Brian Winters-re-signed 4 year extension

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mac could have taken the $17M he paid Revis and used it to lock up Wilkerson, thus avoiding the Wilkerson hold out and avoiding the embarrassment known as 'Revis Island'.

2. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I would say that this will be a good signing if it means they are going to aggressively fill in the other positions on the Oline. The Jets simply have to get better on the edges (LT and RT).

3. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to hear about this signing.

He came a bit overpriced but with the increasing salary cap, lack of O-line talent in FA, and the time that it takes to groom a lineman then obtain continuity with his linemates I'd say it's not as high priced as it seems.

Also, don't forget Winters has only gotten better every year and has really flourished in that development since moving to the right side. I don't think that he's peaked at only 25 either.

4. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

What I like about Winters is he's thickly built, easily carrying 320+ lbs..
    He's strong and plays nasty, effective in the run game. That's what you want in a RG imo..

His game has progressed, he's young, and he's cut down on the penalties as his technique gets better.
    If he can keep improving on pass pro, I think he'll hit his ceiling and this re-signing will be well worth it.

Hopefully Mac stayed consistent with the guarantees coming in the first 2 years, giving a way out should Winters regress.
    That to me is the key moreso than the annual dollar amount.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He could be Ryan Clady or Greg Robinson. Greg Robinson was far more talented in Syracuse, and I remember him coming out of the draft having similar issues. Poor technique and inconsistent play. Both have / had amazing potential but never lived up to it. I understand we are needy at offensive line, but this seems desperate. Some actually believe he may translate better as a guard at the next level. I'll pass on Cam, and look at LT next season, find a stop gap for this year.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Greg Robinson played at Auburn and he was not far more talented than Cam Robinson. He had similar weaknesses but he also was only a 2 year starter hidden in that gimmick based Auburn offense.

Cam Robinson was more highly touted and has started at LT from day 1 in the SEC playing all 3 years in a pro style offense. He paved the way for a dominant rushing attack and plays with something Greg Robinson didn't-- a nasty edge.

Greg Robinson could be good anyway if he wasn't an idiot and dedicated himself to his craft, lost weight and stayed focused. I have no idea if Cam Robinson would be fat and lazy like Greg but I don't see why we think he would. That would be something I hope they spend time determining

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Thanks for clarifying the school, was going off the top of the head. They did run different systems, but both do have the same deficiencies in terms of poor technique and both were physical specimens. We've seen A LOT of lineman busts at the top, it's usually these highly touted guys like Robinson or Jason Smith. The combine will be huge for him.

8. BacktoQueens

I wouldn't touch Robinson at the 6.

He's not an NFL LT imo. maybe RT or G if he can keep his head straight.
    but i gotta question the arrest for stolen gun and weed. that's a guy Sheldon would love, but not sure that's a risk we can afford with such a high draft choice.

9. PennyandtheJets

I like Cam Robinson solely based on the credentials that some other people have listed:
    -Physically gifted
    -Plays tough/nasty
    -Started for 3 years
    -Played against top competition and has played in biggest games college football has to offer.

I don't like the claim, "Robinson will only be a RT on the next level." So?! Last time I checked the Jets need help at both Tackle positions. Yes, the LT protects the blindside and it is important, but RT plays just as big a role in a successful Oline.

The one aspect that does make me hesitate and queasy is the arrest. Having said that, a LT prospect just got drafted last year with a gas mask across his face.

I will be hoping for Cam to be the day 1 starter at RT. That would be a great addition to the Jets.

BrowningNagle and Red Menace like this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

I agree, it is a risk, but a lot of these guys end up having some sort of flaw or trait that is concerning.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Trading down a bit and taking a RT isn't such a bad idea this year. The Jets have major holes everywhere except on the defensive line and they have likely holes as soon as next year in places that look solid right now but have late-prime players filling the space.

WR and RB both look solid for 2017 but the people who make them solid are 29+ and have injury histories. That's on top of the obvious problems on the OL, TE, LB's and DB's. It's on top of the vacancy at QB.

