As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It could definitely happen. Even though Hack or Petty could play well, we could have injuries at RB or WR or neither ASJ or Leggett could pan out. We know that our rookie safety tandem are likely to make some rookie mistakes that could cost us. Unless Greene is a miracle worker, we still won't have much of a pass rush. Claiborne has a problem staying healthy. If he doesn't, then unless our other CBs somehow REALLY step up and play over their heads, our pass D could easily struggle again. Another way is that the Jets could play well on D and on offense, but since we have a tough schedule, every team we play could simply be more talented. In addition, we have a rookie OC and it takes time for players to learn a new offense and gel. The easiest part of our schedule is early when the offense will be struggling most. By the time our offense starts geling, we'll be in the toughest part of our schedule. The Jets could fight hard, play smart, disciplined football, and still come up short on the scoreboard in 14 of 16 games. Young teams often have to learn how to win. With our CS, that could be even more true.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's really a matter of how they got there than where the ended up. Troy,Payton, even Marietta last year, there was enough visible evidence to know there was no need to select a qb again. No matter where we end up picking it won't be as important as how we got there. We'll have to see what hack puts on tape.
    One things for sure though,mac is putting all his chips in a qb next year.be it hack or a draft pick, in 2018 he better be right or angry crowd will be at his door

#142 FJF, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    westiedog1 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Even if your scenario were to happen and the Jets draft another QB, that wouldn't mean that they'd give up on Hack, just that they'd be hedging their bets or adding insurance. Of course, in that scenario, the rookie would get every chance to succeed, but if Hack clearly outplayed him in practice, OTAs, mini-camp, TC and preseason, I imagine that the Jets would probably go with Hack. Even if they didn't, they could possibly trade Hack for a good draft pick, or they'd have a quality backup for 2-3 years.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The simple truth that I see is if you need a QB, you target the one you like in the draft and go get him. You move up if you have to. If you play a whole season for draft position, there's no guarantee you'll be in the best position to draft the guy you want and you may end up drafting someone not suited to your team.

5. NCJetsfan

Sigh. You know what? I'm really tired of you guys twisting the discussion, and trying to make it about "tanking." It isn't. I don't know if you guys are only quickly scanning rather than carefully reading what I and other posters say, have reading comprehension issues, have an agenda you're trying to push or what, but it's beyond tired. I have never said that the Jets should tank or intentionally play badly, and I haven't seen anyone else go into detail saying that the Jets should tank or play for draft position. In fact, I've said the opposite. No one's saying the Jets are or should be intentionally playing the whole season for draft position, so your post is completely nonsense and irrelevant.

If the scenario plays out that I mentioned where the Jets (including Hack and/or Petty) play well, but still only win 1-2 games (or less) they should be drafting 1st or 2nd (3rd at worse) in the draft. If Hack or Petty has shown enough so that the Jets don't think they need to draft a QB, then they can trade down for multiple picks with a team that covets one of the QBs, or stay put and take the best pass-rushing OLB or LT. If they need a QB and are picking between 1st - 3rd in the draft, they could quite possibly get the QB they want, but may need to try to trade up to the #1 position.

6. This is the Jimmy Johnson draft philosophy. Forget need & best player available. Find the guy you really want, determine the most appropriate spot to take him & execute. This is where QB acquisition has been going in the last few drafts. When you look at how specialized & unique the QB occupation really is for the Jets: The type of make-up the individual needs to be the face of this franchise to go along w. the physical traits..the team almost has to have conviction & not just hope someone worthy falls to their spot.

7. westiedog1

It's kind of like having your cake and eating it too. If they're not giving up on Hackenberg, then why should the Jets expend a high draft choice on another QB next year. The only reason I see for doing that is they think the draft choice is clearly better than Hackenberg. Otherwise, as the original poster NYJFOREVER suggests, they should use that pick to bolster other positions.

8. westiedog1

Sorry, don't know how else to interpret this post other than playing a season for draft position.

9. But does it really need to be that cut & dry? Sure in a perfect world it is. Either Hack sets the world on fire or is still looking for the ocean after starting a handful of games.

There's a very good chance heading into the next off season that there is gray area concerning Hack. That's not to say that there is a right or wrong answer as to how to to proceed. But look at the chargers w. Philiip Rivers & they already had Brees w. some "Gray Area" heading into that draft. When you factor in the pressure surrounding the position within the fan base & beyond..It's wise to tread lightly.The fact that the next QB draft appears so rich..further complicates things.It may take "hedging our bet" to ensure solving the enigma. If that's the case we trade the lesser of the 2 after the real starter steps up in a season or 2.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Guy, it isn't rocket science. They're still playing hard, doing the best they can, trying to win games, but don't simply because they don't have the talent that other teams do, their weaknesses outweigh their strengths, and their CS (especially the DC and HC) are highly suspect.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. westiedog1

So if they are playing hard, trying to win, we shouldn't root for them to win?

CONN-JET.2.0.3. likes this.
  12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg ended up showing some talent and proving he is worth keeping, we'd end up with maybe 3-5 wins, which still results in a top 10 pick. Our team is not very good so I can see us losing a lot of ball games even if Hackenberg shows us he's worthy.

13. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

YOUPLAY

TOWIN

THEGAME

JetLifeLo likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

You can root for them to win, but if they do this season, it could be very counterproductive, both in terms of finding/getting the FQB they need and in continuing the rebuild. If they overachieve, it would be very easy for Woody or Mac to say to scrap the rebuild/youth movement and go back to the same BS competitive rebuild that they've been doing for 20 years. Since we know that the Jets will never win consistently, get to, or win a SB without a very good starting QB, it's in our best interest to find one this year or next. Ideally, Hack or Petty prove to be that guy, but if not, then we really need to get him in the draft next year. If they're having to get him in the draft next year, then it would be a lot better for the team if they're drafting in the top 3, preferably the top spot to insure that they get that QB. One can't always trade up, even if one is willing to give up a ton to move up. Even if one can trade up, if one has to give up multiple #1 picks and other 2nd and/or 3rd round picks, it leaves the cupboard bare at other positions, so that team still often doesn't get to or win a SB.

The ideal situation for the Jets would be for them to discover that Hack or Petty are that guy this year, for the young players to develop, play hard, but lose all but 1-3 of their games. In that way, they'd have their QB, and would have the high draft position they need to finally get that stud pass rusher they need and/or to get their next LT or stud RB or #1 WR.

Conversely, winning 5-7 games this season and Hack or Petty not proving to be the guy, would be an unmitigated disaster. It would leave us with no chance to get a franchise QB in next year's draft, and have us stuck in continued mediocrity.

Peebag likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

If you don't have a quality QB, you aren't gonna win many games. If they Jets have to continue to trot JAGs at QB, they might as well fold the franchise, because they'll never win many games, much less have a chance of getting to or winning a SB. If Hack or Petty don't prove that they are the Jets' FQB, then we need to get one in the draft next year if we are to have any hopes of having a team that's worth a damn any time in the next 5-10 years.

Also, if we don't get that QB, we'll be starting all over with a new GM, a new scouting dept., and a new CS. This team needs stability. You don't get that stability with mediocrity and with continual turnover at the QB position, CS, scouting dept., and GM.

16. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I was on the "hope we suck bad record wise but show some promise" side.. but I just can't ROOT for us to LOSE.. even when I try it doesn't feel right..

I want to see us compete.. NOW! I wanna see everything the OP said