Baker Mayfield Games Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Dec 11, 2016.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he throws for 3 TDs and tells a team that is 1-25 the last 3 years to suck it after they wouldn't shake hands in the pregame haha

Brook! and Jets_Grinch like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He'll forever be a polarizing figure. Not sure the Jets want one of those.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield suspended for final game of season against W. VA. due to inappropriate gestures vs. Kansas.

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It’s not for the whole game. He might sit out the first drive or for the first quarter.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. Article I saw said he was benched, so I assumed it was for the whole game.

Added 11/22/17: If it's any consolation, the Kansas players, 3 of them, who refused to shake Mayfield's hand, were relieved of team captaincy for their next game against Okla. St.

#65 westiedog1, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Martin&theJETS likes this.
  6. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Baker Mayfield is the most accurate QB to ever come out of college with a 70% cmp% over the last three years.
    Completed 756 pass attempts out of 1082. with 110 TDs and only 20 Ints. I like his attitude and fire.

7. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Miss this fire and attitude from the Jets - one of the few things, in hindsight, I appreciate about the rex era. Baker has it in spades

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Surprising considering the late throws and inconsistent ball placement I see on tape. I wonder how much of that is due to the offense they run and the defenses, or lack there of, he is going up against.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Can anyone verify this?

This guy is a jackass. I swear, If he played in a conference that actually plays defense, he'd be compared to Connor Cook.

10. grkmanga31

11. grkmanga31

Feel like he's a jackass to a certain degree, but a lot of the things that have transpired this year have added details that aren't being reported or heavily focused on. For example in the video above with Baylor, they were calling Oklahoma players "pus*** ass n-word"

Against Kansas, there was clearly beef as Kansas players wouldn't even shake his hand from the beginning. Obviously, there were words flying back and forth and a Kansas player did cheap shot him.

So although it's not exactly great that Mayfield has a mouth on him, it's also not great that the media is portraying him solely as the bad guy.

Mayfield isn't going to react this way, unless there's a reason to.

NFL teams are going to interview Mayfield and ask him about all of these situations, and at the next level he better know that retaliating and not being the better man is going to cost him.

To me, this is Mayfield being young, over-confident, and having to deal with a bunch of trash talkers.

The trash talking, cheap shots, etc won't stop at the next level so his approach has to change. Has to be more mature, and has to let his play do the talking.

12. 101GangGreen101

Why you would need to talk trash against Kansas is beyond me. Yeah, they didn't shake your hand, they are also 1-12, things are bad enough for him. Also, the above video I posted, throwing a football at someone's head during warmups? If that is really him, then he's not a good character guy and is a wannabe bully.

I don't think this is media related, this is just Mayfield being a jackass. No way, am I drafting this guy with a high pick. He's overrated as well.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Was reading that he used to throw at opposing players head often when he was at Texas Tech and his dad is a dick also from what they say.

14. 101GangGreen101

It's the same story as Connor Cook from MSU. His father was a total dick, he would tweet some offensive stuff.

15. legler82

I think a lot of people could live with Jeff Garcia but how many would draft him in the upper half of the first round?

16. legler82

In the ever so poetic words of Kendrick Lamar Mayfield needs to "...sit down; be humble". It's best to come into the league with some level of humility. When you allow the NFL to be the one to humble you, it's not pretty. I keep reading the pro-Mayfield crowd talk about how they love the arrogance and cockiness, but who was the last QB who was brash coming in as a prospect to make it? It seems to me like these type of guys never work out.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There is a difference between someone with fire and an absolute mediocre jerk. This dipshit is worse than Johnny football. No thanks

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

He's in the running for the Heisman and his numbers are superior to everyone else so mediocre jerk - specifically if you're talking about his football skills is inaccurate.

If you want to talk about him as a human being - being hot headed and not knowing how to conduct himself better in situations like these then sure.

You have to know though - he is going to be drafted in round 1 and the Jets may be the team that drafts him as he isn't in the first pool of players (Darnold/Rosen).

westiedog1 likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

He's going to get the Lonzo Ball treatment by opponents, his teammates MIGHT like him, but he better light it up otherwise his act will sour real quick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's the type of player the Jets really don't need. Yes, he might become great, but then again, he might well blow up like Manziel. I'd be very surprised if Macc takes that chance.

hwismer likes this.