Breaking News... Owners Break talks with NFLPA before deadline

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LockDown24, Mar 2, 2006.

1. The Green Dude

The Green Dude 2008 Best Avatar Award Winner

Now all we need is Bill Gates to buy our team:breakdance:

2. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Thank you :)

Gene Upshaw has said that if the cap is gone after this season it won't be coming back so if a team spends like crazy they will have no cap issues in 2008. However, there is talk that if no new CBA is agreed upon right now the owners will lock the players out in 2008 which may force the cap back into play. Let's hope that everything that's been going on the last couple of days has been nothing more than just using the media to get the other side to budge.

3. 1028

1028 Active Member

Since when did we get under the cap? Did Pennington restructure? Did I miss something?

4. Fleming

Fleming New Member

Wake the F up. We'll still need to cut great players like Mawae and Penny to get enough room under the cap to do anything.

This lack of agreement hurts the Jets as much or more than any other team in the league.

I hear the Ira's saying "get Dunn" "get Shields". Get real. it isn't happening.

Gene Upshaw, to save face with the turds that run the MLB union, lying greedy, myopic jerks that they are, has tried to deal the NFL a death blow.

Don't think Woody all of a sudden is going to spend more than teams in smaller markets either.

Gene Upshaw has ensured that the Jets will be horrendous for quite awhile.

5. Murrell2878

You could reply to someone without the hostility okay??? and second according to this news report we are under the cap

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showthread.php?t=1073

6. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

56.2% is enough, what the hell. It should be a straight 50-50 split, anything above that means the players are getting more than enough to be happy imo.

7. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Wake the f up? lol.

It would be a sad day in Jet history if we had to cut...what was the word you used..oh..."great players" like 35 year old Kevin Mawae...and Chad "I never met an operating table I didnt like" Pennington.

Chadwick was correct....the Jets are in a better cap position NOW then both of those teams.

chill out.

8. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

OH!! I remember you...you were taking your hostility out on another tgg member...and you got annoyed with me when I asked you if you were Peggy Fleming...the ice skater.

You still havent answered my question....anyway...

9. CT. Jets Fan

CT. Jets Fan New Member

Be careful what you root for. With the "Deadskins" way over the cap they no longer are potential trade partners for Abraham.
    Same for the Broncos.

It reduces Jets leverage and thus will yield a less desirable draft pick when Abe is ultimately traded.

10. Murrell2878

you make a very good point. Also, the difference between the 60% and the 56.2% the NFL is offering is $240 million a year. Money that can be invested back into the league to continue the revenue surge that the NFL has had over the last 10+ years. I think the owners have a valid issue here.

11. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

Oh shit.

12. twinjetfan

twinjetfan New Member

I have a bad feeling about next season.

13. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As someone who said months ago that the two sides would surely settle, since to do otherwise would be monumentally stupid, all I can say is wow.

The NFL without a salary cap will look like the NBA and MLB, only more so. The star system will go wild, and salaries for linemen, backup safeties, and so on, will plunge.

14. Murrell2878

Here's the thing that really bothers me about this...the NFL has made it a point to ensure the players salaries get bigger each year. The players aren't getting screwed in the current CBA. If the league continues to invest and get more revenue every year then the players are making out. If there is no new CBA and there is no salary cap wouldn't salaries as a whole go DOWN??? If the top teams overpay wouldn't there be enough smaller market teams not pay??? I don't see anyone really making out on this deal except large market teams - and that's only in championships not necessarily the bottom line.

15. LockDown24

LockDown24 Active Member

Take it easy there buddy. I never said that the Jets are in an ideal situation, I just meant that its a good thing Ellis and Coles restructured so we could make the deadline without shedding anymore blood. I know we don't have all the cap room we need to fill our holes, but other restructures/cuts should be coming. I'd just hate to be in the situation of a team like the Raiders who are gonna have to cut some premier players in the next couple of hours.

16. songster67

songster67 New Member

This whole thing is nuts. I can't believe the bulk of NFL Players are in favor of this.

A difference of opinion on 3.8% of revenues (union wants 60%; owners are at 56.2) could change the whole landscape...

No cap
    Potentially no draft in 2008
    Free agency becomes 6 years instead of 4
    Shorter time for prorating bonuses
    No league minimum salary

17. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

No cap in 07? So keeps can just hire whoever the hell they want for crazy amounts of money and take no penalty? Sounds pretty stupid to me.

18. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

exactly. the teams that are like 20mill under can now easily outbid half of the league.

and 2007/08 jeeez. shudder to think.

sadly, the NFL is losing its parity which is one of the main reasons why it's the best sports league right now. unfortunately, a change is looming, and i can't even stomach it.

cheers

19. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This epitomizes greed

20. USAFJETSFAN

USAFJETSFAN New Member

Yeah but that 3.8% is like 300-400million dollars out of the owners pockets