Beningo destroyed Manish on air today

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Jan 15, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Joe would listen to you. He screamed over Manish because he had no intention of debating Manish. He wanted to chew Manish out on air unless Manish apologized for being a lying snake about Marrone. And don't let Manish's nice guy act fool you. He'd listen to you and then slander you in an article if it suited his purposes.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan, I don’t get all the sensitivity over what beat reporters (Manish Mehta or Richard Cimini) write about our beloved Jets. Are people really that thin skinned? The fact of the matter is our Jets haven’t been really good these past 7 seasons. There’s not a lot of positives to write about when a team goes 46-66 over the course of 7 seasons and doesn‘t make the playoffs once. They continue to have shaky drafts and make questionable decisions in free agency. Manish did his job covering a potential head coaching candidate the Jets may have hired. Now that Coughlin has the Jags ascending, we have to hear about Doug Marrone being the one that got away, and it‘s all Manish Mehta‘s fault. Let’s have this conversation again next year, and the year after that until that Manish Mehta apologizes for doing his job as a reporter. I would rather just put the spotlight on Woody Johnson, Mike Maccagnan, and Todd Bowles if the Jets don’t turn things around this off-season.

3. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think a big reason why Manish is dislikes is twofold - his use of unnamed sources and using those "sources" to write negative articles.

I think in general, journalism is more like fictional story telling rather than actual reporting nowadays, but more often that not, reporters will hide their sources so as to not create more division in the locker room or organization. They have to provide their sources with some sort of protection because when shit hits the fan, they don't want the source to get the shit end of the stick.

Joe was 100% right in shitting on him as there are a few beat writers who do not go out of their way to write negative articles about the Jets. Manish goes through cycles where he writes optimistic articles about the jets, and then goes on tirades with sources about certain players and people.

I rather read a Connor Hughes or Darryl Slater written article.

HomeoftheJets, CBG and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL No steak knives here, but FWIW, I agree with you. I don't like Manish at all. I had never listened to Benigno before. He across as a raving lunatic and jerk. He also kept discrediting his own opinions by stating several times that "I'm a Jets fan, how smart could I be?" Based on our history, he has a point, but he still didn't have to keep throwing it out there, making us look even more pathetic and dumb.

That said, I agree that Bowles is a clueless tool as is Woody Johnson (and probably Chris too), and that Bowles should not have been retained. Even though Manish kept his cool and acted civil, I could definitely see his arrogance and "know-it-all" attitude. He couldn't see Benigno's points, any more than Benigno could see his.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Also, I believe, and I'm sure many Jets players would attest to this if they were asked off the record, that Manish has passed the point of being a reporter for the team. Often times, he has extremely contentious interactions with certain players, ie: Wilkerson, even if Wilkerson was disgusting for the Jets.

There's a difference between a reporter who is trying to fairly write/report on a team versus a reporter who has it out for certain players and is that contentious.

That is not to say that I want all reporters to write puff pieces that make the jets seem like a dynasty that wins superbowls yearly, but I do not want to read articles where "unnamed sources" further an agenda to tear down players.

We as fans may say and do dumb shit, but we don't need a reporter to formulate an opinion for us. I think Manish has done some of that unfortunately.

That's why a lot of people, including Joe B, do not take his reporting seriously.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So exactly what do people think Doug Marrone and Mike Mccagnan would have accomplished that is different from what went down?

Anybody who thinks the Jets weren't bringing Revis back is mistaken. That was going to happen no matter who the coach was. Anybody who thinks they weren't going to sign Brandon Marshall is off-base also. The instructions from ownership were to spend some money and raise the star glitter on the Jets and from that (and three mediocre drafts) flow the Jets of today.

The only thing that would be different is that Todd Bowles would have gone somewhere else and looked better than he has with the Jets and people would be bringing up his name right now as somebody the Jets passed over.

This is not a good team or a good roster. Those are the only things that matter in terms of how the coach is perceived. There are no coaches in the NFL who win with the kind of talent the Jets have had the last 3 years. Brandon Marshall is like a force of nature, awesome in his own right but destroying everything around him. Darrelle Revis was an entitled vet ready for a rocking chair. Fitzpatrick and McCown have just been the right guy in the right place, getting real shots to play because the Jets cannot find a QB at this point.

