Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Poeman, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Thirty years after the events of the first film, a new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos. K’s discovery leads him on a quest to find Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford), a former LAPD blade runner who has been missing for 30 years.

With one of my favorite directors at the helm...Dennis Villeavue

The Dark Knight and nycarl like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The original is a brutally unwatchable POS.

Bellows1 and Dierking like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Is there a movie you DO like? :D

JetBlue and Red Menace like this.
  4. JetBlue

A few.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Someone had to say it.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If you don't like Cyberpunk/Tech Noire you won't like Bladerunner. I love both so it's one of my favorite films. The 1981 Thing is similar for a lot of people on the love/hate scale. Many people just don't like films that have an ending that's not laid out for them in clear colors.

nycarl likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I love the Thing, and never understood the infatuation with Blade Runner even though I'm a Ridley Scott and Philip K. Dick fan.

It's just so boring.

8. JetBlue

That certainly isn't Blade Runner's issue. Keeping you awake to get to the ending is its greatest shortcoming.

9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Blade Runner has everything going for it. Great director, great source material, decent cast, a fantastic look and feel to it. It just isn't very compelling at all. If technical competence and look was all that made a film great it would be an all time classic. There's a great film in there somewhere, but as it is, it's one of the most overrated things I've ever seen... and I quite like the ending.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The worst part about the film is the voice-overs by Harrison Ford. They weren't in the original cut and the studio made them put them in before the film released. Too many people (most of them) hadn't read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and a lot of stuff was going over the test audiences head.

It's similar to the process that happened in the original Dune movie, the one with Sting. Studio execs got nervous about the length and the story got cut to hell and then they had to make dialogue changes to make stuff that was better kept in the background crystal clear to people who were not fans of Frank Herberts writing.

nycarl likes this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Roger Deakins is the cinematagropher...so it will be beautiful

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It was amazing. Go see it! Definitely a genre film and non-sci fi fans could get bored, but I thought it was really well done. Great sequel to the original.

NYJetsO12 and Poeman like this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Loved the film. Its a well built story and I was never bored with it. The Harrison Ford parts were less interesting to me then when K was investigating and making the rounds in 2049. Brilliant directing.

Wonder if they would do another film if it can pick up some at the box office. I like Gosling as a actor.

The Dark Knight and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I liked Blade Runner, but was not a huge fan. I can appreciate it for it's time. 2049 I liked a lot more. I actually want to see it again this week. Hopefully in IMAX. It's one of those movies that sucks you right into the world from the opening credits. Which were amazing. Agreed Gosling was fantastic, as usual. He stars in 3 of my other favorite movies too: La La Land, The Nice Guys and the most underrated film ever: Drive.