As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

• "THE YOUTH MOVEMENT".
    Jamal Adams. 21.
    Jalin Marshall. 21.
    Christian Hackenberg. 22.
    Darron Lee. 22.
    Leonard Williams. 22.
    Jordan Jenkins. 22.
    Jordan Leggett. 22.
    Chad Hansen. 22.
    Juston Burris. 23.
    ArDarius Stewart. 23.
    Charone Peak. 24.
    Seferian-Jenkins. 24.
    Quincy Enunwa. 24.
    Robby Anderson. 24.
    Calvin Pryor. 24.
    Lorenzo Mauldin. 24.
    Marcus Maye. 24.
    Bryce Petty. 25.
    Brian Winters. 25.
    Brandon Shell. 25.

Just to name a few. All 25 years of age or younger and imo every single one of these youngsters will either be competing for starting roles or lots of playing time.

When thinking about it I can't remember/recall the last time in which we've featured a roster made up of this much youth and inexperience. Which is why from a fans point of view, i now have a completely different outlook/approach to the 2017 season.

To me it's not about overall team wins and loses but instead, player development. As a fan I just want to know a lot more about the future of this Jets team (come this time next year) while heading into 2018. And i believe that we'll have a lot of opportunity to learn a lot more in regards to 90% of these younger players mentioned above throughout 2017's season.

I'm ready for this youth movement.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Then you don't remember 2013. I try to forget too.

Brian Winters, 22
    Dee Milliner, 22
    Stephen Hill, 22
    Geno Smith, 23
    Sheldon Richardson, 23
    Ryan Quigley, 23
    Saalim Hakim, 23
    Quinton Coples, 23
    Tommy Bohanon, 23
    Muhammad Wilkerson, 24
    Zach Sudfeld, 24
    Jaiquawn Jarrett, 24
    Demario Davis, 24
    Darrin Walls, 25
    Greg Salas, 25
    Bilal Powell, 25
    Rontez Miles, 25
    Jeremy Kerley, 25
    Chris Ivory, 25
    Damon Harrison, 25
    Antonio Allen, 25

3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

That group is vastly inferior to the 2017 model. The good part is that the better players of that group remain on this team to contribute.

A positive is also that we have all our draft picks intact and the fact that this regime can find contributors in late rounds, of course this draft class remains to hit the field. The negative is how bad the 2014 draft effected this team. 12 draft picks practically down the drain and how disgusting were rounds 3-4.

No late round contributors besides Quincy Enunwa, Antonio Allen, Trevor Reilly, and Timmy Bohanon have been drafted from 2012-2014. That's really bad drafting where only 4 of 17 players selected after round 3 made contributions and you can argue the contributions of some of those players. We have drafted 27 total prospects in that span.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can't know that because with the exception of Leonard Williams, the 2017 group hasn't done anything notable yet. Essentially you're comparing apples (the end result of the 2013 group) to oranges (your high expectations for the 2017 group). Since we don't know the end result of the 2017 group, the only apples to apples comparison is fan expectations for 2017 versus fan expectations for 2013 in 2013. And back in 2013, there were high expectations for many players who turned out to be busts (Geno, Stephen Hill, etc); if anything, expectations were higher in 2013 because the AFC championship games were still fresh in our heads. In the end, the 2017 group will probably do better than the 2013 group but I say that not out of excitement for 2017 but because the 2013 group ended up being so bad.

#104 HomeoftheJets, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  5. Pags2112

As you posted, comparing the pre 2013-2014 season to the pre 2017-2018 season is apples to apples in your eyes, and that's what I used for my opinion along with concentrating on the players mentioned in the post. For me personally, championship expectations do not influence on paper evaluations. I'm looking at each player, and who they were/are at that stage in their careers. When you compare the two you see the difference in production up to that point in their careers. The 2017 model is younger with more NFL game experience with the other group also having three times the number of UDFA's. The rest of the 2017-2018 team, so far, also has 1/4 the amount of players over the age of 28 then the other team being compared to, also with more homegrown players. I think the process in getting younger was handled far better by this regime. Your correct in that we don't know about the 2017 draftees, but, the same could be said about the 2013 draft class at that point in time. That is why I used the careers of the other listed players up to that point. I personally think the 2017 class will at least match the success had by the 2013 draft class in their rookie years.

