As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It will take some time to fix the offense - that's a given.

With a LB coach with track record of success on board, it's time to see if the two kids we have are of any use. If they are half as good as I think they should have been, then this defense should in business.

Thus - this is all I want to see this year.

Offense WILL suck. Regardless of whether Petty or Hack has a future here as the face of the franchise. This offense will suck this year.

But the defense doesn't have as many question marks. If the defense plays up to its billings, then I'll call this season a success. This secondary is going to need a lot of help from this front seven, if anything. [I see that CBs are pretty young and inexperienced - let's see what that girl can do. And Bowles can do for that matter.]

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I have hopes that the jets won't be AS bad and it mainly stems from a defense that I think will improve WAY better then last year.

For one, Mo Wilk has had an off season to get stronger and better as opposed to rehabbing off his broken leg. Big cat will continue to be the best player likely on this defense and Sheldon is in a contract year. I see the defensive line being one of the best units in the league.

The LB'S as a result will improve. Darron Lee will settle in as the Mike, and the guy who will show his athleticism and playmaking ability playing behind a defensive line that will cause him to wreck havoc. I'm not too keen on the pass rush from the LB spot but I feel Mauldin will have moderate success. I still think it will take one of the more unheralded LB's to make their mark as the top pass rusher st the LB goes.

And the secondary. Listen it can't get worse! Adams is a super rangy safety that can do it all. He will have growing pains but he's gonna be a star, Eric Berry, Earl Thomas type impact. Burris showed promise and I actually liked Roberts enough that he has a spot on this team. I do think one of the late rounder corners (maybe Jones the kid from michigan) could be a starter because they played a pro style defense in Ann arbor, and he was a physical press corner.

I am less bullish on the offense because the QB position. I do feel Hack will improve enough that he will lead the Jets to believe that he's the future. But they will need to stick with a young core, but more importantly find a young RB to join alongside Hack and a nice receiving corps.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen anyone say that they wanted to "suck Sam." I have, however, seen several who have said that they want to "suck for Sam." :p;) LOL

Pags2112 and LAJet like this.
  4. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

typical jerk off douchbag who thinks he's a real fan, u don't know shit , offense will be in the middle of the pack this year, defense will be top 10, stop staying what all the reporters are saying cuz they need something to write, get a clue about the team u say ur a fan of dick face, I bet u cant even name half the players on this team, go root for another team, OFFENSE WILL BE MIDDLE OF THE PACK THIS YEAR, DEFENSE TOP 10

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Wha... where did this bullshit come from?

Shove it up your ass, son.

BleedingGreen55 likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You don't need to come in here with your near illiterate post, calling people names just because you disagree with them and then making outrageous claims you do nothing to support.

If you have a point worth making make it using conventional English and back up what you have to say with facts or reasoned opinion. Tell us how the offense will change enough to get scoring into the realm of mediocrity and please tell us what changes will get the defense from 27th worst in points allowed up to the top ten in the league.

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

westiedog1 and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

LOL. You old sneaky devil you.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

LOL NCJ! Glad you got the pun LMAO.

10. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If Hackenberg shows he's worth keeping and we suck, we end up with a best case scenario. We'd end up with a top pick that we could use on a pass rusher, LT, or trade it for multiple first round picks and really get this team moving.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is what everyone should be rooting for. Hoping,right now,that the team sucks so we can get some qb next year is like buying a lotto ticket but hoping the jackpot rolls over. Me personally, I like to check my ticket before I hope no one else one.

13. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

uhmm....no.

14. This is a place where differing opinions are welcomed & embraced. It'd be pretty boring if we all saw the crappy team in the exact same light,No?

westiedog1 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I don't see how you separate these two. If Hackenberg shows anything, he should win a few games based on his ability alone, especially if the defense plays up to it's capability. If the Jets go 0-16 or 1-15, I don't see how one can evaluate his performance in a positive light.

16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It's a small gap to shoot, for sure, but it is possible, the secondary is young and still questionable at best, lbs too.
    No guarantee the d will be the strong unit this year

westiedog1 likes this.
  17. You make a good point.

But let's not forget Troy Aikman & Peyton Manning's debut seasons. Granted Hack's path is alittle different so it is not apples to apples. But the fact remains..Not all 1-15 seasons are created equal

NCJetsfan and westiedog1 like this.
  18. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

You also have a good point. Also, Marriotta's first season was 3-13, which is pretty bad. However, the difference is draft position. All these guys were taken at the very top of the draft, and as such, there is considerable financial commitment by the teams that drafted them. No such commitment for Hackenberg. If he goes 1-15, and you're the Jets brass, do you stay with him or draft a QB (in a QB rich draft) next year?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! It's such a simple, and straightforward truth. It amazes me that some Jets fans can't seem to grasp it. They rather win 5-6 games just so they get to root for some victories or aren't embarrassed. I guess they expect the football fairy to then give miraculously and magically give us a FQB in the middle of the 6th or 7th round.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Hack doesn't look GOOD next year the Jets are going to draft a QB if they have the opportunity.

I keep seeing witers say that if he flashes ability that will be enough to keep the Jets from drafting a QB and every time I see somebody write that I think "man that guy is clueless."

The Jets are going to have a franchise QB prospect going into 2018 and no amount of flashing equals franchise QB. He's either GOOD or he's going to see somebody likely to be good drafted ahead of him on the depth chart.

KurtTheJetsFan and westiedog1 like this.