The Jets can use all the picks they can get right now and taking a solid RT in the draft would be one cornerstone (literally) nailed down as they approach the rebuilding process.

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. PennyandtheJets

I view this juncture very similarly to the 2006 offseason. Our team had glaring weaknesses in several key positions and the Jets were aggressive in selecting not one, but two "cornerstones" for our franchise in Brick and Mangold. Coincidentally, that was the one and only draft I attended : )

I really would love to see the Jets invest, invest, invest in our Oline. It would make me feel so much better about the future of the team. Build the oline, see what you got in Hackenberg, continue the youth/speed movement on defense and see how it all plays out.

If Hack is terrible, you can make the necessary moves to remedy that situation. Trading up for a QB at that point, would be a wise investment. Ideally though, Hack shows promise and the Jets can continue to build through the draft.

Br4d likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We had Chad in 2006. I see the position the Jets are in now as similar to 2005 but without the franchise QB in house. Even the strong 2006 draft couldn't prevent a meltdown in 2007 and that's where I see 2018 being if we don't nail the draft this year and have a high draft choice in 2018 to get our QB.

The Jets have reached a point of diminishing returns through free agency. Barring 26 year old stars suddenly becoming available all over the place that's likely to continue and the culture will remain a mercenary player-centered culture if the free agents continue to be the chosen path for the team.

14. BrowningNagle

'
    Lots of defenses now are rushing their stud defender on the offense's right side. They are finding out that if you rush in the face of the QB he is more apt to get rattled and turn the ball over.

I agree, if Robinson is a RT in the NFL and not a LT I am fine with that too. We need a RT as well. I really hope they do the smart thing and select this kid

Red Menace likes this.
  15. BacktoQueens

I agree RT is important, but if taking one at the 6, it needs to be a slam dunk.

Not only am I not convinced with Robinson being a slam dunk RT, he presents way too much risk with his personal history to make that big an investment in. (granted I don't have access to interview him, his coaches, etc...which could change opinion).

You HAVE to hit on top 10 picks, taking blue chip prospects.
    I don't like questions on where they'd play, or how they'd behave once here.
    There are better options imo.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Robinson has been dropping quickly on every big board and is now graded at anywhere from late first round to second round.He excelled at run blocking but he is just not very good in pass protection , makes too many mental errors , has terrible footwork. Got away with holding often and has serious character issues. Just not the kind of player you draft at 6.

BacktoQueens and MoWilkBeast like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

a smart team will get Robinson. The Jets and others will worry about his "value." Ozzie Newsome is a smart GM, my guess he goes there to Baltimore at 16. We'll take Fournette, a QB, or some corner. Baltimore will have bookend tackles for a decade while we continue to wonder why these flashy rookies dont pan out. - -at least we'll win the draft day "value" prize from all the TV nerds

Red Menace likes this.
  18. Beki

Beki Active Member

Winters' contract breakdown:
    Terms: four years, $29 million, $15 million guaranteed

2017: $1 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million roster bonus (guaranteed), $8 million salary cap hi
    2018: $7 million base salary (guaranteed), $7 million salary cap hit
    2019: $6 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $6.5 million salary cap hit
    2020: $7 million base salary, $500,000 per-game roster bonus, $7.5 million salary cap hit

So basically, that's a 2y deal.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  19. BacktoQueens

Perfect.
    Good work Mac. re-signed a good young player, without locking in long term.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

What better options are there to choose from with the 6th pick? Whoever the Jets select has to be a day one starter.

Jets don't need another project QB.

RB is not a practical pick since they have Powel and Forte and no line to open up holes for them as of yet.

WR would be a reach, jets have a good core of WR that are developing well.

DLine would cause a mutiny of gargantuan proportions. OLB Myles Garret will not be there at 6.

CB, is there an elite shutdown CB that can come in day one and play?

I'm not trying to bust chops BTQ, I'm trying to look at this from team needs and biggest return on investment, since the jets are trying to build through the draft.

If that's the philosophy, then you select BPA with the 6th spot if that's Cam then so be it, if it's someone else, it's ok. I just don't see other positions in this draft where the 6th pick can bring in a player that will start day one.