BREAKING: Macc and Bowles have been extended

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Dec 29, 2017.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Look in the business and reg job world you give employees supervision and a chance to improve if their work is lacking...you try to find positives and encourage people returning to the work force or new employees

In the NFL it's more how competitive and entertaining you are plus winning and Trophies ....Bowles has had three years here and his coaching at games is a sh@tshow ..aren't the Johnstons seeing that??? Plus two seasons of 5-11

In the big plan the poor record might be expected after you cleaned house of Vets but QUALITATIVELY as an in game coach we LOST games because of TB decisonn making..don't the Ownwers see that??

So the Owners see only what they want to see imo...the extention for MM MIGHT pan out but for Bowles?? SMH 8xs

Will-I-Am-Not and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

Yes understand their decision but not agree with it

As I posted before the Ownership got conned here .....plus the way they set things up...with Bowles reporting to their clueless selves instead of MM or a Pres of Football Operations was a recepie for disaster!!!

Bowles has an incredibly good thing going here and he knows it ..he can screw up games with no other criticism other than the Press...12 men on the Field !!!??? Well hello this guy sux....Owners are oblivious ...no more J and J products for me

#402 NYJetsO12, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    PulseJet likes this.
  3. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Great post. Stability is important when you have a young maturing QB and offense and you want continued growth. The Jets, on the other hand, have changed personnel on offense the past three years with no apparent plan for the future.

The bottom line is that they appeared to have a plan this season, but royally screwed it up. Then they rewarded the man who screwed it up. You can’t rebuild at the same time a coach is trying to save his job. You also can’t find a future QB by playing old journeymen instead of the young drafted QBs on the roster.

It was clear to everybody- from the media to the fans- that the Jets were tanking. They cleaned out the roster of all veterans with no long term future or large salaries and traded vets for picks. They positioned themselves to be drafting high in a QB rich draft.

But for some unknown reason, they signed a 38 year old QB. Then , they allowed Bowles to play him. And he kept playing him. And McCown played so far over his head and had such on outlying career year that the Jets won 5 meaningless games.If the Jets win 3 games, they - not the Giants - would have the second pick.

Petty and Hackenberg should have played all 16 games to really see if they had any future with this team - as starters or back ups. That’s what a smart team does in a rebuilding season. Instead, Bowles coaches to save his job and plays McCown with a bunch of kids. That benefited Bowles, who is ironically credited for “coaching”up a bad team. It benefited McCown, who will now pull a Fitz on us and command more money as a free agent. It hurt the future of this team though because now the Jets draft after three teams that need QBs.

A team should maximize its choices in the draft, not limit them. Any rational person and GM would rather have the option to pick 1 of 3-5 QB choices, or sign a free agent and trade down to another QB needy team for more picks.

Now if three teams pick QBs ahead of the Jets and Cousins signs with a contender ( as he should- my money is on Pitt when Roethlisberger retires- plus I don’t think he’s a winner. Has he ever won a big game?), the Jets may be left with no choice at 6.

And next September we will do this all over again. But Bowles and McCown will have their money. That is the sign of poorly run franchise.

#403 Joe Willie White Shoes, Jan 1, 2018
  4. NYJetsO12

Wow excellent post Joe ..plus 10 Million

I have been telling posters here repeatedly that Bowles is up to no good for the Team ..but a lot of good for Mr Toilet Bowles. He is self centered on just keeping his job and that played out exactly this season Even with ownership telling the fool "we are not concerned about wins and losses" but "improvement" he still doesnt play Hack or Petty but mouths off how McGown "gives us the best chance to win" ??!?!! So Bowles and his Agent say this is a win at the Jets pit stop because whatever team you beat will look good to rest of NFL and another 5-11 season with "improved chemistry " in Loc room will appease Owners ..LMAO He doesn't answer to MM the GM but gets to sweet talk the clueless owner ...A grifters dream job and voila he is extended!!!! We beat KC and posters here at happy? I think you and I are just older and wiser how meaningless wins benefit someone other than fans

As far the draft goes there are still lots of variables...I hope and pray we don't end up as you predict but of course anything can happen..someone posted if MM really hustles we can move up to 3 or 4 spot at best which gives us an outside shot at Allen or Mayfield ..What sucks is Darnold may stay in school..Barkley only hope that some will want him before a QB

Cousins will go to a contender and they can have him ..feh..If Denver takes him or anyone ahead of us that will be a lucky break for us

I don't think we can stay at 6 like you said ..we need to trade up ..our only hope is to make that happen

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Gee, I wonder why the best teams maintain stability? Uh, because they're doing well! But when a team is NOT doing well, yeah, you need to keep changing the ingredients until you do. Three years is ample time to tell if someone has the right ingredients. Sure, there are some "slow learners" who take more time but eventually become good, but the best course is to seek out the best to begin with and pay them enough so they want to work for you. When have the Jets done that? Parcells is the only one I can recall, and that worked out pretty well.

