As a fan i have a completely different outlook on the 2017 season.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, May 12, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This is the dilemma that most Jets fans are going to be in this year: we all want them to win, but in this situation "losing is winning", and that's going to be really hard to swallow. The very best case I can imagine is that they go about 2-14, but are in almost every game, while everyone shows improvement - especially the HC. But in reality, this isn't likely to happen. What's most likely is that they actually win 5-6 games, and show a lot of erratic play such that evaluating anyone will be difficult so that as they head into the 2018 draft, not only will they again have a mediocre pick, they won't have any clear idea of who to pick (assuming they're out of top QB range).

I am NOT looking forward to this season.

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That guy's arm needs to be 10 times longer.

3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

So, I guess we're supposed to go through this coming season rooting for them to lose and sad when they win? Not me. I will root for them to win every game, even though I know they probably won't. The idea that you play a season for a high draft pick is the antithesis of what sports is about. As a famous coach once said: "you play to win the game." If you want a top draft pick in 2018, you trade up to get it. That's the only way to be sure.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you not understand why people are wanting us to have 1-15 season ?

We have done nothing for years and need to reset the franchise and have it rebuilt, we are not going to get it rebuilt by going 5+ wins and we all know that we are not going 12+ wins, so anything in between is utterly pointless and unhelpful towards a possible bright future.

So you can root toot toot all you want but all that will achieve is another season of mediocre nothingness leading to another and another and another etc etc

We need rebuilt from the ground up the best way to do this is to have plenty of chances at the top of the draft, we could trade up for them but wtf with ?

Nah best to just crash and burn and hope Hack still shows enough about him to continue and then in 3 seasons time we could maybe be ready for a run at the playoffs, maybe.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Hypothetically speaking what if NY ends up with the worst record along with the #1 draft pick, but then a West Coast kid in Sam decides to stay in school with USC for another year; due to not wanting to play for an East Coast N.Y franchise in which has failed to produce a Franchise QB dating back to Joe Namath?

With that said i just wanna see Hackenberg impress. I'll be pulling hard for Hackenberg to flash signs of a Franchise caliber QB. He's big with great size. Has a cannon for an arm. Very smart upstairs with a very high football I.Q in regards to the QB position. Etc.

During his Freshman season with PSU this kid was put through Bill O'Brien's QB ringer. Calling plays at the L.O.S. Using audibles in order to get in & out of plays. Reading defenses pre-snap. Changing offensive line protection etc.

Hackenberg looked really good as a Freshman within a pro-style offense under Bill O'Brien. He had success with A. Robinson as his true #1 WR as well. After Hackenberg's Freshman season with Penn State he was considered as the #1 QB prospect within the Nation.

I just wanna see what this kid has inside as our opening day starter. If his accuracy is bad to the point where he can't find an ocean and/or hit the backside of a barn? O.k. It's back to the drawing board.

But i just can't sit back & quit on a kid drafted during the 2nd round last year (before first seeing him in live action).

Accuracy seems to be his biggest question mark but this kid looks to have great size, a strong arm along with a high I.Q of the position etc. I wanna see how he looks with Decker and a bunch talented young receivers before writing him off as a bust.

I just don't understand the fans who are knocking Hackenberg's potential due to him "not playing last year". N.Y had 3 other QB's in Fitzpatrick, Geno & Petty to throw into the fire on a losing team. There was no need to also feed a rookie QB to the wolves under last years circumstances. The kid was beat up behind PSU's offensive line and if anything, being able to red-shirt as an NFL rookie could've been a blessing in disguise for a kid like Hackenberg and I'm pretty sure that was Mac's plan throughout the entire process. 2017 is what we'll see what Hackenberg truly has within himself. I for one am ready.

6. westiedog1

Oh, I understand, just think it's the wrong approach. Your key word is "maybe." You don't sound very confident. There are so many caveats. There's no guarantee they'll go 1-15. Besides that, there is an assumption that this FO knows how to manage a rebuilding team. What is Maccagnan's record rebuilding teams? Has he ever done it? He didn't exactly come from a winning organization. There's also an assumption that Bowles knows how to coach a team that's rebuilding. Has he ever done it? He was hired to coach a veteran team. All this leads up to the 2018 draft, and assuming the Jets do get a high draft pick, will they chose the right QB of the many highly touted ones available? Seems to me that a lot of eggs are being put in one basket for "maybe."

7. K'OB

All fair enough assumptions but it still doesn't alter the fact that 5-9 wins is an utter disaster for us in the long term, you can't really say oh we can't do a rebuild because the FO and coach are not up to the task or have never been part of a rebuild, hell the Jets have never been part of a rebuild lol.

No I am not confident, why would I be, I am a Jets fan after all.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  8. K'OB

Because I am not arsed if they pick a QB at number 1 next season, I favour trading down for multiple picks to build a squad, I have an insane hope that Hack can hack it.

I agree fully with the rest of summation but out of interest how is my namesake not classed as a franchise QB, he was successful and played for the Jets for years or is it something I am not fully understanding of the term franchise QB ?

9. westiedog1

LOL, I get it. Don't feel it's a disaster though. You can always trade up. Going thin in the draft for a year or two isn't a big price to pay if you get that FQB.

FJF likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree regarding Richardson, and I can't say that I blame them. He thinks that he is better than he is, and probably still will want big bucks. I think he is a negative influence in the locker room, and IMO that's the last thing one needs on a young, rebuilding team. I hope they can trade him for a conditional pick next season.