7. NCJetsfan

I basically agree with you, just wanted to point out that your 3rd point is off base as far as what Mehta's (and other sports reporters') jobs are. Their job is to create controversy as that will sell newspapers and get people clicking to the paper's website, which makes their advertisers happy. I lived in NYC from April 1986 to February 2002. At some point in the late '80s or early '90s I emailed one of the reporters (Cimini, I'm pretty sure ) from the Daily News and reamed him out for doing the very things that Manish is accused of. Much to my surprise, he actually responded, and in a civil manner. He said that journalism schools were no longer teaching students to just report the facts. They were being taught to editorialize, to include their opinions, and to be controversial, as that sold papers and pleased the advertisers. They didn't care about the truth, only selling papers and keeping their advertisers happy. He went on to say, that's what his bosses at the Daily Schnooze told him as well. If it was Cimini I wrote, his continually being negative towards the Jets sure didn't hurt his career. Thus, I don't think it's personal. They're just trying to make a living.

Sure, we all can understand where Joe is coming from. We're all frustrated and impatient, but he really came across as a raving lunatic, foaming at the mouth. I think his points would have been better served, if he had stayed calmer, more rational, and had more facts and details to support his position. Then again, the whole thing may have been staged for ratings and publicity. If so, we were all just sucked in.

#47 NCJetsfan, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I didn't know much about Marrone at the time, and still don't, but I think he's a better HC than Bowles. I'm not saying he's great and "the one that got away," but at this point, I wish almost anyone was HC rather than Bowles. Would Marrone have been the answer for the Jets? Who knows? Maybe with Mac, he'd have been only marginally better than Bowles. If he's had a lot of input on draft picks with Jacksonville (which I doubt), then maybe we'd be better off.

There's no question that Caldwell has done a great job with the draft, but he did hire Gus Bradley as HC. On one hand, it would have been great to have Caldwell as our GM. I would have loved to have seen what he would have done with the 2014 draft, but then again, he drafted Bortles in 2014. Would it have been worth it to have added Bortles as our QB in order to get those other players that he added in Jacksonville (if indeed he would have with our systems being different), and hiring Bradley as our HC?

9. NCJetsfan

Good points, just have one correction. Mac didn't sign Marshall. He traded for him.

Br4d likes this.
  10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Great point, how many articles did he write about Wilkerson not being a leader bc he did not want to talk to reporters after a loss? He would intentionally go after Wilkerson due to a personal vendetta

grkmanga31 likes this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Meh, I don't like Beningo or Manish, to be honest. Both are over reactive clowns that just preach and preach. Listening to those 2 morons go back and forth is like hearing Trump debate Ken Ham on nuclear physics. It's just verbal diarrhea. I'm sorry, but there's more to a team than just the coach and judging Marrone in hindsight of getting to the AFC championship is dumb. He couldn't even get the Bills into the playoffs once. Jacksonville is STACKED on defense and has one of the best running backs in the game. Talent kind of matters, just saying.

#51 Sam Hammer, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Of course the resident troll says this.

13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

That's not the point.

14. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I cant listen to this dribble. So much flawed logic on both sides

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  15. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I apologize on behalf of the Indian community for this piece of hot garbage

CBG likes this.
  16. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Anyone sympathetic to Manshit clearly doesn’t know the history here of his making up stories to push his brand. He’s the epitome of a pencil neck weasel.

And that’s ok.

If you don’t know then it’s better that way. Avoid his clickbait and articles with fake sources, and life will be good.

rohirrim665 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The simple reason I don''t read Mehta is because he doesn't know what he's talking about - American football. He's far less informed than most of the fans he's supposedly trying to provide information to. He's a waste of print, and I won't waste my time reading him - I already wasted enough just responding to this thread.

Brook! likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The NY Jets suck.

Print that.

Revisionist history doesn't help us one bit.

We desperately need a head of football operations.
    Someone who'll make the difficult decisions on all team personnel. Someone smart with a record of success.

That someone is Oprah.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I understand that. I'm just saying that I think Marrone is better than Bowles.

20. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I tell you one thing that really drives me nuts, is people who think that Jethro Tull is just a troll on a forum....