Ball Security, Penalties & Pass Rush

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

PASS RUSH
    I must say I am pleased with the pass rush so far. We have been getting pressure on the QB's & getting sacks 3 of which were negated due to penalties in the first 2 games, but at least we got there. Copeland, Anderson, Jenkins have all been a welcomed surprise. Might even want to add Luvu.

PENALTIES
    Too many costly penalties on offense & defense. Negating sacks & third down stops on defense. Putting offense in a hole too many times on offense especially when we had poor field position all game.

BALL SECURITY
    One of the main things I was worried about Sam was ball security in the pocket. So far Sam hasn't lost any fumbles in two games+pre season & he has been under plenty of pressure. As far as interceptions 3 in his first 2 starts as a rookie is not terrible but I expect him to improves as the year goes on.

JUST LIKE OUR FIRST GAME WAS A TEAM WIN, OUR SECOND GAME WAS A TEAM LOSS
    Interceptions, penalties, RobbY's fumble killed a good drive & turned into 7 points for Miami.
    Herndon & Pryor dropped passes killed two more drives. You can't expect a rookie QB to make up for
    all those mistakes.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO. There are penalties and there are penalties. Some are borderline, a few are BS, many are simply bone head plays or poor technique. And then there are those unforgivable, obvious, inexcusable, " you have to know better than that " penalties that totally screws you up and cost you possession of the ball, or a first down or negates a big gain. Number 41 for the Jets defense is the supreme ruler of the ill conceived, unnecessary face mask, or obvious holding, or unnecessary roughness exactly when you can most ill afford it. That last type of penalty needs to be fixed now or change players. Just my two cents.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Just some super basic stats, for the discussion:

Jets are 18th in the NFL in Sacks
    Jets are 15th in Penalties per game
    Jets are 4th (tied) in net Turnovers

Now again, these are just the basic stats. They've had at least 2 third down penalties that resulted in a first down. These have been absolutely killer. I'd rather have 3 false starts than 1 defensive holding on third down. I dont have the breakdown of penalties, but it would be interesting to see.

Overall, this isnt much worse, or better than I was expecting. Net turnovers are better than I thought, but I'm sure that will stabilize more. I dont think they'll be getting 5 INTs per game.

#3 jcass10, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, some of the penalties were caused by frequent changing up the snap count due to the fact that the Jets had to counter Miami having two top PR's on their D-line. I don't know if that's just inexperience on the O-line or poor preparation which would be on the coaches.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You know who else is pleased with our pass rush?

Ryan Tannehill waiting for AJ Derby to run free in the endzone.

NYJetsO12 and Jets69 like this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Your picking one play. You can't get to the QB every time. Take the whole game into consideration and we put a lot of pressure on Tanny. I believe we had 4 sacks and 2 more negated due to penalty. That is what I say I'm pleased with.