Jamal Adams. 21. - 1st round pick
    Jalin Marshall. 21. - 14Rec, 162Yds, 2TD
    Christian Hackenberg. - 22. No 2016 stats
    Darron Lee. 22. - 73 Taks, 1 saks
    Leonard Williams. 22. - 36 Taks, 7 Saks
    Jordan Jenkins. 22. - 22 Taks, 2.5 Saks
    Jordan Leggett. 22. - 5th round pick
    Chad Hansen. 22. - 4th round pick
    Juston Burris. 23. - 9 Taks, 1 INT, 5 PD
    ArDarius Stewart. 23. - 3rd round pick
    Charone Peak. 24. - 19 Rec, 185 Yds
    Seferian-Jenkins. 24. - 10 Rec, 110 Yds
    Quincy Enunwa. 24. 58 Rec, 857 Yds, 4TD
    Robby Anderson. 24.- 42 Rec, 587 Yds, 2TD
    Calvin Pryor. 24. - 43 Taks , 6 Pd, 1 FF
    Lorenzo Mauldin. 24. - 7 Taks, 2.5 Saks, 1 IN
    Marcus Maye. 24. - 2nd round pick
    Bryce Petty. 25. - 3 TD, 7 INT
    Brian Winters. 25 - 13 G, 13 GS
    Brandon Shell. 25 - 8 G, 3 Gs

VS.

Brian Winters, 22 - 3rd round pick
    Dee Milliner, 22 - 1st round pick
    Stephen Hill, 22 - 21 Rec, 252YDs, 3TD
    Geno Smith, 23 - 2nd round pick
    Sheldon Richardson, 23 - 1st round pick
    Ryan Quigley, 23 - punter UDFA
    Saalim Hakim, 23 - UDFA-Canadian Football
    Quinton Coples, 23 1st round pick
    Tommy Bohanon, 23 -7th round pick
    Muhammad Wilkerson, 24 - 5 Saks, 36 Taks
    Zach Sudfeld, 24 - UDFA
    Jaiquawn Jarrett, 24 - No 2012 stats
    Demario Davis, 24 - 22 Taks
    Darrin Walls, 25 - 1 taks, 1 pd
    Greg Salas, 25 - practice squad
    Bilal Powell, 25 - 110 R, 437 Yds 4TD
    Rontez Miles, 25 - UDFA
    Jeremy Kerley, 25 - 56 Rec, 827Yds, 2TD
    Chris Ivory, 25 - 40R, 217Yds, 2TD
    Damon Harrison, 25 UDFA no 2012 stats
    Antonio Allen, 25 - 6 Taks, 1Sack

The 2018 Model will be even younger if they adhere to the current trend, as players such as Decker, McClendon and Harris will be replaced by younger players. Gone are the days of signing players over 28 *well, hopefully unless otherwise needed*, and players such as Wilkerson will be the oldest players on the team, and will be homegrown players. 2017 will bring experience to the Jets young players and IMO, would make the 2018-2019 model hands down superior to the 2013-2014 model, even more so then the 2017 model.

#105 Pags2112, May 29, 2017
  6. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

As a fan of the Jets for 27 years which by no means holds a candle to some of the more long enduring fans. I feel like its a hard thing to just sit and watch the Jets lose this year and tank the season in order to get a good QB. To me #1 is you don't know if Sam Darnold is even a legit QB they are just going off of 1 year of football play. College football can be misleading and make you feel a QB is greater than what they really are. Not doubting Sams skills but this is just the reality and we have seen this year after year even at a #1 pick.

#2 is any other pick than the #1 pick will not guarantee us getting Sam next year. Saying that means we have to endure a long season of losing and I can remember back to the 1-15 season and that was tough. You think we are the butt of jokes now it would only get worse where we would be hanging our head in conversation about the Jets. I also can't see a competitor and athlete coming into a game saying we are going to lose this game to make our future better. The NFL is not promised to anyone, with injury or trades any of the numerous infractions that take place in a season, your spot is not guaranteed on the team. So what loyalty would a player have to follow the plan when they are trying to showcase their skills and play making abilities to another team if things don't fall their way?

My theory is continue drafting great players that contribute and let them grow if we are truly in rebuild mode. I think its more than a QB that will make this franchise to thrive. It all comes down to will these players buy into the system and can the coach continually make progress towards the final mission of winning a Superbowl. Last but not least is I feel with all the money that these season ticket holders put out for the rights to own their seats and then gives them the right to purchase season tickets every season would be right to them. Put the best team on the field and compete every game and if we lose then so be it least we never gave a team a win.