The Johnsons need to open up their bank vault and convince someone who has a proven track record of success to come and run the show.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

With back to back 5-11 seasons the Jets have plenty of stability. It is success that eludes us.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

Arians has just retired in Arizona. I'll pay for an airline ticket to Phoenix on Spirit Airlines and will drive Bowles to the airport if the Jets are able to get a sideline heater or ball bag from the Cardinals in return for the right to hire Bowles as their head coach. I'll even have a coffee and a couple of donuts waiting in the SUV for Todd so he has something to nosh on during the ride.

NYJetsO12 and fdcnyc like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

There is one good thing about keeping Bowles: The team will try to WIN now in 2018. If they hired a new Coach he would have had more comfort and no need to worry. Bowles will. The problem is he is terrible, so all that effort will lead to an (8-8) or (9-7) season tops. That will be good enough for the Johnson family and Bowles will return in 2019 to another less than stellar season. Then the Johnsons will say "Hmm, 5 years with no playoffs? Not very good. Can't be too sure he is not about to take the next step though. Let's extend him to 2022!"

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Where were articles like this BEFORE the Johnsons re-upped Bowles?

https://nypost.com/2018/01/01/hackenberg-sitting-to-end-a-joke-and-jets-and-bowles-are-clowns/

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — In his first game since being empowered by that curious ownership vote of confidence in the form of a two-year contract extension Friday, Todd Bowles did not have a good day Sunday.

Forget the result — Patriots 26, Jets 6 at Gillette Stadium — because that’s what Jets ownership has been doing all season: ignoring the results.

Pay attention instead to what the Jets coach didn’t do en route to this second consecutive 5-11 finish under his watch. He allowed a second consecutive lost season to pass without playing Christian Hackenberg for a single down.

With Sunday’s game already out of hand by halftime (21-3) and the Jets offense operating as if its players were running in waist-deep water, Bowles stubbornly and inexplicably refused to play Hackenberg.

So now the second-year second-round draft pick has gone his first two NFL seasons without playing a single down. This is as insulting to Hackenberg as it is to Jets fans....

It was classless for Bowles, himself a former NFL player, to not give Hackenberg a mere series or two.

It also was irresponsible on his part as a head coach with the security of that two-year extension he was granted Friday not to find out whatever he could about Hackenberg by playing him at least a little bit.

The most damning words from Bowles after the game came when he was asked whether he thinks Hackenberg can play in the NFL.

“We don’t know if he can or can’t,’’ Bowles said.

Then why the hell didn’t he put him in the damn game, make valuable use of some of the garbage time at the end of this season to find out?

What's really depressing is the fact that by extending Bowles (and Macc), the Johnsons have proven once again how little they know about running a successful team. What did Bowels do during a 5-11 season that showed him to be much better than he showed prior to this season? Because apparently to the Johnsons they needed more information. It's not like Bowles demonstrated such great improvement. But if they think he's so good, why didn't they extend him before the season so that maybe he would've felt secure enough to try playing Petty/Hack from the beginning or at least early on? Maybe one of them would've shown something; more likely they wouldn't but the record they produce would've gotten a top 3 pick.

This franchise, under this ownership, is the NFL equivalent of the Flying Dutchman.

10. ColoradoContrails

Nice dream, but Bowles has already learned that the Jets are the best place for a mediocre HC since their standards are so low.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

And Jets fans who call for the firing of their entire team every season just get's no where but more of the same. If it was a 15 year run with the same front office and horrible results then yes...but 3 seasons isn't 15 years.

I'll wait and see what they build, I'll give them a fair shot at building the team in their image and then I'll pass judgment.

FJF likes this.
  12. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

wow! excellent points, and clearly stated. i can not disagree with anything that you said.

13. NYJetsO12

Plus a hundred

Well the Hackenbergs hate Bowles/J and J for sure...

Sorry... plenty of people see what a self serving Blank of Blank he is

The players love him like someone posted caus e he is soft

What's scary is if I owned a billion dollar enterprise I would be in tune more to what's going on not putting my finger up in the wind to see which way sentiment is going...these Owners are callous and as crappy as the Coach imo

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

It's hard to fathom an NFL franchise would extend a coach like Todd Bowles. Let's take a look at the record of some of these other coaches fired this past season, and juxtapose it next to Todd Bowles.

