Big Mac says QB position is an open competiton and darnold can win

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, May 2, 2018.

1. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Instead of drafting OL with top picks and letting them develop over the last 1, 2, or 3 seasons, we have completely neglected the position. At the start of 2019 we could have had a developed, young, and gelled OL. Instead, we pushed it off till the last minute and Darnold will be dropping back while some rookie OLs take their bumps and bruises as the OL learns to gel together. Utter stupidity.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm not only concerned about the talent on the line, but the fact we're changing blocking schemes too. So not only is the talent very questionable, but not even predictable now. Maybe we'll get lucky and this will actually be a positive. I wouldn't give Darnold an opening day just start just because I want a sample of how our OL will do in the zone blocking scheme first.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not a hard bar to pass. Just don't rank 32 out of 32 in every category.

4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I will go out on a limb -If Mccown has a decent camp and does not get hurt, even if Darnold looks good = Mccown is the starter opening day . Same goes for Darnold vs Bridgwater , Bowels being Bowels says this is what happens,,Barring injuries I don't think we see Darnold until at least December time will tell won't it.

5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Darnold doesn't have much ahead of him on the depth chart.

A colossal second round bust (Hackenberg), a qb coming off a serious injury who hasn't played in nearly two years I believe (Bridgewater) and a 39 years old career loser (McCown). If lastyear's OC were still here I mighta bought the argument that McCown knows the system better etc. but that 's not the case here McCiwn is new in this system too.

If Darnold is the player the Jets/we hope he is he'll win this job he should win this starting job. If he can't if he's getting outpl ayed by McCown just like Petty & Hackenberg last year that would be very alarming.

6. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

Love the idea of "internet forum guy" calling an NFL quarter back who'se made millions over his career doing what very few people get to ever do a career loser.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

stinkyB, Walt White, FJF and 2 others like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Especially after having a decent season for us, ranking top 15 I believe, don't shoot me if that is not correct I can't be arsed checking lol

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, and add to that, whoever is going to be calling signals at center will be in his first season with the team.

You don't throw a top rookie QB into that veritable tornado of suck unless you want him to turn into David Carr.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Very alarming that he would be getting outplayed by veterans..... okayyyyyyy pal lmao. Darnold is 20 years old. People like you who are expecting him to come in and be Dan marino or joe Montana is what is wrong with this fan base.

CotcheryFan, Cman68 and FJF like this.
  10. WarriorRB28

Show me where I said th at.

The point is he doesn't have to be great as a rookie to win this starting job. By NFL standards he doesn't have much (in terms of competition) ahead of him on the depth chart IF he is who we hope he is.

He doesn't have to come in and be the rookie of the year or 'great' right away he just has to come in abd be the best QB on this roster that's not asking him to complete mission impossible.

I don't care how old he is he's in the NFL now the Jets will be paying him a lot of money to play football.

I want experience to be his best teacher, I want to find out about this guy asap BUT I want him to EARN it by winning this job.

If he can't beat out McLoser or a cripled Bridgewater or colossal bust Bustenberg he's no different in 2018 than Petty & Hackenberg were in 2017 when the Jets gave them every opportunity to win this starting job and yes that would be to me alarming.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

Um yeah I was referring to winning NFL games, playing the position at a consistantly high level.

The Jets don't have a 39 years old John Elway or Brett Favre or Tom Brady on this roster.

Sam Darnold can SHOULD come in here win this starting job IF he is who we hope he's going to be.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

IF Darnold had spent the last 4 years leading USC to championships I would agree but that isn't the case here. You are ignoring the almost 20 years of NFL experience McCown brings to the table. Darnold has the POTENTIAL to be in the league that long but not many do no matter the position. I think Darnold has the ability, but doesn't have the knowledge or experience yet to challenge McCown for the starting job. They wouldn't be doing Darnold any favors by skewing any Qb competition his way. Let the kid developing on his own timeline.

Stop feeding the beast that is a starving, restless, skeptical fanbase. Take that ramp up time and solidify the offense around him and that includes settling on perhaps 5 Wr's out of the 15 presently on the roster and get an Oline not constituted by rentals. For God's sake stop changing systems on offense every other year. Get an OC committed to the long haul and keep him in place.

Lay off Darnold. Let the kid grow into the job..

13. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I would guess that theyll know the state of the OL by how is looks playing against our DL in practices. Dont think they'd be going to game one without a clue of the what we have on the OL

14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Jilozzo - love most of your stuff, but you are wrong here. The Jets aren't the only team that recently drafted a QB in the first round and then no OL in the same draft.

The 2016 LA Rams drafted Goff and then no other lineman. The same can be said of the 2017 KC Chiefs with Mahomes.

Now you could claim that the other teams had better OL to start so they didn't have to invest in the OL, but the Jets are not alone in this regard.

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed something, but I have not seen one poster put Darnold in the Hall of Fame already. So people are generally excited with the Jets first round QB selection - especially since Darnold was considered by many (if not most) as the #1 pick in the draft.

In my mind (as someone who originally thought the Jets overpaid to move up from #6 to #3) getting Darnold - who very easily could have been the first pick in the draft - takes some of the sting out of losing three 2nd rounders. What's the problem with a little optimism?

FJF likes this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Mac said no one they liked fell to them in the draft on OL. He said he addresses needs in the free agency. This was also a weak free agency class and the few linemen that were available were overpaid. I think the only player you overpay for is a stud left tackle because its hard to find one in free agency. Don't get me wrong, I have wanted the team to spend a high draft pick on offensive line for years, but it just didnt seem to be in the cards this year. Hopefully we address this next year as well as pass rush.

Walt White and FJF like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

Where did I say that? I don't want that that's what they did with Buttfumble & Geno two disasters.

I'm saying if Darnold goes out there and proves he's the best QB on this roster EARNS the job don't hold him back. If he doesn't he sits no coddling.

Let's face it this isn't Baker Mayfield going to Cleveland he has a 2017 playoffs starting qb to compete against for that job.

McCown, Bridgewater, Hackenberg probably the worst group of QBs in the NFL and Sam Darnold with his pedigree HE SHOULD WIN THIS STARTING JOB.

That's all I'm saying.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

An Uber ride to Hackensack, hahaha.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

This will be the first pre-season in years that I'm actually looking forward to watching. I'll tell ya why. They're usually horrible, but at least I'm not getting rolled anymore! Wheeeee!

http://forums.theganggreen.com/thre...th-pre-season-rape-games-at-full-price.88735/

Yep, it was with a heavy heart that after 55 years of the tickets being in my family, the FO forced my hand. I bailed. I've gotten used to the idea now. Kinda. Right now the plan is to cherry pick a couple of games off the regular season schedule this year. I may wind up going to all of them, who knows? What I do know is that it will be for a handful of rupees in a better section. Once/if they start playing Darnold, the only problem will be the parking pass. It's gonna be a bitch, and the price will probably surpass the price of the tickets - even though I'll be in Club Seats on the 50, Row 10.

#119 jetophile, May 9, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

pure poetry maaaaaan.....

abyzmul likes this.