complete idiot when it comes to making the big decision. Mac has no real GM powers like Dorsey has and it shows.

Red Menace likes this.
  12. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The way they said it on the radio was that Hue convinced ownership to keep him, so I took that to mean when Dorsey was hired the choice on coaches was not his. This seem to have shifted and Dorsey now has full control of all organizational moves.

As for the dumping of Hyde, Both Chubb and Duke Johnson were criminally underused by the staff. For an offense lacking explosiveness, they were keep their two most explosive players on the bench.

BacktoQueens and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. statjeff22

Oh, I understand about Dorsey not having the freedom to dump Jackson when he was hired; what I'm referring to is Dorsey trading Hyde because he couldn't get Jackson to stop playing him so much. If Dorsey had the ability to fire Jackson then he should have done so rather than dump a valuable asset; if he didn't he still should have done nothing, since Jackson was digging his own grave anyway.

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I think the power structure switch really just came about in the last couple of weeks. Hue talking shit on Haley to the Media made it all come pass very quickly.

I look at the Hyde deal as a similar one to what we did with Teddy. The signed him as a FA so he cost only cap space, they also have two younger, cheaper, and many would argue better backs already on the roster, so he flipped him for a draft pick. I think it was really all in all a good move for the browns. Then again I'm also a big fan of Nick Chubb and what I think his NFL potential is.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. statjeff22

Edit: wrong thread

#35 statjeff22, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Hyde is more valuable than Jackson, but trading Hyde, and the resulting losses may have been the only way for Jackson to be fired

17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

finally geez, i was beginning to think jackson had some juicy dirt on dorsey.