BREAKING: Giants to start Geno Smith this Sunday

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by grkmanga31, Nov 28, 2017.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This will all come full circle when Eli suffers a career ending injury playing QB for the Jets in the 4th quarter of the 2018 Snoopy Bowl.

slimjasi and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

While you are right about Eli probably getting in.

The comparison is off in my opinion because it could be argued that during his career at some points you could argue Namath was the BEST QB in football and most certainly in the top 5.
    Namath was the first to throw for 4000 yards - a DECADE before any other QB and it wasn't until the schedule was expanded to 16 games that Dan Fouts did it.

Also Namath won SBIII not only or primarily with his arm but with his brain as he was calling the plays and ran Snell down the Colts throats.

BacktoQueens, Br4d and NY Jets68 like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

A++ thread. Well done.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

But, but, but.....if we were to trade for Eli, shouldn't McCown still start because he gives us the better chance to Win?

5. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Las Vegas has placed 9/1 odds on Eli Manning playing for the Jets next season.

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Ignoring for a second that Geno Smith has shit for brains and absolutely zero decision making ability, the Giants players are about to throw a game in a way never before seen in professional sports. You think they quit on Doo Doo for the 49ers game? Man even if by some miracle Geno Smith doesn't throw the ball to every Raiders player, anything that comes within a foot of a Giants receiver is going to slide through their hands all day long. The defense will probably set a record for least number of tackles in NFL history

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

All this bitching and moaning in the NFL circles and media is getting ridiculous.

The Giants have been terrible all year. Terrible teams bench their veterans and play young guys. That's how the business works. Why is Eli so special that he can't be treated like every other player in this league? Eli has been sucking all year anyway.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Putting myself in the situation of the Giants, given that football is my livelihood, I would play hard no matter what the circumstances. They have to realize no matter their opinion of the coach, now they are playing for jobs next year. Nevertheless, there is a difference between tanking and not having enough talent on your roster to win. Jet fans should understand this better than anyone. The Giants were doing a pretty good job of losing with Manning, so I don't understand what they gain by starting Geno. I could understand starting Webb to see what he has, but starting Geno over Manning is like substituting Larry the Cable Guy for Laurence Olivier.

LAJet likes this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm not a Geno fan, but the sarcastic point I was trying to make is that there is no secret plot by the ownership to purposely tank for a QB by putting Geno in. They are tanking because they are rapidly becoming the most dysfunctional NFL team in NY from the HC on down which is hard to believe. If indeed the players throw the towel as you describe, then it will prove my point even more......and no self respected QB prospect would wanna go to a team more inept and scatter brain than even the Browns.
    I have no sympathy for them, nor do I think putting Geno at this juncture is a smart move, since he will not even be there next year.

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Well they did it against the 49ers I don't see why they wouldn't do it again to put that final nail in Doo doo's coffin and to rally around Eli. It is their livelyhood but there's nothing on the line and it's not worth risking injury for that coach. They don't even have to purposefully not make plays, all it takes is not hustling or putting max effort and the opponent walks all over you

11. westiedog1

There are a lot of ways to look at it. I didn't see the game so I can't say for sure that they purposely lost. Because of the travel, winning on the Coast is never easy, especially with a depleted roster. They came back the following week to beat KC, who despite their problems, is a better team than SF. I agree that maybe veterans might not want to risk injury, that's a good point, however, there aren't many veterans still playing on that team.

12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think many are missing the true genius of this move. Benching Eli is absolutely the right move at this point, since the team is going nowhere. They knew it would cause an uproar (although clearly they didn’t realize how big an uproar). If they put in Davis Webb he could be the target of all of that vitriol, and be ruined for life. Instead they put in the despised Geno. He takes all the grief and ridicule, and no one cares because no one thinks he’ll be on the team next year. If by some miracle he plays well they have a backup or bridge starter for next year. If he’s as bad as everyone expects, when Webb replaces him in a couple or three games there’s no pressure, since he’s not “the guy who replaced the sainted Eli”, and the fans will finally be over their idiotic overreaction to the news. And, if they do decide to try to trade Eli to Jacksonville or Denver there’s no risk of him getting hurt in five meaningless games.

The Giants handled this badly, but the move itself is pure genius.

playtowinthegame and westiedog1 like this.
  13. westiedog1

You make a good argument.

14. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I agree with his argument as well, but at the same time there's the possibility of this backfiring on the Giants. Allow me to play devil's advocate here. Let's say Eli does in fact go to another team and wins a Super Bowl, meanwhile the Giants draft a bust at quarterback and go through a long long drought trying to find another franchise quarterback. Let me take it a step further and say Eli stays in New York and wins a couple Super Bowls with the Jets. New York media starts making it out to be the Manning Curse for the Giants. Of course that's about as likely to happen as the Jets winning out their remaining 5 games to make the playoffs at 9-7. Lol

15. westiedog1

I'm not sure Giants fans would be that upset if the Giants, in good faith, drafted a QB this year and he turned out to be a bust. At least they did what was best for the franchise. They have an aging QB, with a talented QB class coming out and are in position to grab one. If it was the Jets, I would be unhappy with the result, but I couldn't fault the strategy.

16. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think nothing would irk Giants fans more than a win this week, with Geno playing more competent than Eli.

That would pour cold water on all this Eli legend bullshit, hurt their draft position, AND strengthen the chances of Macadoo/Reese/Geno returning next season.

For those reasons, I'm rooting Giants this week!

17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The imbeciles better hope this game goes better for them than the last game Geno played there for the Jets.

The Giants are a lost organization right now. The fact that the Giants are considering firing McAdoo after this game makes ya wonder WHY they're giving him the power to end Eli's iron man streak in the first place it makes no f'n sense. A iron man streak in football means something it's one of the ultimate individual accomplishments in pro sports. That's the kind of streak that should only be broken by serious injury or retirement.

The fact that the Giants are ending it for him is a act of betrayal in my eyes.

And if McAdoo goes through with starting Geno today (a trash NFL QB) his name will forever live in infamy in New York sports.

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

27/42 265 2tds 1 int 35 yds rushing?
    I think most would be quite happy with that.

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What was the final score?

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We blaming geno for 34 points?
    Cool story bro