With regards to the CB position I'm not so sure that it is weak. It certainly could be, especially if Claiborne goes down with an injury, but he's pretty good. Burris showed some promise last season, Williams has played well at times, and Skrine is better in the slot, where he should play this season. Having two ball-hawking safeties should help the CBs, and if Greene can help the OLB to generate more pressure on opposing QBs, then they may be decent this season. That's not considering the other CBs who could make contributions, but I'm not counting on a lot from the rest of them. Of course, if the OLBs and DL can't generate any better pressure than last year, all bets are off. Any knowledgeable fan should certainly be patient with our two safeties, but undoubtedly, someone will complain if they don't both play like HOFers right out of the gate.

#50 NCJetsfan, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    egelband, K'OB and westiedog1 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO there's a number of good to great possible outcomes the Jets could have this season. There's no doubt that the best thing that could possibly happen concerning the QB position is for both Hack or Petty to play very well and to show that each of them are franchise-caliber QBs, yet, the Jets not win many games, have a top 3 pick, and then be able to trade down, get several high draft picks, and be able to draft both their future LT and a stud pass rusher in next year's draft. That would be too much to expect or hope for with any teams, but especially the Jets.

If just one of Hack or Petty can develop and show that he can be a quality starter, and if nothing else, the Jets be able to get either their new LT or a stud pass rusher in the draft next year, I'll be very happy. Any thing above that will be gravy.

IMO the worst possible outcome would be for the Jets to win 5-8 games, both Petty and Hack to show that neither is the answer at QB going forward, and several of their young players not pan out or wind up getting injured.

nicg4360, egelband and K'OB like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Darnold is clearly the best QB and stays in school then all the other A-possible candidates will flood out to get away from him being in the 2019 draft.

It's really a win-win for the team picking #1 and if Darnold doesn't come out for the teams picking in the top 5 or so.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

This year, from a fans eye view, I'm not putting any pressure on this team. I just wanna see how these players look once they take the field.

Last year i had my hopes up due the season before. Last season Fitzpatrick ruined our season before it started. And it made me sick. I became a sore loser out of frustration. As i watched Fitzpatrick throw games away, i became sick of the fact that our front office gave him a contract. He should've never been allowed in a Jets facility after the ways he threw Buffalo's week of 17 game. And for Fitzpatrick to play as poorly as he played, after holding out as if he were a top 10 QB... his inability to throw deep due to weak arm strength literally ruined my season as a fan. It made me ill to see him under center.

This year it's a different feeling. Excited go with a youth movement under center.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  14. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

that's the problem with douchbags like you who call yourself jet fans and don't have a fucking clue, Hack has the brain and the arm to succeed in the nfl , his freshmen year was great at penn state, his o-lines were garbage his sophomore and junior years, you have to give him a chance from the get go, u cant start mcCown and go 2-5 then put Hack in , the team would quit on the season by then and not give a shit and it would hurt Hack's chances even more, u have to start him from the beginning, see what u have in him and let it roll from there, then you'll know if u need to draft a qb next year , and anyone who thinks this defense will be anywhere near as bad as last year is out of their fucking mind, big improvement this year, it will be a top 12 D , which is a big improvement , we have a solid O-line this year with some good weapons for him to succeed, just have to give him the chance from the start, and plus the fact that the front office wants him to win the job and I believe he will

Pags2112, nicg4360 and egelband like this.
  15. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

The Jets, like all NFL teams, have s lot of talent. It's gonna come down to QB and coaching, in the end. Just my opinion. Fingers crossed on both. I think both Petty and Hackenberg have decent shots to be good. I hope TB and co. can get better too.

16. stevejets38

stevejets38 Active Member

they already know what they have in Petty , he's just a back-up and nothing more

Yankjetfan likes this.
  17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think something else that needs to be considered is if we tank and quit halfway during the season (or from the very beginning) what does that do for developing rookies? That impacts their progress and confidence.
    Additionally I seem to remember that this offseason was pretty hard for Mac to even have some quality FA come to even talk. He even offered some more than other teams and they balked at his offer. This was all after a 5-11 season. We are all excited about having this what 60 mill in cap space but who will we spend it on? No true quality FA even wanted to come here. Just imagine the FA we will attract after having a 2-14 season. If we actually show an effort and play every game with passion hopefully that will help our cause for FA to consider the Jets. Cleveland had a terrible record but was fun to watch and stayed in a lot of games even with their poor talent. They were able to attract some talent in the offseason. I don't know if that would be the case if they were blown out every other game with a team who could care less.

18. K'OB

Interesting but I don't think I read many people talking of the team quitting, it seems to me that those that want us to be 2-14 also want us to be competing and with Hack and the rookies getting plenty of quality minutes of experience into them, a far cry from last season when half the team spent it at the beach rather than on the pitch.

Of course for those fans that would be an ideal scenario, competitive football but ultimately just coming up short and moving on to phase two in 2018 with a good selection of top end picks in the bag.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I just feel if the current roster plays with passion and effort that will earn us some wins that otherwise would not have been the case. We don't have a good roster but we have a roster that is better than most give it credit for. If this team gels well a 4- 6 win season is not out of the question possibly more. That will not go over well with alot of this fanbase.

All I'm saying is for a 1-2 win season this team will have to try and lose.

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Heres a clue: 2018 is a year we will get a good QB

Whos says Hack cant start? Be my guest..

Not as sanguine as yourself for him to succeed imo

All the wide receivers we acquired may just be a part of our rebuild and not purposely for CH

A top 12 Defense? A solid O Line ?

We drafted 2 safeties and now we are one of the best?

The O Line needs alot of work and Mac never addressed this in the draft..I am glad you like the D so much..you will be seeing alot of them every game

Please buy yourself some glasses.. It sounds you are the clueless one Junior

westiedog1 likes this.