Are the Jets QB killers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Apr 1, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah and if they were to show absolutely nothing, I don't think any fan would complain considering the circumstance. That's going to mean a bad record and a new QB.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The Mud Bowl, arrrrggggh. The other side to that coin is that the Jets couldn't play in the mud. I'm so glad that Marino didn't get a ring. Small consolation.

3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Training camp will be interesting. I'm pulling for the kid, not just as a fan but in terms of what can be gained if we trade our 2018 1st round pick. Of course it all depends on wether a few Sophomores/Juniors declare. I think the brunt will fall on Maccagnan for selecting him but I personally don't hate on him doing it. If you like a QB, you take him whenever, wherever. Now if he took him round 1, I would then be a little ticked off.

You mentioned if a QB can become more accurate. I think it depends on why the QB was inaccurate to begin with. I've seen Hackenberg throw the ball into some extremely tight windows and also seen him throw to a RBs' feet. If it's mental, I think it can definitely be improved .. especially in terms of completion percentage.

K'OB likes this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

By most accounts McCagnan and the Jets scouting department were at odds over Hackenberg. You would have to think that McCagnan's opinion was influenced by O'Brien during his time in Houston. Time will tell...

Pags2112 likes this.
  5. Pags2112

QB Killers? How about PROSPECT KILLERS??!!

I think beginning with this current rebuild, the key to the Jets becoming and sustaining success, will be identifying and developing talent. The teams in the NFL with consistent success are good in keeping a circle. If players do develop during their rookie contract, and have more than moderate success, they want to be paid. That being said, no team can keep all or most of their talent, unless a culture to that of the Patriots is instilled. We need to draft well in the late rounds if not better than the early rounds. How well we develop these prospects can give us talent, depth and cap flexibility.

IMO, Too many folks evaluate drafted players their rookie year. Believing not only that being a rookie starter demonstrates a successful pick but that that they should make a BIG impact. Way too early as IMO, it takes most players at least two years to become the player they saw in the prospect. Most rookies don't even see playing time, so seeing contributions year one is big. Of course one would like to see results out of premium picks much sooner than the rest of their selections, but nonetheless we should be judging come year three, regardless of when the prospect was selected. Below I selected three players at random:

Mo Wilkerson--1st Round-30th-Overall

--------------GS-ComTacks---Sacks--PDef--Int-FF
    2013-NYJ-16-------63---------10.5-----3------1---2-
    2012-NYJ-15-------69------------5------4------0---3-
    2011-NYJ-16-------49------------3------2------0---1-

Calvin Pryor--1st Round-18th-Overall

--------------GS-ComTacks--Sck--PDef--Int--FF
    2016-NYJ-15------62 --------0.0----6------0---1--
    2015-NYJ-12------69---------0.0----6------2---1--
    2014-NYJ-11------60---------0.5----2------0---0--

Quincy Enunwa--6th Round-209th-Overall

----------------GS-Rec--Yds----Avg--Lng--TD
    2016---NYJ-13---58---857---14.8--69T---4--
    2015---NYJ--6-- -22---315---14.3--48----0--
    2014---NYJ--0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----

In 2 of the 3 players, you can see their improvement each year, Pryor though steady in numbers, never progressed nor performed at either of Bowles Safety positions and that was his ultimate downfall .. so far. In Enunwa you see the greatest improvement, which is really impressive considering where he was selected. You can look up any player and the developmental results will be similar and in Pryors case .. the results will also lead to the team drafting your eventual replacement.

#105 Pags2112, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    101GangGreen101 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Pags2112

Agreed, on the influence. I never seen an article on the scouting team being at odds though. Was it on using a second rounder on him or selecting him period? Can you post a link, I find that interesting? That's the whole story up to now Jethro .. time will tell.

7. 101GangGreen101

Mac took a calculated risk with Hack in round 2. Teams were interested in Hack, and I think someone could've taken him in that 2nd or 3rd round. Hack, Connor Cook and Dak were all tied to the Cowboys.

What I worry about with Hack is when there is pressure, will he revert to bad habits in terms of his footwork? Hack can be accurate when he correctly sets his feet and makes the throw. It's definitely a mental thing that requires a lot of practice reps. Hopefully, he gets plenty of first team reps and maybe just maybe he can get better like a Dak Prescott who got every rep in practice.

Pags2112 likes this.
  8. Pags2112

Definitely agree. Hack should have thrown the ball away more times instead of trying too hard. On the Jets, he will not be short of talent, especially having four backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield. In the West Coast Offense, what would be a checkdown is sometimes progression #2.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

Yeah and I have full confidence that Hack can see the field as well. I would like to see a little bit more mobility within the pocket in terms of moving around, not actually scrambling. The kid has tools to work with. Hopefully he comes in lights it up and becomes our franchise QB.

Pags2112 likes this.
  10. Pags2112

I agree 101. First on Hackenberg seeing the field. Hackenberg can be seen going through all his progressions and back again, when given time. Unlike MOST college QB's playing in Quarterback SUPER friendly systems, Hackenberg played under center (in two different and difficult pro-style and pro-style like systems) adding a higher degree of difficultly to the process. Unfortunately, consistent pressure given up by his offensive line would disrupt timing, and when he was given time, his young receivers would not get seperation. Frustration, inconsistent ball placement, and overcompensation were the results.

