Baker Mayfields career

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by forevercursed, Apr 26, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Well right in that the arguments were he wasn't accurate, with 17 INTS his last season was a INT machine, and had a weak arm.

I liked him because I thought he was one of those guys who always seems to come up with a way to win

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

from a cleveland site

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/10/cleveland_browns_postgame_scri_30.html

Cleveland Browns Postgame Scribbles: How defenses are approaching Baker Mayfield -- Terry Pluto

PITTSBURGH -- Scribbles in my Browns notebook after their 33-18 loss to the Steelers.

1. Keep Baker Mayfield passing from the pocket. That is the new game plan being faced by the Browns rookie quarterback. The first to mention it publicly was coach Anthony Lynn after his L.A. Chargers beat the Browns, 38-14, in Week 6. It came up again after Sunday's loss in Pittsburgh.

2. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said: "I thought we could have done a better job keeping him (Mayfield) in the pocket." Tomlin said the Browns were moving the ball early in the game because Mayfield was "creating plays for himself when he was escaping the rush and extending plays. Once we got that under control, I felt comfortable with where we were."

3. What is Tomlin talking about? Mayfield is only 6-foot. There are times when he has trouble seeing over the rushing defenders -- and his own blocking lineman. He is effective throwing on the run -- when the defense is scrambling after him.

4. Obvious question: Why not create more plays for Mayfield to throw on the run -- and out of the pocket? One of the impressive aspects of Mayfield's game has been his willingness to stay in the pocket under pressure. It's why he has a chance to be a good NFL quarterback. But he's been sacked 17 times in the past four games. He's taking a lot of hard hits. And he's not being very productive.

5. Mayfield said Pittsburgh was showing him a lot of different formations and movement on defense: "They did a good job bringing the right blitzes...they bring one guy and make it look like they are bringing someone else. That's just good coaching and execution on their part."

6. Mayfield was sacked just twice. But he was hit on five other occasions, nearly as effective for the defense as a sack. Many times, Mayfield seemed like he couldn't throw the ball downfield -- his first preference.

7. Mayfield is a rookie quarterback seeing something painfully new nearly every game. Mayfield didn't play in the opener, a 21-21 tie with the Steelers. Tyrod Taylor was the starter. Mayfield never has played so many games against so many quick, talented defenses.

8. I also doubt Mayfield ever has played this poorly. He is 1-3 as a starter with the Browns. His team has scored only six TDs in the past four games. Mayfield added: "It's very frustrating...we have to learn from the situation and learn from the mistakes...we have a better team than we showed today."

9. Mayfield's final stats: 22-of-36 passing for 180 yards, 2 TDs and one interception. Not awful. But he was 15-of-27 passing for only 105 yards before the Browns' final drive of the game -- when Pittsburgh was playing soft coverage just to let the clock run out.

10. Eye-popping stat: No Browns player had more than 39 yards receiving. Jarvis Landry had 39, and he needed eight catches to do it. The Browns had a 24-yard TD pass to tight end Seth DeValve near the end of the fourth quarter. That was their longest passing play.

11. That shows a few things: a) Mayfield didn't have much time to throw long. b) Receivers were not getting open. c) Mayfield had no real flow to his game, and part of that is his confidence being shaken.

12. NFL teams not only scout heavily in person and on tape, they also have analysts studying where quarterbacks throw...from the pocket...rolling left...rolling right. They are putting together a book on Mayfield. He'll have to adjust, and the coaching staff must help him.

13. I know that scouts from the Baltimore Ravens and Kansas City were at this game. No doubt, there were others. A big part of their job is looking for weaknesses and tendencies in Mayfield.

14. In 2016, Jared Goff was a rookie. He lost all seven of his starts. He looked completely overmatched. In 2017, he became a good quarterback. Now in his third season, the former No. 1 draft pick is an elite quarterback. Browns fans hate to hear this, but it takes time with rookie quarterbacks before you know what they can do in the NFL.

15. There was a lot of major negatives for the Browns beyond Mayfield and the offense. At the half, Pittsburgh had a 14-6 lead. I thought the defense played reasonably well for the orange helmets. But Pittsburgh chewed up the Browns in the second half, especially on the ground.

