ASOIAF: Game of Thrones Books (Contains SPOILERS!!)

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I tried this thread a while back, but there were only a few people that had read the books then.

THIS THREAD IS FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE READ ALL OF THE BOOKS.

THERE ARE SPOILERS. IF YOU READ THIS THREAD, AND YOU ONLY WATCH THE SHOW, IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

So, now that that is out of the way, this is the thread for people that think they know something about these books.

Some guys are bursting at the seams with their opinions in the GOT thread and spoiling stuff without knowing it.

I am tired, and about to turn in, so if no one has posted by tomorrow, I'll knock the shit out of what you think is going too happen in future books.

Bitches.

#1 abyzmul, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

Thanks for doing this. I'm tired of people not realizing they are giving stuff away with their comments. That said, this will be my last post in this thread until I am caught up

3. abyzmul

You'll be here soon enough.

4. abyzmul

Anyway...

"The Prince That Was Promised", also known as the Son of Fire and Warrior of Light, is a mythic figure in the religion of the Lord of Light. According to prophecy, the Prince That Was Promised would be reborn "amidst salt and smoke" and pull a flaming sword from the flames, Lightbringer, to combat the coming darkness.

Guesses?

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Read all of 'em. Whaddaya wanna know? The last one was like a shitty reality show following around a midget in a boat, from what I remember.

If you want to read something groundbreaking and different, with great characters and plotlines at the same time, pick up some fantasy by Daniel Abraham or Adrian Tchaikovsky. Or just wait around forever for Martin and hope he decides to remember he's not Robert Jordan and actually start moving forward to some conclusion.

6. abyzmul

Hiker... I don't see you very often anymore. Thank you for the recommendation, and I will check out those authors, but that's not what this thread is for.

Now go get back under David Wells' butt.

:)

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I was contemplating creating a thread soley for the book.. I kid you not.

I was going to have the mods chime in 1st but now that you've done it, THANK YOU!!!

JFTR,
    No Book or Spoilers in the GOT HBO thread... Going to title them accordingly :)

8. abyzmul

You rock, RT.

I was going to sign off earlier, but I had to drop a deuce, so I may as well drop another one.

The Prince that was Promised has been assumed to be Jon Snow by a lot of people, mainly because of some obvious foreshadowing that makes it seem that Jon is the son of Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryan, which would technically make him a prince if they had married in secret, but both AFFC and ADWD contain the best unlikely candidates for the "Prince".

GRRM likes unlikely.

It's either Davos Seaworth or Podrick Payne.

Both were reborn "amidst salt and smoke" at the Battle of Blackwater.

Holy fuck I am tired.

9. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Jon Snow might be a candidate for being reborn under salt and smoke.

10. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

The Starks and Targaeryns are the main characters. It is either Jon Snow or Dany.

Here are some questions for you?

How does Arya influence anything for the rest of the books?

How does Tyrion influence anything for the rest of the books?

How does Sam influence anything for the rest of the books?

How does Bran influence anything by turning into a tree in the past, especially since there are so few trees remaining?

If Snow and Dany are two heads, who is the third head? Aegon? Tyrion? Rickon??

As I said in HBO thread, after how poor book 5 was, I'm not reading until he finishes the series.

My guess is that he does NOT finish in 2 more books. Too much to wrap up, especially with the Ironborn still running around out there.

11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

ill return to this thread once i finish the 5th book....But wanted to say that GRRM really needs up his game for the final 2 books to solidify the series as a all time great in fantasy

First three books are classics

12. akibud

akibud Active Member

I have no interest in reading the books, and I am a huge fan of the tv show at the same time. But, I am a big fan of knowing what comes next, somehow, I have a knack for watching tv like it's the first time I'm seeing it every time. Meaning, spoilers doesn't really spoil it for me, so thanks to all of you in advance for the great spoilers to come. :beer:

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Book 4 and 5 both ended on high notes though the beginning was a bit dry. Book 5 was a quality book, right up there with 2 I'd say. Nothing's matched the awesomeness of book 3 yet...

14. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm thinking the same thing.

I still think he is Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen's legitimately born son. Lyanna wasn't kidnapped and raped, she ran away with him by choice, maybe married him like Rob did his wife (I forget her name) and she died during childbirth. She made Ned swear before dying that he wouldn't tell anyone he was a Targaryen because they would kill him and he swore to raise him himself. This makes Jon Snow the legitimate heir to the throne, which, ultimately, is meaningless because considering he took the black and therefore gives up all his lands and titles.

That and he got stabbed a bunch of times and could be dead. I don't think he will be though.

I recognize there are holes in this story but nothing that can't be explained away. Unfortunately, if I am right, Ned Stark was probably the only one who knew the truth and it would have died with him.

15. deerow84

Four was the worst by far, still not a terrible book but sucked by compairson.

I would rank them as follows: 3, 1, 2, 5, 4.

16. dBLitzer28

dBLitzer28 Active Member

Might also be the other Targaryen that recently returned to Westeros.

17. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Howland Reed was at the Tower of Joy.

18. deerow84

That's true, just him and Ned survived. So he's the only one that this potential story can be revealed through. Hopefully he doesn't die.

19. abyzmul

I'm thinking that other Targaryan isn't really a Targaryan, but a Blackfyre that is being installed by Varys and Illlyrio.

20. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I'd argue the Lannisters are really the main characters.