BREES : NO Tag ? ! ? ! ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Feb 18, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Updated: Feb. 17, 2006, 8:03 PM ET
    Options narrow as Chargers rule out tagging Brees
    By John Clayton / ESPN.com

The Chargers have all but ruled out the possibility of placing the franchise or transition tag on quarterback Drew Brees, leaving them only two options: signing him to a new contract or letting him hit the free-agent market.For a month, the Chargers had been considering the transition designation for Brees following his shoulder surgery because it gave them the flexibility of keeping his rights but not offering him a guaranteed contract. But an interpretation from the NFL Management Council late this week scared them out of that concept.

Because Brees had the franchise tag in 2005 and his $8.078 million salary was guaranteed, the league interpreted two things. First, the tender offer for Brees' transition tag would have to be at 120 percent of his 2005 salary instead of the 2006 quarterback transition number of $8.327 million. That means Brees would have to be offered $9.7 million by the Chargers. Second, there can be a case made that because his principle terms of the 2005 franchise tag was guaranteed, Brees' 2006 transition tag could also be considered a guaranteed offer.The Chargers could ask for a hearing to determine whether that was the case or not, but instead have ruled out giving him the franchise or transition tag.

In the meantime, negotiations between Brees and the Chargers have continued all week. General manager A.J. Smith said he wanted to keep all three of his quarterbacks -- Brees, Philip Rivers and A.J. Feeley. Earlier this week, the Chargers worked out a two-year, $2 million deal for Feeley. Rivers is entering the third year of a six-year contract.

If Brees isn't signed to a new contract by March 3, he will be a :beer: free agent :beer: .

2. The Predator

The Predator Active Member

given that hes had a good couple of years, i just dont know if i can bring myself to accept another QB coming off a shoulder surgery.....

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

With his shoulder situation, and the likely big contract he would demand, I'd rather have Rivers at this point.

4. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Why would they tag him? It would be stupid to tag him even if his shoulder was ok.

5. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

Yea, why bet on our own injured quarterback when we can bet on some other teams injured quarterback.

6. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

no thanks. if qb is the direction sign a vet like brooks and trade down 2-3 spots and draft cutler to sit behind him for a yr

7. kelly

kelly Banned

if they don't " tag " brees; do you seriouly think they would trade rivers ? ? ?

8. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

No, but if I had a choice, I would rather have Rivers. Since Rivers won't be available, then I wouldn't take Brees.

9. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

we don't need another QB with shoulder issues.

10. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

We don't need another crippled QB.

11. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

I think Bo Jackson is a free agent too :beer:

12. LostInMA

LostInMA Active Member

Ken O'brien is just sitting on his couch, right now....what are we waiting for?!?

13. lightning

lightning Active Member

so wait, you want cutler learning from an idiot whose probably worse than he is? Good God it's genius

14. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

#14 O'Brien7, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  15. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

what are we the shelter for injured qbs why not sign culpepper along with brees we can have the 3 amigos all waiving towels brees-pennington-culpepper this brees talk makes me ill

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

^Maybe a suggestion to change your avatar JETSFAN5180...

I sometimes look at the User Name but mostly look at the Avatar to see who it is...And with that avatar, I keep thinking you're champ...:drunk:

17. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Leinart is never going to be a Jet. Peyton Manning has a better chance of being the Jets QB.

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

The Darksider Ring-Leader. Champ69...Now I can distinguish you as the Chrebet avatar dude, rather than confuse and you champ:grin:

20. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

Which QB do you see the Jets ending up with?