Baker Mayfield Has "A Long Way to Go"

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Falco21, Jun 15, 2018.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

If Baker busts, I am taking Edge's QB award and giving it to Legler :D:D:D

cause thats how he won :p

FJF likes this.
  2. This was my concern w Mayfield.He doesnt have anywhere to go physically or playing style wise both of which had major questions coming out. If he cant flourish in a quick passing gane w everything schemed to his advantage what adjustments can be made?pretty much none. Hes peaked physucally & is nlt scheme duverse.As it stands now..he learns the playbook,adjusts to speed of the game & you hope thats good enough to carry a franchise.We’ll see.

Itd be nice to see all this talent on the browns come together bc its legit.However the vibe coming out of camp is so eerily similar to every other offseason in recent memory..how are they gonna screw this one up?

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mayfield went to the Browns so he's gonna bust no matter what now. my wife is from Cleveland. I told my in-laws thank you for the Browns passing on Sam Darnold. Strangely enough all my in-laws seem to think Darnold will be a big bust now. :rolleyes: They've been wrong before :D:D

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

to be fair though kurt, they said that about Mayfield before though... that's one of the reasons he had to walk on at Texas Tech and Okie, folks didn't think he brought much physically to the position. But they were proven wrong as it's only a smart part of what it takes to succeed as a QB.

I agree though completely in that he needs to play in the right system, absolutely. They are the Browns so they will probably screw that up but I will say that while Mayfield needs to play in the right system, he is really good at what he does. If they can crack the code he can have a good NFL career. Were talking about the Browns though, so they probably won't.

Mayfield is Jeff Garcia. Ironically, the Browns screwed it up with Jeff Garcia before as well

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. Yeah its not even that im doubting Mayfield.Hes proven everyone wrong up until this stage.But its nice to have somewhere to turn to developmentally if the original plan of action comes up short or he isnt making enough strides. Other than learning the playbook & taking snaps under center he is what he is. This all chips to the midfdle of the table for Mr Dorsey.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I think Mayfield obviously has to figure out the pro game and the “system”.

But he is supremely physically gifted and has all the arm talent he needs to be a star. Couple that with his drive and the dude is going to be a player.

7. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I get what you're all saying but its really early and these guys don't have a lot of time to work with coaches in the offseason. Maybe it takes BM longer to adjust or maybe he never does, but its still too early to say for sure. I'm just happy the Browns drafted him so we could get Darnold.

8. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I was all for Mayfield and I have to admit I'm surprised that he can't even compete with the middling Tyrod Taylor. The Browns can play this down all they want but I believe they are a bit surprised as to how behind Mayfield is and how well Darnold is doing. Mayfield is already 23 he made a ton of college starts. You'd expect him to be a lot more ready. I mean Darnold may win the job outright. Not saying he will but if he does he would do it by being 2 1/2 years younger than Mayfield, and by beating out two legitimate NFL qb's. I mean McCown is no worldbeater but he was better than Tyrod last year. Bridgewater is at least equal to Taylor if not better.

I still want to know what changed late in that Browns war room because up until like the last week the worst kept secret in football was Darnold to Cleveland. Something changed. Dorseys "I knew for 5 weeks" crap is utter garbage.

Could the Jets massive smokescreen regarding how much they loved Mayfield swayed Cleveland? I think it actually did. We didn't meet Darnold until very late in the proces becase it was a foregone conclusion he was a Brown

9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I wonder about that as well. Part of me thinks the Patriots rumors of wanting to trade up for him helped, too. I couldn't believe the Browns when they passed on both Darnold AND Chubb.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

damn backtracking already? cause I remember you chanting Mayfield just as loud as anyone ... like damn at least fight for the prospect you truly believed in. + it's still early ... oh and smh ... :rolleyes:

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Considering that all anyone has seen is guys throwing in shorts, it strikes me as ridiculously premature to say that anyone is ahead of anyone at this point, whether it's Mayfield versus Taylor, or Mayfield versus Darnold, for that matter.

Harpua, Brook!, TonyFtLaud and 5 others like this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Me too.

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

He's 23 lol

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol @ him sitting two years becuase of a negative ota report

Walt White likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

has nothing to do with the OTAs at all

16. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I expected Mayfield to sit a year, Allen to sit 2 years, Darnold to sit a half year and Rosen to start day 1 over Bradford. I can't wait until TC starts up, this should be very interesting. I'll be following all of them.

Walt White likes this.
  17. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Buster Merryfield. He's the guy in the hat.

18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Forget about Mayfield. The Browns. I'm neutral on them. One of my Uncles is a die-hard Cleveland Browns fan. No idea why, he's not from Ohio. It was just his team going back to the early 50s.

I am a fan of the Jets and the Jets only, but there are some teams that I like when it comes to beating other teams that I don't like. Cleveland, I was a fan in the moment in 2010 when Colt McCoy raped the Cheats. Chansi Stuckey, ex-Jet had a good game. Anyway, the final score was 34 - 14 if memory serves me. Belicheat was looking more constipated than ever and the presser was fun. As usual, "They made some plays, we made some plays, they made more plays." Fukk you.

Any given Sunday, as the saying goes. What was this about again?

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Stream of unconsciousness.

20. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Keepin' it rale..

FJF likes this.