16. Steelers running back James Conner rushed for 113 yards on 14 carries in the second half. Some of the holes for him were wide. At other times, he ran over Browns tacklers.

17. In their two games against Pittsburgh, the Browns have forced 11 turnovers. But they have turned those into 19 points.

18. Just like Carl Nassib haunted his old team with two key sacks for Tampa Bay last week, this time it was former Brown Joe Haden with a big interception. That was with 7:20 left in the second quarter. The Steelers had a 7-6 lead. Haden picked off a pass on the Pittsburgh 13-yard line. Then the Steeler offense steamrollered 87 yards to score a TD right before halftime.

19. Greg Joseph opened the game with field goals from 34 and 45 yards for the Browns. At that point, he was 10-of-11 on field goals for the Browns. Then he missed a 41-yarder. On his next kick, he missed an extra point.

20. Jackson, on if the Browns will have a new kicker next week: "We'll see." Kicks are being missed all over the NFL, so the Browns may not rush to get rid of Joseph.

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Don't bother. He's a bust according to some here.

5. Rollo Tomassi

Takes 3 years to judge.

But I think Cleveland is happy with their decision.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Ask the Indians in 33 years

7. GasedAndConfused

hard to take you seriously when you ignore the thread for 6 bad weeks in a row then bump it after 1 good game lol. he also has a great run game and the top pass blocking o-line in the NFL to help him.

8. Rollo Tomassi

Why don't you piss off, I've been here the whole time and I really don't care that some strange creepy kid on the internet with an unhealthy hate for some random player isn't taking me "seriously".

Lol, who gives a fuck what I think. Get over it or get some help, it's sad.

I was out of the country for 2 weeks, sorry you missed my posting.

Wait, don't you have me on Ignore?

Put me back on.

9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Okay guys, I'll say it.

SGB you fucked up on Baker. He's shown nothing but really impressive QB play, which is what he showed in college but for some reason you had a vendetta against him and refused to see it.

RT get over it. Your player evaluations are no better than anybody else's here. The difference is when you were right you belittle the people who disagreed with you, but when you were wrong the rest of us have enough decency not to bump your old posts.

Noam, phubbadaman and CotcheryFan like this.
  10. Rollo Tomassi

I'm not bumping HIS old post. This was a multiple- merged thread to discuss Baker Mayfield, he just started the original. It'd be really stupid to start ANOTHER Baker Mayfield thread so it could get merged.

I'm not saying my player evaluations are any better than anyone else's. But anyone who thought Mayfield could play in this league was belittled. It isn't just me, there are a bunch of folks here who feel the same exact way.

I'll continue to post in this thread if it's ok with you or I'll start a new one. Let me know your preference.

11. GasedAndConfused

i don't have a vendetta by any means and will fully admit i was wrong if he pans out. but 1.5 good games out 7 or 8 with a top o-line and great run game isn't exactly panning out. I also never said my evaulations were better then anyone else's we are all just making our best guess even NFL GMs with more access then we have so not sure what your issue is

12. GasedAndConfused

fixed

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I wish our QB could play the Bucs and Falcons

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

You need help kid.

Seriously.

15. CotcheryFan

16. GasedAndConfused

lol not needed. if i'm wrong i'm wrong. I've been wrong many times as has many others here and even NFL GMs. IDK why people get their panties in a bunch over who's right and wrong on a forum

17. GasedAndConfused

i never belittled anyone but you have belittled me and harassed me over his 2 quarters of play but you know, i didn't get all butthurt over it. i just ignored your nonsense. for someone who calls others "kid" you sure as shit don't act like an adult

18. CotcheryFan

That pic wasn't directed at you or anyone. I posted it because this thread is just back and forth between the crowd that doesn't believe in Mayfield and the crowd that does believe in him. And not the constructive kind of back and forth.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

i know but still it's possible for 2 people to have different opinions and it not be a complete shit show. not possible in this thread obviously, but possible and should be the norm with adults having a discussion but for some reason a screen in front of people makes them act shittier then they would in real life

20. Rollo Tomassi

Seriously kid, get some help.

I feel bad for you.