Next regarding his pocket awareness and mobility. Hackenberg actually is surprisingly mobile for his size, though as you pointed out, he definitely needs to work on moving within the pocket, buying himself more time. If he can find pockets within the pocket, not only will he allow receivers to come open but possibly improve his completion percentage. I read an article stating that his internal clock was broken and couldn't feel the pass rush. After watching tons of Hackenberg film I personally didn't see a broken clock, but I did see evidence of the point you brought up. This is something that he should make a priority, as a few seconds in the NFL can seem like a lifetime. Ironically, one of the areas I would like to Hackenberg work on and execute more often, IS his scrambling. While he is a pure pocket passer, he has adequate speed and elusiveness. Regardless of the reason why he's on the move, he doesn't look bad pulling the ball down and running for yardage. In fact, I've seen a few games where he effectively juked defenders for extra yardage. And although you don't want your QB doing this, Hackenberg has straight armed LB's and run over CB's, in fact vs Northwestern (2014) he steamrolled a cornerback, knocking him out the game and sending him to the hospital.

It's a shame this QB had his development stunted by plucking his coach and talent, inserting a new offense, and changing his footwork. All the more reasons why a red shirt season was necessary. It takes time and reps to lose the bad habits learned under the Franklin Regime, reps he didn't receive in a four QB stable. Having a whole season to sit, learn and re-familiarizing himself to pro-style language and concepts while slowly working on mechanics, IMO was the best way to also regain his old mindset. The mindset that so eagerly wanted and expected to play in a pro-style NFL caliber offense. A mindset that wanted to sponge up anything and everything the O'Brien regime had to teach him .. back when football was really fun for him.

Funk the critics, funk the rumors. I'm keeping an open mind and rooting the kid on. His development and success can propel this team and expedite the process.

11. 101GangGreen101

The fact that he stayed and learned the system is a true test of character IMO. Him not leaving Penn State.

The movement in the pocket is defintely something Hack needs to strongly develop. That's how you become a great QB in this league, being able to extend plays, and being cool and calm in the pocket. Hack needs to get back to that level of confidence. His internal clock was defintely an issue against Temple, but that was an NFL level defense and the offensive line couldn't even protect Hack when they rushed 2 or 3 players. That game was really a true chess-match if you love to watch good defensive football and how a QB can struggle when making reads because Temple had Hack fooled most of the game, but you chalk that up as a learning experience. Hack also was severly disadvantaged as his mechanics were completely changed by Franklin; playing that crappy pistol / spread offense or whatever it was. Hack defintely needs to watch plenty of Tom Brady tape, cause he is a similiar player. Observe how he moves in the pocket and evades defenders. Brady isn't fast by any means. Hack, I think is a bigger guy. I wouldn't mind seeing him get out of the pocket, and demonstrate the ability in terms of throwing on the run and getting a few extra runs scrambling.

The only thing I wish the Jets did was help him fix his mechanics right away instead of waiting, that would've allowed him to practice and get more reps. Could've been further along, but I shouldn't really complain about that when the Jets trotted out un-ready QBs in the past. I like the kid, I have to admit, I didn't want to draft him, but now that he's here, I hope he succeeds cause he could really change the course of this franchise. His ceiling to me, is just as high as some of the QBs coming out this coming year.

Great points all around. You sure do your research, glad you are on this board dude.

K'OB, Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Deck Enunww Anderson are above average receivers. All 3 can get separation and they all have excellent hands. Our qb's and their coaches are the key. They have no excuses, no reason not to succeed.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Decker is above average,enumerated seems to be headed there but I don't think I would consider Anderson an above average we yet. Sure he has flashed but I wouldn't be surprised if he just flamed out from here rather than take the next steps.

14. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I posted this thread in April and i see the thought has resurfaced...
    Why does it seem that no matter who the Gm or Hc is we have the same outcomes?
    Petty cant stay healthy long enough to prove he is the future, Hack cant read a D fast enough to avoid being sacked or intercepted on late throws and no matter how good Mccown looked in his cameo, stats dont lie. He has skills...he was killing us last year until he tried to become a helicopter, but he has a very low ceiling.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because we always hire a former DC who is a rookie HC, who only cares about the D, and who knows nothing about offense and developing a QB. Because we have novice GMs who for whatever reason seemingly suck up to the HC and give him pretty much everything he wants and ignore the OL and offense. Because we have a complete effing dumbass as an owner who knows nothing about the game still after all the years he's owned the team, yet who insists in making final decisions and meddling, and who refuses to hire an experienced, quality football man to run the football team and create an identity/culture.

Cman68 and CBG like this.
  16. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Maybe they just pick bad quarterbacks?

It's not like the guys they pick leave the Jets and become great. Hell, we just saw Geno oon the Giants, and he was still terrible.

I mean Petty looked like he was developing nicely, while Hack has looked awful and not developing at all.

Maybe this isn't all on coaching, but also on the GM's who are taking bad players.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FJF likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are you sure you didn't leave anything out?? :)

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I may have. LOL Can you think of anything I missed?

19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gimme a minute.... um... Nope. I think you checked all the boxes NC! :)