Bowles Says It Wasn't Hackenbergs Time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by boozer32, Jan 1, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I would never call you stupid, ill informed maybe, LOL. The decision to start has to be on the HC. The OC can have input, but ultimately it has to be the HC's call. Think about it, if you were the HC, would you want the OC making the decision on who to start when your job depends on how that QB performs?

2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

McSorley also had an epic shoot out with Darnold last year in the Rose bowl. The guy can ball.

3. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

What? I do all the time [​IMG]

#23 Walt White, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Lol, that was ridiculous.

5. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

All I can say is the more you know the more you don't know.

You are correct that the QB position will probably have the HC final decision.

Am I wrong or do my eyes deceive me? Wasn't the Jets basically running the West Coast Offense or some version of it with McCown as QB? Isn't this the offense that Morton was tutored under people like Sean Payton? I am not claiming this is the best offense to run but under Morton this is what the QBs must know. This offense is a departure from Gailey's offense and one could admit it isn't fair to young QBs like Petty and Hack to be given a new script. But as they say "it is what it is". Here is a situation where Fitz and McCown both benefited by being familiar with the offensive scheme employed by the present OC. What is disturbing to me is that Petty nor Hack can grasp either offensive system.

The West Coast offense is a proven offense, so lets say for the sake of argument this is what the Jets will be running from now on. Otherwise why did they hire Morton and Bates? If Petty and Hack are not capable of grasping this offense, then the Jets would be smart to draft a QB and have that QB study under McCown as the 3rd string QB. Get another QB that understands the West Coast offense and make him the 2nd string in case of injury to McCown. Morton is not a QB guru or teacher, so this why you have Bates who is another West Coast Offense disciple.

The West Coast offense is not a scheme that will probably be popular with many traditional Jets fans. Under this scheme the QB does not need a cannon of an arm but must be able to make quick decisions. You want a QB with a little agility also due to often rolling out. Your running backs need to be more well rounded and be able to catch the ball as receivers. Your receivers need not be speedsters but be able to run precise routes. Your offensive lineman need not be pounders but more quick of feet. Again these are my stupid observations not being able to see every Jet game since where I live I could be dead wrong. The attributes of players in a West coast offense are not cast in stone. For example you might want to deviate once in a while and pound the rock or throw the deep one.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg lit it up in camp or in practice he would have gotten playing time. When the playoffs were out of reach we had about six games that we could have used to evaluate QBs. If McNown was benched before he got hurt we might had had time for both of them to play. With only three games we needed to give one of them (in this case Petty) enough time to evaluate them.

While Petty looked shaky I don't think McNown was going to win any of those last three games either.

7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I think you might have won the Chargers game with McCown. Maybe it is good you didn't because of the draft.

Remember Hack also had problems at Penn State after Obrien left, so one could argue he was suffering before the draft. I think the Jets should keep McCown, and get two new QBs. If Hack and Petty don't get it now they probably never will.

8. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

The LA Chargers game, IMO with the D playing so well, would have been a win with a healthy McCown playing. Petty was dreadful.

However, now with our thoughts on the draft, I'm glad we lost :)