Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I think his height is less than 6'1". I don't know if he's Mac's type of QB to suit his perception of what physical attributes he's looking for. If Doug Flutie comes to mind as a comparison, that's fine, but height is a definite issue for an NFL QB.

2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

There's exceptions. Brees, Wilson, Jim McMahon comes to mind. McMahon because of the cock sure nature he has. I think it's inner confidence and belief in himself. He can play QB and he may be a better thrower than Wilson in some ways also. I think of Brees also when I look at him. The Manziel comparisons are way off base imo. I'm not saying why 'cause it's obvious. Just prove to me he's a drug addict alcoholic fronting douchebag

The Combine and Pro days will determine a lot also.

But your point about size is valid. He might not go high and then later becomes a better value in a GM's eyes.

He seems to see the field really well and that's one of the reasons Brees is so good. There's a lot of tall guys that just don't see and understand the field.

#102 Walt White, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield was a walk on. Do we care about that? A better question... are there any other examples of QBs that started out as walk ons in college and made themselves successful NFL quarterbacks?

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

He's had a stellar 4 yr college career. Even as a fr. at Texas Tech he put up good numbers. His ability and production should be what matters, not how he got on the football field.

Added 12/10: Additionally, the guy won the Heisman Trophy by a wide margin. That means he is considered better than thousands of guys who got scholarships. Does it make sense to care how he began playing? There are a few NFL QB's who were walk-ons in college. True, none have amounted to anything, but none ever won the Heisman.

#104 westiedog1, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Kid went against the grain and became Heisman! Shows me he's willing to work hard for success. That's a bigger plus for me than it is concern... but that's just me. I think he'll keep that chip on his shoulder moving forward.. "From a walk on... to a Heisman... to a first round pick.. to a super bowl champion!"

No matter what team he gets drafted too.. I think it would be awesome to see it happen.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  6. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The board has been stacked against Mayfield and given what he's been able to accomplish despite the adversity.

He may not be the most physically gifted QB's, but he may have the most heart and fire to him and sometimes that is what makes someone great.

I'm not saying he's going to be Russel Wilson or anything, but if he's there when the Jets are on the clock, he's gotta be the pick.

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

The most important stat in regards to Mayfield is 68.6, aka his completion percentage. Accuracy translates to the NFL. It is not a guarantee of success (Geno Smith), but I'd rather take a chance on a QB that is that accurate than a "prototype" QB whose completion pct is in the mid 50s (Hackenberg, Allen).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.
  8. grkmanga31

Agreed. It seems a lot safer to draft a QB with a higher completion percentage. Allen seems too risky to me even though he's the most physically gifted prospect coming out. Allen would be too much like the Hack pick - banking too much on the upside and hoping everything goes right when we need to just pick the QB that shows more positives.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If you watch Mayfield play, you see that his CMP% is more of a product of his offense rather than his accuracy. He's not as accurate as his CMP% would suggest. Like Geno he tend to throw the ball late at times and his ball placement leaves a lot to be desired. Rosen, Darnold and Stidham are much more accurate than Mayfield despite having lower CMP%s.

FJF likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The only caveat" Assuming Rosen isn't there when they pick.

11. grkmanga31

Yea naturally but he won’t be. He’ll go one or 2. No way browns and giants pass up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think that's a fair assessment, but it might be that he's as accurate as he needs to be, meaning that since he can get away with some sloppiness he does, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't be more accurate. That said, he's going to have to prove that, and until proven he represents a risk in that regard.

I also like Stidham, and think of him as a "poor man's Rosen", but he represents some risk also.

13. grkmanga31

14. grkmanga31

Great film break down and man did I see a lot of great qualities in Baker. Would love if Jets picked him up, think he's fiary and that fire to win can be infectious to players around him.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The trend I seem to be noticing is that TGG continues to make comparisons of BM as a Big 12 QB with our Petty as something to be worried/ suspicious of

In reality, nothing could be further from the truth!..Petty WAS NEVER put in the same class as a legit first Round Heisman Trouphy winner Mayfield!!

Petty is who he is ...a 4th rounder playing like a 4th rounder

This guy is among the big 3 Draftable QB group and imo a winner

Gimme Rosen ..Gimme Darnold...but won't complain if we got this young man

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

sweet VochLombardi, doesn't get any better in terms of prospect viewing

grkmanga31 likes this.
  17. grkmanga31

I think Rosen and Darnold are way gone but if the Jets are serious about landing a QB in the draft, they'll have to do what it takes to get Mayfield. I like his tape the more and more I watch

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

I still don't see a lot of anticipation on his throws, the first one specifically they highlighted. I do think he has a good arm, but I don't think he can get it to Anderson in stride 40 yards down the field. Regardless, there's a lot to like from Mayfield. He has good pocket presence and is pretty accurate on short and intermediate routes. Can make the reads w out panicking

Mayfield is a good player though, I personally wouldn't take him over Lamar Jackson, Rosen or Darnold, but this class is polarizing.

Red Menace likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

Big dawg Mayfield will go to the Senior Bowl.

Mayfield, here are some brownie points.

JohnnyP123456 likes this.
  20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Mayfield is ridiculous man. He's completing 71% of his passes despite an 8% drop rate (which is extremely high). His Y/A is over 11, which is ridiculous. His adjusted completion percentage (accounting for drops and throwaways) is 82.6% which is nonsense.

This is one of the most efficient QB's in the history of college football. He can throw with touch, evade pressure and make plays with the best of them, don't try to tell me he's a product of that offense. Hopefully the teams at the top take the QB's with the "measurables" and we get the gamer.

westiedog1 and xxedge72x like this.