Browns annonuce they are open to offers for the 1st overall pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, Mar 1, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It's certainly worth trying to move up to 1 and for Mac to get his guy, provided he and his team have identified that guy like the Eagles, Rams, and Bears have recently done(not necessarily the top pick). The Hack pick does make me a bit skeptical that Mac will get the right QB, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

That package puts us about 300 points under which is about the value of our other second this year.

So two firsts, two seconds, and a fourth. If you really believe one of these guys is head and shoulders about the rest you do it. If you see little gap from QB 1 - 4 then you stay put.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Building throughout the the draft does not equal ignore free agency, someone those holes will be plugged long before the draft takes place. We need to be prudent in free agency and not over pay for a band aide fix. The draft is for talent, FA is for fixing roster holes.

4. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

Throw the points scale away when you are talking about moving up in the Top 10 of the draft.

Look what was given up by the Eagles to move up for Wentz, what was given up for the Redskins to move up for RG3, etc.

That's what we'd have to give up, if not more.

FJF likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

“To move from No. 8 to No. 2 overall last April, the Eagles offered up a first-, third- and a fourth-round pick in 2016, a first-round pick in '17 and a second-round pick in '18 in exchange for the rights to Wentz and a '17 fourth-rounder.“

For each year out the trend has been to deduct a round of value from the pick.

The browns got two firsts, a second two years out, and a third and 4th rounder.

The value of the package I put forward is more than the eagles trade already.

6. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

After Cousins signs with the Broncos or Vikings, the Jets need to be active and highly aggressive in trading up to either 1st overall or 3rd overall.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

if you are the Browns you have to take Barkley @ 1 and Mayfield @ 4

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Assuming mayfield makes it that far. It’s. Gamble to pass on your QB of choice at #1 and expect someone to last until 4.

xxedge72x likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Passing on Barkley at # 1 would be a huge mistake. They can find a QB at # 4 if that's what they even want. The Browns can really build something great if they do this right.

10. MurrellMartin

That trade was an outlier.

Take a look at the Rams move up for Goff, which was to Number 1 and the Redskins trade up for RG3.

You can dream up numerous scenarios of what you think Cleveland may take. It'll take a ton to move up from 6 to 1.

11. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

If Barkley is still on the board at 3 overall I'd trade up.

12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Probably only Buffalo has enough to move up to that #1 pick..unless of course you want to be in debt for years. Nah..even they don't have enough.

Hell the Browns can build a new team with the picks the already have..1, 4, 33, 35 and a third late second rounder.

#32 Don, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  13. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You posted look at the Wentz trade as a guide, so I did. When it did not support your argument you called it an Outlier. How convenient. So lets look at that rams trade.

"It is essentially the Rams' karmic payback for fleecing the Redskins back in 2012 for a treasure trove of picks that led to the selection of Robert Griffin III. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017)."

Again, this is 2 firsts, two seconds, and two thirds. This is from a team picking 15, far lower than 6, and is the lowest pick any team trading into #1 over all held at the start of that draft.

What I put forward as an example, "So two firsts, two seconds, and a fourth" is very close to this package. The RG3 trade is the outlier in most cases. So was the Sanchez trade in which the Jets only moved a 1st, a 2nd, and three spare part players to go from the 17 to 5.

14. MurrellMartin

At the end of the day, a trade between the Jets and Browns from 6 to 1 will never, ever, ever, ever happen for just the Jets 2019 1st, a 2nd and 4th. It won't happen. The Browns would get much more. Maccagnan won't give up all of that. It's all a moot point because it will never occur and will never occur for that little compensation.

If you want to move from 6 to 1 it's going to cost you an additional 1, 2, maybe 2 2's, a 3 and another selection. A 1, 2 and 4 will not cut it.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'd give up our 1st, 3 2nds (2 this year, 1 next, and 2 3rds (1 each year).

Unless the QB we pick is a total failure, that price is well worth admission to the franchise QB club.

16. MurrellMartin

There is no QB in this class worth moving up for, unless it's a minimal move up, let's say to 3 or 4.

To jump from 6 to 1 would be insane. Not this year.

17. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If not this year, when?

Opportunity is here today. Who the hell knows when that comes around next.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

You apparently mis read my original post ... I laid out a trade for 2 firsts ( this years and next years) both our second round beers this year and our 4th rounder this year as the approximate cost.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

This part I agree on... there is not one QB this year I trade up for. Darnold being the only one I’d even accept the cost of moving to 3 or 4. It’s a deep class of better than average prospects, not great prospects

20. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Darnold is my guy so im ok with moving up i know one thing he is gonna give 200 % effort to succeed in the nfl