Around the League--Holy cow--Week 14?!?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by JStokes, Dec 10, 2015.

1. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Wow I can't believe they didn't just kick the FG on third down. You have no timeout, you can't risk a play inbounds on third down.

2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Been happening all year. He got killed last week.

And there it is, no protection and a blind side hit.

_

3. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Yea.. I actually looked down and missed it cuz I just thought the FG unit was comin on. What would it have been, a 50 yarder?

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll continue to make flippant remarks about this win for years.

Because, well, I tole you.

This is a memorable day in my history.

Jonathan_Vilma and RuJFan like this.
  5. JStokes

Gotta call a smarter play there.

3 step drop and throw it to the sideline to gain 5-6 yards.

_

6. NYJFan10

Just under 50 but it's not like Blair Walsh can't hit that.

There was literally nothing to be gained other than a few yards and with thirteen seconds and no timeouts everyone and Arians' grandmother knows you can only throw to the sidelines there.

7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Or the endzone.

8. NYJFan10

Well yeah but that would take like 7-8 seconds and you'd just have happen what happened, Bridgewater getting strip-sacked.

9. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

I would've run another play but you have to understand the situation

how about a bootleg, rollout to the right, have a short, intermediate, and deep route along right side

he can either throw to one of them, tuck and try to scramble for a few and get out of bounds, or throw it away

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He should have thrown it away on the last play. But instead he held onto it and tried to make something happen. Even if he ran forward, he was going to get tackled inbounds.

11. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

the play was designed poorly

wasn't he passing from the pocket? Even if he threw it away, it'd be grounding

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i agree about his line but his receivers are far from shit ... theyre not great, but they are certainly above average, imo

and when people used those reasons in years past to excuse the jets QB2 play, you would have none of it ... keep it 100, stokes

13. JStokes

Not fair though. He's exactly who I thought he was--he is great at pre and post snap reads, he throws incredibly accurate passes that LEAD receivers giving them all kinds of YAC and he's extremely mobile. He has never had a gun but his smarts and his accuracy make up for it. He's a more athletic, stronger armed Penny and if you could give him an extrta half second he'd be that much better.

And I don't think his receivers are very good at all--young and will get better but not there yet. I love Diggs but he still plays like a rookie. His BIG option is Wallace and he disappears for games at a time and is a bit of a dick. Jarius Wright is a 4th receiver on any other team. He uses his TE and his big weapon.

If he had an Edleman to throw to underneath like Brady--he'd be over 300 yards every game.

Besides--this team is so intent on making it all about AP that Teddy is rarely throwing on 1st and 2nd down so oftentimes he's in a third and long, obvious passing situation and he's getting killed.

Hell, he played great last night--completed 70% for 330 with about 5 throw aways because of the rush, he avoided the rush numerous other times and made one bad play at the end and THAT was on the play caller, not him. you can't take a 5-7 foot drop with no TOs and under 20 seconds left.

_

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Jimmy Clausen expected to start Sunday

Schaub downgraded

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/po...me-to-some-nfl-trivia-if-he-starts-vs-seattle

Jimmy Clausen would add his name to some NFL trivia if he starts Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

Clausen would become the sixth quarterback in league history to start against the same team for two different clubs in the same season, according to Stats, Inc. His only other start this year came against the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 27 -- a forgettable 26-0 loss -- while he was with the Chicago Bears. Ten weeks later and on a new team, Clausen might have to face the NFL's No. 2 defense for a second time.

The last quarterback to do this was Kyle Orton in 2011. He played the Green Bay Packers and Oakland Raiders twice as quarterback for the Broncos and Chiefs.

15. DisgruntledLionFan

DisgruntledLionFan Active Member

You can't pat the ball twice in that situation. Bridgewater also took a sack in the 1st half in the same type of scenario. It would have made more sense to have him rollout so the throwaway would have been a much easier decision, though.

And his comp % better be that high considering the extremely high number of short passes. I thought it was good game plan undone by TOs. The Vikes moved the ball well.

Bridgewater will be an average to above average player in the league IMO.

He'll learn from the mistakes last night.

16. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i agree with the bold, they need to open their offense up on early downs

what you thought of teddy pre-draft isnt really relevant to the point i was making ... he has struggled this year, and a lot of those struggles are due to reasons that are out of his control. but when people made those points for our QB2 (are we allowed to use his name yet?), you scoffed

its hypocritical

17. 74

74 Well-Known Member

It's not because Teddy is doing alright despite that. It's easy to see there would be huge improvement if you fixed those things around him. The other guy was terrible regardless and showed no sign he'd be any better in different circumstances.

18. JStokes

No, not hypocritical at all.

First of all, Geno never had an OLine as bad as Teddy. I put more of his struggles on his line than the talent around him or the system he is in.

But he is MILES smarter than Geno and he doesn't make the mind-numbingly stupid mistakes Geno made in his second year.

Teddy isn't backpedalling 15 yards behind the LOS constantly or running out of endzones or running out of bounds short of the LOS or missing wide open guys because he's always looking downfield.

But more than anything else--with all the deficiencies they've BOTH faced--Teddy has his team at 8-5 and in the playoff hunt at about the time Geno was getting benched for an horrendous string of games.

I'm not making excuses for Teddy--he hasn't been stellar but even if you assume their situations were identical--which they are not--Teddy is SO much better than Geno was in his second year. Which isn't saying much but it's true and I'm not being hypocritical.

_

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They might be figuring Bridgewater out. He's accurate but he plays ridiculously safe. Alex Smith plays safe but he'll at least challenge the defense from time to time to keep them honest. Bridgewater is captain checkdown. Teams are slowly trapping them in the box and they aren't allowing him to nickel and dime them to death.

He will always need to have a good running game and defense around him I bet.

20. 74

74 Well-Known Member

The last QB Norv Turner called plays for won comeback player of the year the season after Norv left. Just sayin.

#80 74, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    BrowningNagle likes this.