Brian Leonard slipping at Senior Bowl

Discussion in 'Draft' started by penny10jet, Jan 24, 2007.

1. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Rutgers' Brian Leonard is a tweener running back/fullback that clearly wanted to prove his potential as a full-time running back by showing up at a slim 224 pounds this week. Unfortunately, the plan is backfiring so far. While Leonard looks a bit quicker than usual, he still does not display the same burst as Penn State RB Tony Hunt, who now is 15 pounds heavier than Leonard. Another concern has been Leonard's struggles as a blocker -- both on isolation run blocks and in pass protection. Leonard needs to pick up the pace in the final few days of the Senior Bowl in order to prevent his draft stock from slipping.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/news/story?id=2740447

What is he thinking trying to go in as a half back? He doesn't have nearly the speed. He should be putting on weight, not taking it off. For all you Brian Leonard lovers on the board, I'm one of them, this is bad news. The rest of the article is pretty good, highlighting the good and the bad of the Senior Bowl thus far.

#1 penny10jet, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

What kind of reason to edit a post is that? I wonder if he could slip to a 2nd day pick

3. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Accidentally pressed enter as in posted it before i was ready. And I think if he does turn RB, which IMO would be a huge mistake, he can officially be taken off the Jets radar

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

absolutely, we do not need a 3-4th round Running back.

5. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I like Leonard, but at this lower weight, I'm not as high on him as a Jet. One of the reasons I was in favor of Leonard was because as a FB who can run with the ball, you could put him and Leon on the field at the same time to create matchup problems. At 224 pounds and with shaky blocking performance here, I don't know if you can really pair Leonard and Washington anymore.

6. Duk Dodgers

Duk Dodgers Active Member

can someone post the whole article. I'm interested in seeing who does well at the senior bowl.

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I've heard some pretty positive things from NFLDraftCountdown and Draft Daddy about him, obviously not as a runner but as a H-back prospect. Also, I heard the Jets had a discussion with him (unfortunately because I don't want to use a high pcik on the position)

8. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

I posted the whole aerticle in the draft section under thunderbirdjet's senior bowl coverage thread.

9. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Maybe the 2nd round talk nonsense can stop. This guy at best can go 3rd round for us.

10. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

at best a 3rd rounder is right...and hopefully not us...im sick of hearing how bad people want this guy, sure he is versatile but we already have a nice pass catching back (washington), and a decent blocking fullback (askew), not to mention shaun ryan doubles as a fullback....get off leonard's nuts everyone, fullbacks just aren't used that often in today's NFL, it is a tight end's league...the fullback as a major offensive weapon died when jerald sowell left town, richie anderson and larry centers retired, and when mike alstott started fumbling more than scoring

11. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Good u Leonard lovers could have your guy in the 4th

12. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Wow, a few bad days completely discredits what we've seen him do in 4 yrs at Rutgers. Talk about the Leonard lovers, it seems theres an abundance of Leonard haters from day 1. Mathias Kiwanuka had a bad senior bowl and he turned out pretty damn good(excluding his bone head play against the Titans) and Cutler play pretty mediocre last year also, that didnt stop everyone form slurping the dude. Leonard is still a talented dude and I still want him, thats my 2 cents.

13. All Star

All Star Active Member

Maybe when his draft stock plummets we can pick him up as a bargain in the 5th round

14. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I dont hate him Leonard but why pick an h-back/fb with your 2nd round pick, i wouldnt mind a rb by commitee type thing but him and Leon Washington wouldnt be good enough.

15. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Leonard could be part of the running back by commitee though, while also being able to play FB and H-Back/TE. Hes incredibly versatile

16. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Leonard's situation is different that Kiwanuka and Cutler. Those guys (K and C) weren't still trying to figure out an NFL position. They were DE / QB in college and they would be in the pros (unless some team forced Kiwanuka due to his size to make it as a 3-4 OLB).

The biggest attribute Leonard had/has going for him is his versatility. Going out and trying to prove you can be an everydown RB at the SB was bad advise from his agent/advisors. He was being graded high based on his play at Rutgers which was a hybrid pass-catching FB/RB, not another step-to-slow RB.

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Not if he is slimming down. Besides at only 6-2, 220lb - 235lb, he really doesn't have the size to be a LOS TE. His pass catching would all come out of the backfield in that H-back role.

18. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Im not talking as a permenant TE, im talking about how Mangini likes to show one play then move everyone around and have a completely different formation look. It could be an I form look that ends as a singleback 2 TE set, with Leonard being the 2nd TE

19. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I understand the role of H-back, but if Leonard has slimmed down to the 215-220 range he really won't excel in that role trying to block on the edge.

I guess scouting/blocking is in the eye of the beholder.

From Mel Kiper/espn.com article on the Senior Bowl practices.

Rutgers fullback Brian Leonard did a good job blocking linebackers, but uncharacteristically had some drops. Leonard runs, catches and blocks. His versatility should make him a second-round selection.

20. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Wow, a lot to cover in this one. I'll just say briefly that Brian Leonard does have the athleticism to play RB in the NFL. Also, his stock is not slipping based on what I've read that I trust a lot more than ESPN as far as these things go, namely Countdown.