Article: Saquon Barkley would like to play for the Jets, the team he grew up rooting for

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NoodleArm, Feb 23, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I appreciate the acknowledgement that while we often agree, when we disagree we've been respectful. That's all I really ask. I try not to present myself as a know it all, with a completely closed mind to other POVs. Yes, I will argue my opinion fully, but I try to do so respectfully, and always with the possibility that the other person may actually have a valid opposite point, or even - OMG! - be right.:p I post and read here because it's a great place to learn, even if sometimes the "teachers" are harsh. I like to believe that I've provided some food for thought for others as well. I always appreciate your insights, even if we don't always agree.

As to that, I'm of the belief that when a potential FQB is there, you grab him, BUT...as you pointed out, you need to have the system and coaching in place to develop him and turn him into that FQB. I think you nailed it with:

"FQB's aren't drafted, they are produced within a system that is already in place."

And as desperately as I want the Jets to get Joe Willie II, with there current CS and from what I can see, no good system in place, there is a high probability for failure of any QB drafted. That said, if a guy like Barkley wasn't available, I would still push to take the best QB you can with the hope that Bowles will soon be gone, while the QB will still be around and young enough to realize his potential. In fact, if they can get Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold, that's still my preference. This is where we differ. If the QB you draft is widely considered to be a stud - and the majority consensus is that those three are studs - and the CS fails to have success with them, it will be the CS that's fired. And the odds are that the next HC hired will be based upon how good a fit he is with the QB. I admit it's a bit of the "Tail wagging the dog", but it's because we have the situation we have with Bowles already in place. And there is a SLIM chance the the QB actually rises above Bowles limitations and succeeds anyway.

In the end, as I've said, going the Barkley route may be a safer approach, and I wouldn't be upset if they did that because he sure would be exciting to watch! And while I'm not on the Cousins bandwagon, if the Jets get him, it should be a no-brainer for them to do whatever it takes to get Barkley.