Are we running a 3-4?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rambo13, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Has anyone seen any declaration from the CS that we are indeed going to try to run a 3-4? If so can you point me in the direction of an article?
    It seems to me that we are all just speculating. The thing is, it makes a huge deal because it could be the difference between taking Mario Williams to play 4-3 End or Haloti Ngata to play 3-4 NT. In my opinion it is the number one decision we need to make before anyone can project the draft.

Number two is what we do with Chad Pennington

Number three is what we (do with) / (get for) John Abraham

2. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure that they think that Mario Williams can play in a 3-4 defense. He is supposed to be pretty strong and hefty besides being fast. That's why a lot of people are comparing him to Peppers in terms of physical attributes.

3. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I would love to have this guy...I know we need O help but WOW this guy is real special....And then we would be investing more $$ in the D...dont know if we can do that without trading down and stockpiling picks

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

No, Mangini has never committed publically that he'll use one or the other or a hybrid. NE used a base 3-4, but also went with 4 down D players on occassion. I don't think it will become clear until after the draft which base D he'll use primarily. A point that's been brought up in NFL circles is that with more teams going to a 3-4, the players that fit that system best are getting harder to come by, especially the all important NT.

5. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

We still have Tank Reed! He fits the mould:lol: :rofl:
    We should use this guy at and end as well as robertson, put ellis at the other end and get that fatt ass from the ravens...now that would be a great line to play in front of Barton, Vilma, Hobson, and Bobby Carpenter/AJ Hawk/D.Williams

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

This team has been a 4-3 team for several year they should know the calls by heart.

It would be nice for mangini to put a 3-4 in all practices except for a couple in the middle of the month so that they can know both. Teams wont know what type of defense to prepare for, and would give us a huge advantage. I have been saying this for a long time.

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

Well that's possible, but Peppers excels in the 4-3 and hasn't played much 3-4. The same goes for Williams. They are similar in that they are super athletes who could project but are phenomenal at what they are already doing so why change. If we go with the 3-4, I would prefer Williams's teammate Manny Lawson because he seems like a better projection than Mario.

8. Diabolical_Jet_Fan

Diabolical_Jet_Fan Well-Known Member

During an interview at the NFL, Mangini was asked if the Jets were switching to a 3-4 defense and he stated he is going to put the players in the best situation to suceed whether it be the 4-3 or 3-4...........

Me personally I think they will stick to the 4-3, with a hybrid 3-4 mix....