Arians to part ways with the Cardinals next week per sources. Arians denied reports.

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Arizona is on the phone and wants to give you their 2nd rd pick for Todd Bowles. Do you do it? Take their 2nd rd pick and name John Morton the next head coach. Promote Kevin Greene to DC.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  3. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

No

4. playtowinthegame

You voted to fire both Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan before they were given extensions, but hypothetically speaking you wouldn't take a 2nd rd pick from Arizona for Todd Bowles? Makes no sense. At one point you would fire him and get nothing in return, but should Arizona come calling to trade a 2nd for him you would say no. Holding out for a 1st? Lol

5. TonyFtLaud

You did not simply ask would you take Arizona's 2nd for Todd Bowles. You continued with take their second pick , promote Morton to HC and Kevin Green to DC.
    That would be great strategy if you're goal is to ensure the first pick in the 2019 draft.
    So no.

6. playtowinthegame

So you think Morton is a poor choice for head coach? You must believe Todd Bowles, who you would've fired before the extension, is that much greater than Morton, who is likely the biggest reason Bowles got his extension with the Jets. Or perhaps you think Kevin Greene as the DC would NOT perform as "good" as Kacy Rodgers?

#26 playtowinthegame, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. TonyFtLaud

I don't think Morton is ready to be a head coach. He struggled to get plays called in a timely manner leading to burned TOs all season. His play calling was suspect at times. He quit on the team vs the Broncos and publicly stated as much. "Just wanted to get out of there" not what I consider HC qualities.
    He's still got alot of room to grow as an OC as it is.
    Kevin Greene just returned to coaching after quitting 3 years ago "to spend more time with his family" don't know how committed he is .
    So what else do you want to tell me that I must believe?

8. playtowinthegame

Kacy Rodgers is a horrible DC. I would be willing to bet Kevin Greene could do a better job as DC. In fact I hope that happens in the off-season. As far as Morton is concerned I think he's about as ready as most head coaches who get their first shot. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he starts to become a hot name for head coach openings around the league during the next year. He reminds me a little of Mike McCarthy when the Packers hired him away from the 49ers, where he was the offensive coordinator for then head coach Mike Nolan.

Bottom line I completely disagree with your notion the Jets would be picking first in the 2019 Draft with John Morton and Kevin Greene basically replacing Todd Bowles and Kacy Rodgers. Morton, Bates, and Greene being hired was a huge part of the Jets being competitive in 2017.

#28 playtowinthegame, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  9. TonyFtLaud

Look. We all know that you wanted Mac and Bowles fired. Your far from alone. It didn't happen.
    Santa's back at the North Pole. Maybe next year you will get your Christmas wish....
    This was Kasey's first year actually being the DC. Bowles acted as DC in 15 and 16 and the D did have some good games. Greene could be better but there's nothing to base it on other than a guess.
    As far as McCarthy , he had alot more experience than Morton when Green Bay hired him , 6 years as OC. 5 in N.O. and 1 in San Francisco.
    Morton has been a large part of this year's success, I don't disagree but he is also bears responsibility for some of this teams shortcomings.( Predictably, penalties, way too many burned TOs, poor play calling, 12 men in the huddle, quitting on the team vs Denver. Completely unforgivable.And while I subscribe to the you can't develop shit, Petty regressed behind Morton and Bates)
    I did noticed you simply skipped over his admitting to quitting on the players during the Denver game. Still not a good trait for a HC. I'm sorry if my wanting, expecting, demanding more from a HC doesn't fit your criteria.
    Would I trade Bowles to Arizona for a second ? Yes. Happily.
    Trade Bowles for that same second and promote Morton to HC and Green to DC? Not a chance.
    Fortunately it's not yours or my decision to make.

10. playtowinthegame

No