Bridgewater to sign with Jets (1 year deal per Mortensen)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What is it with you and Louisville quarterbacks? ;)

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Adding to this.. The second Bradford was cleared to return to action he immediately jumped Teddy, who was healthy as the #2 QB. That is a damning fact that the Vikes thought he was shot. Under Toilet who knows, Teddy is a dink and dunk guy who isn't capable of taking shots down field. That seems to fit toilet's ultra conservative approach. In the film I've seen of Teddy trying to go down field his wounded duck floaters were way worse looking than Peyton's who I thought threw the worst wounded duck balls I've ever seen.

JetsVilma28 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

All of this Bridgewater analysis is fine and I don't think it's far off... but he hasn't played meaningful football in TWO. YEARS. And not just because he was stuck behind a stud QB, it's because parts of his knee were pointing in 8 different directions. He isn't just going to hop back in the saddle and be fine. And what is "fine" for Teddy? A glorified game manager? That's not how you win titles. And that's also why he's on a one year deal and probably won't even be a Jet next year (if all goes well).

4. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It was definitely a low risk, who-knows-could-pay-off reward. Ideally I want Rosen or Baker drafted; 'worst' case scenario Action Jackson. And I want either of them to ball out in August and win the starting job out the gate. If not, and Teddy looks ready, let him start. McCown starting games is not what we can afford to happen. I almost wonder if he's really being paid as QB coach lite, and because we need to dress a QB he's one of the 3.

5. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Checking Sportrac, there's no guaranteed money. So 5 mill, with incentives up to 15 mill, but can be cut during TC if a rookie starts lighting it up. Don't see the risk here.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think the $5 mil is guaranteed and that's it. That's perfectly fine for a backup-caliber QB that could push the incumbent or eventually start. And if he doesn't play a single snap because he stinks or we draft a rookie that wins the job, he doesn't hit any incentives and all it cost us was $5 mil in a year where we had $90 mil to play with. The contract isn't the problem. It's how he muddies the waters that's the problem.

7. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

We have two vet QBs on one year deals. The FO (and the team) loves... absolutely loves McCown. Its obvious Teddy is only a cheap insurance policy. There is no chance he will see the field this year unless McCown goes down in September and/or every QB hungry team somehow jumps in front of the Jets and all the top QBs are gone before #6.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

lol you aren't the first to ask, but it just so happens that 2 really good QBs played there

Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Cant cite this because I saw it on NFLN yesterday but some reporter said Teddy has spent most of his 2 years off in the weight room and has put on 25 pounds trying to prevent future injury

10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I saw that too, but it was before last season and he still didn't get a sniff from Vikings. Putting on weight won't help a busted knee and likely won't help him throw better downfield. Those are the two things he needs to improve / stabilize before a team takes him seriously as a starter.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

not true. putting on muscle is definitely gonna help a busted knee. If his thigh and calf muscles are stronger and more flexible it will take pressure off the knee joint.

I'm not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn