Austin Seferian-Jenkins wants $7m per season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So? not many TEs are picking up huge YAC and those one's are making 8+ million a year. He also can't control the routes he's told to run

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Let him test the market. We'll come back to him after making important decisions.

tiger8mush likes this.
  3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

If he's hard set on that figure, good luck on your next gig, ASJ.

4. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He regressed second half of season. He’s a #2 TE and ain’t worth that money. Give him 9 million for 2 5 guaranteed or c ya

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Big body but slow as molasses.I agree, let him walk unless he's cheap

6. GasedAndConfused

disagree with that but ok. our whole offense regressed especially when mccown went down. hard to blame that on ASJ. He's not an explosive TE but doens't mean he's not a good one. his blocking got really good along the way too and he was used as a blocker more down the stretch.

Still i'm ok with letting him walk if need be. i'd take a hard look at burton as well and we have legget coming back off injury and tomlinson looked good too

Mogriffjr and sec314 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I always thought he was better...he made some amazing grabs, especially along the sidelines. Maybe it's just his cool name!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

No, $7M a year would put him right at top 10 or 11 for the position and he is certainly not a top ten TE

9. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

I am torn with this one. On one hand I do think $7M is a lot as his production to this point does not match. On the other hand, the guy is the only thing we have had resembling a TE since Dustin Keller, and with the right QB and some extra work, I deff think he can become a serious mismatch that keeps d-coordinators up at night.

We have the money to do it. Fuck it. Sign him.

KurtTheJetsFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. The Waterboy

26th in total yards, 99th in yards per reception, 24th in yards per game, 22nd in 1st downs, he is that bad and that is not average. He only has one average stat and that is number of receptions, the problem is he does nothing after the catch.

11. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Having a big body like that really takes the pressure off whatever QB we draft. Huge safety net. Had a ton of calls go against him last year, and I think he is only going to get better. Sometimes you gotta pay a little more for the potential someone has instead of letting him walk. If we were strapped against the wall salary cap wise, I would say no, but the money is flowing and we gotta spend it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. The Waterboy

They can give him $4M a year with incentives that bumps it up to $7M+ if he ends up having a career year and being top 10 in a couple of categories. Need to remember he has not been anything resembling a top ten TE in any of his first 4 seasons, potential should have shown in at least one of those seasons. Spend that cap on proven players not potential.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There aren't more than 10-15 good tight ends in this league. You can't look at the worst starting TE's salary and claim that he should be right there. Also I know people love to point to YAC and yards, but he doesn't choose what routes he runs. For all the good Morton did, not sending your athletic, big bodied TE up the seem once per series was very stupid. He was sent on 4-5 yard outs more often than not.

He's too physically talented to lump in with the run of the mill tight ends, and that's why he won't be come contract time.

14. GasedAndConfused

can't blame him for lack of opportunities. obviously he's not gronk or walker gaining huge YAC but he's a solid TE with good hands that picks up tough first downs for us.

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You don't pay a player for getting clean, you pay him on performance.
    It's a nice story, a nicer one would have been if he stayed clean since HS and didn't piss away so much potential for years. Then he may have $7 million worth of production.
    Sheldon's been clean for 2 years, do we resign him at his current market value as a reward.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  16. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

ASJ is just a mediocre tight end, a slightly above average pass catcher, and a slightly below average blocker. He isn't worth 7 million dollars a season. In fact, I just checked Pro Football Focus and they have ASJ as the 44th ranked tight end; which means mediocre might be a generous evaluation of him.

The Waterboy likes this.
  17. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I'd rather give Eifert a prove it deal for likely the same amount of money, or possibly see what the Lions want for Ebron.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  18. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

That or Tre Burton, Jimmy Graham... There are plenty of options out there besides Jenkins.

19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’d really like to see the Jets draft a TE. It’s time to start loading up on offensive playmakers in the draft.

Ideally it would be nice to sign Robinson, a couple OL and CB in FA. Draft can then look like..

1.QB
    2. TE/HB
    2. HB/TE

20. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Have another beer bub. The going rate for a tight end of ASJ's caliber is easily 7 million per year. He's not a problem off the field like Robby nut in your wife's eye is. The Jets would be fools to let ASJ walk....and even bigger fools to keep Robby if they find his replacement in free agency and/or the draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.