7. DefenseWinsChampionships

I won't make any offseason predictions because i truthfully have no idea how our offense will look. I'm lost on that side of the ball. Although very anxious to see Hackenberg take the field while being surrounded by a lot of other young talent

But the reason i won't talk doom & gloom is because of our defenses. We really do have some chess pieces on that side of the ball.

Williams is our Queen. He's deadly. And dominant.

I would consider Mo as our defensive king. We have to protect Wilkerson with a beastly defensive front. We need Wilk to re-deem himself here in 2017 (last year comimg off a leg injury). I'm expecting the real 96 to return to form.

I consider Richardson & Darron Lee as our two Rooks. Imporant pieces. Lee led the team in tackles as a rookie last year before getting banged up. This kid is talented. Behind this D-Line? He can make plays. Richardson on a contract year while no longer trying OLB? He can impact.

Then we have our bishops in David Harris and Morris Claiborne. To me. Health is key for both players. Harris is aging & Claiborne is injury prone. But when healthy these two players are winning pieces.

I'm considering Mauldin & Jenkins as our two Knights. I'm anxious to see how Mauldin as a 3rd year player along with Jenkins as a 2nd year player look together. As OLB's. While being coached up by Greene. An improved pass rush and these two pieces become key.

Then we have our coaching staff being led by Bowles and others. I consider them to be our pawns. Their job. Is to put our pieces (players) in best position possible.

With that said what I'm most looking forward to are Jamal Adams & Marcus Maye. Two SEC Safetys out of LSU & Florida. Two vocal leaders. Aggressive/smart players. I look for these two kids to bring us a culture change.

If this Defense comes together during year #3 under Bowles. Then this team can compete. I believe our 2017 team will go as far as our defense can take them and hopefully younger offensive players are ready for the ride

Pags2112 likes this.
  8. Pags2112

I've grown tired of all the sucking for Sam BS. The Jets have to go out and win as many games as possible. This young team needs to taste victory and want more of it as they develop an identity. Anything can happen as we have seen bad teams turn it around in a season like the 2013 Chiefs. If it all clicks, it all clicks. I also think the Jet defense can carry the team and keep games competitive, especially if they can create turnovers. The addition of some fresh playmakers may cause a spark. If this new WCO can move the ball and sustain clock draining drives as it's designed and intended to do, it will help keep the D from tiring out early.

#108 Pags2112, May 29, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm not a "suck for Sam" guy myself neither. Although i do understand where fans are coming from whom do. It's been long time comimg to say the least in regards to having a FQB to build around.

Myself. Personally. I want Hackenberg to emerge onto the scene as a franchise hopeful. As a 2nd year player i wanna see flashes out of Hackenberg.

This kid (at the age of only 22) has two things in which you can not coach. Size & arm strength. Well you can coach it but you can not teach it. He's got great size at 6'4/228 (think Tom Brady) along with a down right cannon for an arm (think Cutler/Stafford).

He's also a brain @ the QB position.

I just want this kid Hackenberg to show promise alongside of younger players such as Enunwa, Robby, Peake, Stewart, Leggett & possibly Jalin. Or the opportunity to work with vets such as Powell & especially Decker/Forte. I'm just anxious to see this kid take the field.

Sanchez was thrown into the fire as a rookie. Upper management told Geno to sink or swim during his rookie season. Hackenberg, like Pennington; is being groomed & developed. I believe in this approach.

I can't help it. I want to see Hackenberg flash while younger players make plays down field. I want to see a rejuvinated, re-vamped & focused defense under Bowles during year #3.

Training camp can't get here soon enough.

Imagesrdecieving and Pags2112 like this.
  10. Pags2112

I feel the same way and I also do understand those that want to Suck Sam. While those are dreading watching this upcoming season, I'm as excited or more than recent seasons. I too want to see Hackenberg show flashes, enough for the FO to stick with him through his development. Enough flashes to use that first round pick in some other way that can help this team. If Hackenberg performs well enough and over the course of the next few seasons develops into a steady QB, he doesn't have to be Pro Bowl Level, this franchise will be in one of the best positions it's ever been. A young hungry upcoming team with a core that can be built around for years. I'm liking where things are going and want to see the progress over the course of the 2017 season, especially considering all the vets will be gone in 2018. We will actually have a team comprised of mostly homegrown talent!