Indianapolis Colts
    Chuck Pagano: 6 year run
    Colts Record 53-43 (.552), which was really 44-40 (.524) minus Arians 9-3 record as the interim head coach in 2012.
    Division titles: 2
    Playoffs: 3 seasons
    Record in playoffs: 3-3
    Furthest run in Playoffs: AFC Championship 2014
    Last made the playoffs: 2014.

Detroit Lions
    Jim Caldwell: 4 year run
    Lions Record: 36-28 (.563)
    Division titles: 0
    Playoffs: 2 seasons
    Record in playoffs: 0-2
    Furthest run in Playoffs: Wild Card Round
    Last made playoffs: 2016.

Oakland Raiders
    Jack Del Rio: 3 year run
    Raiders Record: 25-23 (.521)
    Playoffs: 1 season
    Record in playoffs: 0-1 (Lost Derek Carr for season before playoffs)
    Furthest run in Playoffs: Wild Card Round
    Last made playoffs: 2016

Chicago Bears
    John Fox: 3 year run
    Bears Record: 14-34 (.292)
    Playoffs: Never
    Record in playoffs: N/A
    Furthest run in Playoffs: N/A
    Last made playoffs: N/A

New York Giants
    Ben McAdoo:
    Giants Record: 13-15 (.464)
    Playoffs: 1 season
    Record in playoffs: 0-1
    Furthest run in Playoffs: Wild Card Round.
    Last made playoffs: 2016

New York Jets
    Todd Bowles
    Jets Record: 20-28 (.417)
    Playoffs: Never
    Record in playoffs: N/A
    Furthest run in Playoffs: N/A
    Last made playoffs: N/A

Now you tell me. Doesn't it look funny seeing Todd Bowles, who just got a 2 year extension, next to some of these names who were fired? I mean talk about setting the bar low. The Johnson's should be ashamed of themselves. Pretty sad when the Raiders are now making better moves than the Jets. The Jets the slogan is: Just Win 5 Games Baby.

Note: I'm not listing Bruce Arians, because he retired. Nor am I listing Marvin Lewis, because his contract ran out, and the Bengals haven't made an announcement yet.

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

That article exemplifies what I have been saying for a long time now about Bowles. If some one provides him with a good game plan he can follow and execute like a good soldier would. But don't expect for him to create, innovate, or alter things to meet the opposition. He just doesn't have the acumen to do so. So as hard as he works, as diligent and as committed as he is, he is just not HC material.
    His response to the question about Hack was simply asinine at many levels. For one, is a public indictment on Hack, without not one real game opportunity, as well as spotlighting Todds inability to assess, develop or at least give people a chance. Comments like that quite frankly benefitted no one in the Jets organization, but rather highlighted how little do we know about the future of this team, never mind having the right people with a plan that might get us there.

fdcnyc and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Hugh Jackson was even retained. How is that even humanly possible? Both these guys and John Fox are no brainer firings....

17. playtowinthegame

Hue Jackson (.031), Todd Bowles (.419), and John Fox (.292) all deserved to be fired. Only Fox got fired, and Fox has actually has had success during his career as a head coach. Bowles and Jackson have never been good, let alone great. You could argue Jack Del Rio deseved a mulligan. As for Caldwell and Pagano, I suppose it was time for change, but they too you could argue for getting another year. In a year from now I surmise both Bowles and Jackson will be fired. A year too late, to be honest. I just hope we are rewarded for suffering through one more year of ball-less Bowles by getting a supreme coach, à la Jim Harbaugh.

#417 playtowinthegame, Jan 1, 2018
  18. playtowinthegame

The Dog Pound should take knee over keeping Hue Jackson.

#418 playtowinthegame, Jan 1, 2018
    NYJetsO12, 94Abraham and Red Menace like this.
  19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Yup, wonder if ownership of Browns and Jets are trying to appease the league and scared of the Rooney Rule backlash since Caldwell was already fired and they are sticking with these guys longer because of it? It’s food for thought and would hope it’s not the case but it would look bad for the league if they canned both of them.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

I’m so proud to be a long suffering fan of this amazing organization. We have such s great coach and amazing ownership!!!

I can totally see why we would extend a guy who can barely speak a full coherent paragraph- to 2 more years!

Yes!!!

Maybe next year we can get 6 wins? Wow!!!

And then we might get up to 7 wins in 2019!!

Exciting because the kids who are on their rookie deals are “trying” so very hard. Wow!!!!

Can you believe kids who are dying to get paid are actually playing hard? Wow!!

That’s our amazing coach!!!! We have that crucial “arrow” pointing up!!! We have that elusive “play hard” thing down pat!!! So exciting!!

We are lucky!

#420 Longsuffering88, Jan 1, 2018