Austin Seferian-Jenkins wants $7m per season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Macc is pretty generous so ASJ should get what he's asking for.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Macc has been pretty good with contracts. I don't worry about him handling the checkbook.

FJF likes this.
  3. Cman68

Well, I guess the Revis and your namesake's contracts were outliers.. :)

4. BroadwayAaron

Revis and Cro are the only two that come to mind, and I understood why he handed those deals out when he did.

Mo's contract wasn't bad. The fact that we are out of it in year 2 is exactly why. Even the number was team friendly considering he was a pro bowl caliber DE for years leading up to that point.

I don't worry one bit about overpaying. I don't worry one bit about trading. I worry a lot about talent evaluation in the draft.

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  5. Cman68

Nobody is perfect..You worry about Macc's drafting with good reason. I'm more concern with his overspending even though I have very little faith in his QB drafting acumen.

6. BroadwayAaron

It's something I don't worry about because he's yet to give us a reason to worry about it. He's made some smart financial moves and like I said, no truly awful contracts. He's found decent talent for little to no money that have played well for us. If only he could find talent in the draft like he could the waiver wire.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

overspending is relative. the only way to "over spend" in the NFL is to offer a much higher contract then any other team out there. this thread is a perfect example of the poo perception of players values and the cap. eveyrone's initial impression of ASJ wanting 7 mil was "way too much" myself included, however actually looking at the salaries of NFL TEs it pays him like an average starter which is what his value should be. so 7mil isn't overpaying for ASJ but everyone here thinks it is.

FJF likes this.
  8. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

ASJ must have climbed back in the bottle if he really thinks he's worth that kind of money. I wouldn't give him half that amount.

9. GasedAndConfused

that would make him the lowest paid starting TE not on a rookie contract. you really think he's the worst starting TE in the NFL?

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Without looking? Maybe not the worst. OK, so I exaggerated a smidge. I would offer him up to say 4.75 million? He's not worth anything north of 5 million. The Jets are building a team from the ground up here. Mac cannot pay this guy 7 knowing that there are much better TE's in this draft. ASJ is easily replaceable.

11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Well if the Jets want to shift to a more run oriented offense, they may want someone who can block better. A kid like Tomlinson maybe back because he's cheap and is a good blocker. Maybe the Jets will find someone who's a bit more balanced in terms of giving more as a blocker and more reliable with his receiving game. Burton is worth a look but again, I don't recall him being much of a blocker. He's athletic and can stretch the field and would come cheaper.

12. GasedAndConfused

read my other post and link. an average starting TE in the NFL is worth exactly that. 7 mil.
    5 mil would tie him for the 20th highest paid right above rhett ellison (who is a backup) and below guys like vernon davis, jared cook, and deon simms.
    7 mil would tie for 12th most with bennet and gresham. a little higher then vance mcdonald and a little lower then C.J fiedorwisz

Man jet fans are more stingy with the huge amount of money we have like if it was their own. Miami was 9mil over the cap and sitll traded for quinn which will put them 20mil over. never lose an opportunity to improve your team

Imagesrdecieving and FJF like this.
  13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I've got to respectfully disagree about Mo's contract. Paying thirty-seven million dollars for two years of subpar D-line pay, along with the poor attitude, tardiness etc, is an abysmal return on investment. Then factor in the nine million dollars in dead money for this upcoming season, and there's really no way to put a good spin on Wilkerson's signing.

14. BroadwayAaron

He was worth the money when the contract was signed. Hindsight means squat in this conversation.

TonyFtLaud, FJF, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

this^ a 27 year old pro bowl 10+ sack DE is worth their weight in gold in the NFL nobody could have predicted he's do so bad afterwards.

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Besides not being a great blocker, he's not a great receiver, either. He was 26th in the league in receiving yards for tight ends, and second-worst in the league in yards per reception among tight ends with more than 5 receptions (dead last among those with more than 15 receptions). And that doesn't even consider the questions about his hands (which might just be because of the two big catches that were overturned, of course). I think it's being very complimentary to call him an average starting tight end.

I doubt that NFL general managers share ASJ's view of his value.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

ASJ is tough when considering to sign him or not for $7 million. On one hand, he cleaned up his act in 2017 and had a somewhat productive year. Would have been much more productive if not for some terrible calls by the referees even! On the other hand, not sure he can be completely trusted yet. I think it is worth the risk. Maybe 3 years, $18 million, or 4 years, $24 million. Something like that.

18. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

He had a good first half of the season. He isn't friggin Gronk.

19. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

There was only 1 time last year that he caught a pass up the seam for around 20 yards...everything is short 4-5 yards.
    He is not a big threat on longer routes.
    He also has to many penalties called on him for holding. Not a very good blocker.
    I would not pay him more than 5mil per year. Don't forget we have legett back this year who I think will
    Be better receiver then asj

FJF likes this.
  20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I'd give him the 7M a year if he made those two TD catches.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.