11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Have to disagree. Hackenberg has to show he is better than good enough, otherwise the Jets should keep drafting QBs. Good enough means continuing to wallow in mediocrity as in the past. If he's only good enough, then you have to make sure the surrounding cast is better than average every year he's the QB. That's a tough task in the age of free agency. When you have QB's like Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rogers, Ryan, etc., you can afford to lose a good player to FA and still have confidence your team will have a winning record. We saw what happened to Sanchez when they allowed a lot of good players to walk in his third year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is why I think the Jets should've drafted Mahomes this year. All those who said to "wait until next year when there will be much better QBs available" seem to have ignored what it will take in terms of losing to get one these assumed gems. Sure, I too hope Hack proves to be the FQB they apparently thought he is when they took him in the 2nd round, but why not hedge that bet? Of course, it's water under the bridge at this point, and we long-starved Jets fans will have to continue to hope that Macc knows what he's doing.

13. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The reason to not hedge the bet is that if Hack shows he has enough talent to be the guy - a top pick can turn into a franchise LT or rush lb'er. Those two positions are almost as important as QB.

So the hope is that Hack shows enough flashes to believe - but the team is bad enough to strike gold at another position of extreme value.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pags2112 likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

His list has 8 guys that are 21 or 22 and 3 guys that are 25. Your list has 3 guys that are 22 and 8 guys that are 25.

Kiddie corps this year, average to slightly older than average group in 2013. Most of your picks should be 21 or 22.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Bingo, it isn't all about picking up a brand new QB after a losing season, no QB was number 1 pick this season and I think most of us would have liked him at the Jets.

Hey even a number 1 pick and traded down for a few extra picks wouldn't be so bad, somebody may even be more desperate than us for a QB and be willing to trade their future away.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I get the feeling that most football fans feel as if or believe that "you need the #1 draft pick" in order to land a true franchise QB (or at least a top 5 pick) due to current Franchise QB's such as...

Carson Palmer. 1st overall.
    Eli Manning. 1st overall.
    Matthew Stafford. 1st overall.
    Andrew Luck. 1st overall.
    Cam Newton. 1st overall.
    Jameis Winston. 1st overall.
    Marcus Mariota. 2nd overall.
    Carson Wentz. 2nd overall.
    Matt Ryan. 3rd overall.
    Philip Rivers. 4th overall.

But deep down inside I believe that it's all about drafting a kid with talent, developing him, coaching him up, tapping into untapped potential, surrounding him with talents in whom play to his overall strengths and most importantly; patience to see them evolve.

Ben Roethlisberger. Round 1. 11th overall.
    Joe Flacco Round 1. 18th overall.
    Aaron Rodgers. Round 1. 24th overall.
    Drew Brees. Round 2. 32nd overall.
    Andy Dalton. Round 2. 35th overall.
    Derek Carr. Round 2. 36th overall.
    Russell Wilson. Round 3. 75th overall.
    Kirk Cousins. Round 4. 102nd overall.
    Dak Prescott. Round 4. 135th overall.
    Tom Brady. 6th round. 199th overall.

I personally love Hackenberg as a young 22 years of age type of 2nd round prospect. I just don't have it in me to "suck for Sam. Suck for Luck" etc. I want Hackenberg to take off and never look back.

There are also too many young talented players on this roster right now. For me to root against. I want to see these kids compete and make plays out there. I can't hope for them to play losing football, finish 1-15 and look bad while doing so (in order to land a current college QB).

TonyFtLaud and Pags2112 like this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. This 2017 roster is a lot more younger when compared to 2013's.

Which is why i couldn't care less about overall team wins and loses but instead; individual player performance and evaluation heading into 2018's offseason and draft is what I'll be focused on.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I share your disillusionment with the NFL. I rarely watch non- Jet NFL games anymore. They bore me. On Thursday I'll watch a MAC college game rather than an NFL game. Last year I watched more CFL games than NFL. If this fantasy craze ever declines, the NFL is going to have a big problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. The other thing to like about this group is many of them not only already have NFL experience but also have had time behind the scenes to develop be it weight room,class room,reps, etc.

Even if all of the youngsters don't end up starters if some are at least productive role players rather than complete castoffs It's something to build around.As already indicated, another off season w. a similar philosophy assuming many of the names above don't completely fall off, we could really have something.

20. Nice work.

Good news is there are actually a few more names that could be included. not even counting the omitted recent draft picks
    Lawrence Thomas.24
    Ronald Martin 24
    Doug Middleton 23
    Lachlan Edwards 25