Austin Seferian-Jenkins wants $7m per season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Eff him.

I never fell for the I'm a new man now act. It was all about the payday once he gets it he'll go back to his old ways.

MacCagnan should pull the Jets offer off the table I don't think he'll get much action on the open market. He's a JAG the Jets could get him back much cheaper (hey a decent backup TE couldn't hurt he he he) if they play their cards right.

2. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

That's my point exactly. Maybe you and I differ on the definition of average, but my feeling is ASJ is slightly below average coupled with a risk factor. If he gets another DUI he's gone and the Jets got fleeced again. I still do think the Jets should offer him a contract, but only what's commensurate with his accomplishments and his rather colored reputation/past. If you're correctly taking into account all of the factors his offer should be 4.75. That's fair. And if he wants to try his luck in FA? I say let him. There's better and younger talent in the draft.

3. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

That's a lot of money for one catch and two drops per game.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Pay him....if not for the late trade for Kerse he would have been the best offensive option on the team. Shit Anderson may be in jail next season. We need pass catching options! I know Obaguba is coming back, but still.....

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Tomlinson had 70 YAC on 8 receptions to ASJ's 99 YAC on 50 receptions. His 1st down percentage is a joke, yards per reception is also laughable. Hell, Forte had almost as many yards as him on 37 receptions. The Jets could go down to the Bowery if they just want another bum.

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

We have Leggett coming back, so frig this guy and get a FA...

Mainejet likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

7 million for ASJ,,,,,,UMMMMMMMM,,,,,,,,,,,,no. If thats really what he wants I would not think twice and move on IMO simply not worth the money

grkmanga31 likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He is a below average TE, with a lot of excess baggage.

So Jets should reward his audacity. Pay the man. NOT.

Mainejet likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree, he has too many drops Jenkins, I like him at 5 mil, I like Burton

10. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Austin Seferian-Jenkins turned his life and career around, so in my eyes he's earned an extension. Why throw all that away? Keeping Jenkins is the right thing to do. I see him having a career year next season.

#50 playtowinthegame, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. We’re really gonna pinch pennies w. The hole we’ve had at Tight end for so long? ASJ is average but better than anything we’ve had in quite sometime.

Seems like every Free agency we prioritize the position & cant land anyone cause we don’t have a QB!Short of Cousins coming here how will this offseason be any different?

I’d rather pay ASJ the extra 2M a year than go back to the “Chan Gailey doesn’t Ike Tight Ends” or Jeff Cumberland eras.

#51 KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Even worse than Jermaine was his brother Jeff. You should have seen him.

13. Good catch. All fixed.

I actually liked JEFF as a niche role player. But as a primary target in the passing game on a weekly basis it was a disaster. The primary reason he continued to be put in that role is b.c the team could never sign or draft an upgrade. In the case of FA It's b.c of the QB situation.

It's like we finally get somewhat lucky on a longshot pick-up at a position the team rarely gets right & now we're just gonna toss him aside for 1.5-2m's a year? Aren't we the team w. 100M's in cap space? It's easy for folks to say we could toss him to the curb & upgrade w. another signing.That all sounds fine & good..but who's coming here w.o a QB? ASJ could be our best shot.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

First off I was just messing around.

Second I didn’t hate Jeff either, just didn’t like making him a prime player like we tried to.

Third I completely agree that we should toss him aside for an extra mil or two a year. There are ways to hide that, especially if you backload it. He won’t even be 30 when this contract ends. I dont hesitate to give it to him.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. M00ndawg

M00ndawg Member

At 7million a year... Let's just pass on this one people. He's AVG at best.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

refs had something to do with that, no?

17. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

No the refs did not have something to do with him having only 99 YAC, or his total yards, or his first down percentage. Even if you gift him a couple of questionable calls against him he is still a mediocre TE not worth anywhere near $7M a year. I was having this same discussion during the season and I finally relented and said I would not think it would be too bad if they gave him $5.5M a year but still thinking $5 should be tops and I think that is what Jets brass is shooting for with an opening offer of $4m per year.

18. BroadwayAaron

Hate to break it to you, but $7m a year is exactly what mediocre TE's are getting...

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

4.5mil is literally the lowest paid TE starting in the NFL. he's not nearly that bad. he's average. 6-7mil is his value. and it's not really an opinion it is what it is.

NCJetsfan and Sam Hammer like this.
  20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

9 – Austin Seferian-Jenkins had the lowest yards per catch (74 receptions, 7.1 YPC) in the NFL among all players with more than 50 receptions at 7.1 yards, outside of Carlos Hyde (59 receptions, 5.9 YPC).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.