Bowles Just Doesn't Get It

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Mar 28, 2017.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

How can he teach them anything when they are not there or late ,,,,,but then again he does not care if they are late

2. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Typical NY media getting hysterical over nothing. All Bowles was saying is that people make mistakes and it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Ptflea2, Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Come on, 101. You know better than this. Yes, he eventually punished them but only after Mo missed a walk through prior to a game and had been chronically late.

He should have been suspended for a game or two for missing a walk through.

They're professionals and being paid a TON of money. They can buy two alarm clocks or afford a service to give him wake up calls or hire a freaking butler to wake him up. I can understand accepting someone being late once. At the time of their first tardiness, they should be told that is unacceptable and it had better not happen again. If it happens again, they should be fined and made to run gassers or be punished in some way. If it happens a 3rd time, they should be suspended for a game without pay. If it happened after that, the punishment should be as draconian as the PBA allows and the player should be cut or traded ASAP.

#23 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    NYJetsO12, tomdeb, CBG and 1 other person like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

The Jets won 10 games (not Todd Bowles) due to a career season from Fitz and an easy schedule.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. It's a contradictory attitude and one that doesn't promote discipline and undermines his own authority. It's TOTALLY the wrong attitude to take with a young football team that one is trying to build into a winner. It's a lackadaisical, loser attitude.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Bowles were even a decent coach they would've won 11 or 12 games for sure and made the playoffs. It's his failure to do that, coupled with him making the same mistakes this past year, that shows he's not HC material.

7. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

You do remember they had a cupcake schedule in Bowles first year and he couldn't beat any team with a good defense, couldn't game plan against a good defense and never made adjustments at half time and still hasn't. Stop giving him credit for a 10 win season against dregs. The guy has NEVER shown any ability as a HC let alone any ability to coach up this defense. He is as bad or worse than Rex with the offense and can't motivate the defense. At least Rex had the D motivated, his stupid play calling and jail house blitzes did him in but Bowles is no Rex coaching up the D. In his first year FINALLY for one year Fitz played better than the contract he signed then last year reverted to the mean. That one year made toilet bowles appear better than he is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You're exactly right... Permanently..

jilozzo likes this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not yet anyways... Seems TB needs to find that middle ground between being a Player's coach and being a Disciplinarian. Right now, he's too much the player's advocate. Yeah, he may get animated behind closed doors but the effects are too short lived to have any real lasting effect. We keep hiring first timers and we will keep going thru the growing pains as they learn how to be a hopefully successful HC. I don't have to tell you who loses in that scenario..

grkmanga31 likes this.
  10. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

When gets fired next year he can run all sorts of scenarios in his head on what he could have done different.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

And yet even when Bowles won 10 games his first year, the season was a failure and actually displayed quite a few instances of his inability to recognize certain in game situations.

He failed to adjust his use of Revis and Watkins literally took his lunch money for it.....For all the good things Bowles did his rookie season he will be judged on last year, all the failures of last year, and if a player is late again this season and the press gets a hold of that story, he will again get buried for it.

Its not a good optic IMO and Bowles needs to show improvement in a lot of ways for him to retain his job

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mo and Sheldon were both benched in November during a game and we never heard from the tardiness ever again. We will see who shows up late this season, but I bet it won't be Mo.

FJF likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Damn it, we had a bad season and no one will feed me my pound of flesh! bowles ahould have ripped mo and sheldon again for being late so i can feel better.i don't care about how he is with the players, its what he says to the beat writers to make me feel better that's important

14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

gonna be a rough off-season for a lot of these Jet fans, the more Bowles speaks the more they go insane

FJF likes this.
  15. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Not happy with what Bowles said yesterday, of course. I keep thinking how we were supposedly getting a Parcells guy, but Parcells wouldnt have allowed any of that and would have said if anybody is late again they should just not bother showing up. They will be cut.

That being said, complaining about this is wasted time. Bowles is coach, and hopefully he will improve. Maybe some of the great position coaches he has brought in will lift him up. I have my doubts, but nothing more to be done than watch and wait.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The qb situation is funnier
    Sign mccown and its "he is going to name mccown the starter"
    Bowles says its a competition and its "its all a show, mccown will be named the starter "
    This board is hilarious after a tough season

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No one is saying to rip any player for being late, but instead of saying lateness happens and it's not a life or death situation (which we can all acknowledge it isn't) it's also something great coaches do not take lightly.

His answer to me means that he does not want players to be late, but if they are, he will sort it out, but won't consider it a serious offense. In my opinion, some coaches would bench a player a game, or go even further and cut someone for that. Given how poorly the season went last year, how many times we got blown out, and how many times we as fans got reports of locker room problems, having a lax response about being late perpetuates the narrative that Bowles does not have a strong hold on how to maintain a locker room nor how to be a head coach.

Does that mean that things will be bad in 2017 in terms of locker room problems or tardiness...no....but if there is an instance of tardiness, the press will jump all over it and Bowles will be given hell for it because it is the nature of the business and the new york city market.

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

it is just talking to the media FJF but when you have a problem with players being undisciplined you don't say something like that to anyone ever.

There are 100s of responses he could've used in between the one he did use and ripping mo and sheldon like you suggest that would've been far more appropriate

same old jets likes this.
  19. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

The fact is, Rex Ryan is a better HC than Toilet will ever be. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. Woody thought he was upgrading to please the fan base. The fan base thought they were getting the ANTI-REX. The master disciplinarian that holds players accountable.

Toilet is a far worse HC with the same lackadaisical approach to discipline.....

phubbadaman likes this.
  20. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

One of the things that bothered me but I dont think it was mentioned was how he threw bouquets at Revis' feet.

Revis more than anyone layed down like a dog last year. Came into camp out of shape. Got bullied by young WR's. Didnt tackle for shit. Film shows multiple examples of him avoiding tackles and giving up on plays. The highest paid player on the team and a future Hall of Famer.

If he wasnt giving effort, what did that say to the younger players? How did that performance disrespect the team and the coaches?

I'm sure with the Pats he'll have some kind of miraculous career resurgence.

But rather than telling it like it is, that Revis' poor effort led to a cancerous locker room and the team looking like shit, Bowles compliments the guy. Then says he would be happy for Revis if he gets a second chance at a Super Bowl with the Pats rather than actually play well for the Jets. Hey, Revis is the best! Gets paid, plays himself off the Jets and gets a shot at another ring with the Pats. He played us like a champ!

But when asked whether Mangold could still play the game, Bowles said "I dont know".

What a dick. At least Mangold gave effort and played pretty well before getting injured. Hopefully he gets a chance at the playoffs with the G-men.

#40 PulseJet, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017