Are the Jets QB killers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Apr 1, 2017.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Is our present staff able to develop a potential franchise qb or will he be inept like every other rookie we drafted so far? I know petty and hack still have a chance but ...

2. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd be drafting 3-4 OL and a TE this year.

3. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yup. Same here. That loss was a killer. Will never forget it. Walt Michaels agrees.

Br4d likes this.
  4. fansince90

I just read the post. Polling Trubisky and Watson. The question remains...Do we have the staff to help any rookie/ young qb be successful? We signed another journeyman veteran. ..why...so he can model the art of qurterbacking? If we dont have the right coaches in place it wont matter which qb we pick.

5. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

lattimore would be the second coming of dee milliner. draft a qb or safety or oj howard instead.
    trade down and draft a left offensive tackle, if a starter is there.

6. fansince90

I really believe a dynamic rb is what a young qb needs...Prescott, Wilson, Bridgewater, Carr, Newton, all had above average rb's early on.

7. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

If we are then the best thing we should do is build a team that can win without a good one. We don't have a ton of offense right now but just keep plugging away and make every draft pick count.

Pags2112 and Cman68 like this.
  8. fansince90

Petty can throw again, but the question still remains...do we have the qb coach that can coach up him or Hack? McCown seems to like him.

9. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Apparently we have a QB coach that was good for Cutler's game and I feel Hack has a similar style to Cutler.
    Regarding qb killer? Love the post about Petty...he would probably have one vote for yes after that Miami game.
    One other thing I think people have to consider about Hackenberg..as detrimental as it would seem sitting him last year we had QB after QB getting injured every other game it felt like. There was probably some hesitation from the staff to put him in due to that. He had not been coached up with the team and was probably not playing up to game speed. I think if he had been lit up like petty did we would all be roasting the coaching staff on why the put him in with a pourus OL and losing season.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The new OC is the wildcard in this. If this youth movement is to be believed, and personally I have my doubts the HC is all in, then it will be the young Qb that grasps the new hybrid WCO that's gonna be installed best. Be it Hack or Petty, one of those two needs to be playing instead of the million dollar mentor.
    Now otoh, if the oline still sucks, let the mentor take the asskickin in 2017 so he can show the kids how to get up after getting pounded. Petty probably doesn't need that lesson though. After getting sandwhiched by Suh and Wake and surviving, there's not much worse than perhaps a safety with a 15yd head start hitting him full blast because somebody on the oline missed an assignment.

NCJetsfan and nicg4360 like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's every reason to believe that Bowles will opt to go with McCown, not only because he seems to prefer vets over young players and think that they give the team the "best chance to win," but also because McCown has so many years experience, it's almost a certainly that he will grasp the offense quicker and better than either Petty or Hack. As a result, he should be able to execute and lead the offense better from the start. That doesn't necessarily mean that will be the reality, however, because sometimes some QBs have better chemistry with their offensive teammates than others, or have better arms, or their youthful energy and hunger can inspire their teammates more.

IMO we just have to hope that Mac and Bowles are both on the same page, and that the name of the game is to determine if either Petty or Hack can be the team's QB of the future and so they are determined to give both Petty and Hack every opportunity to succeed, and have McCown almost solely to be a mentor and emergency starter should both Petty and Hack flop or become injured.

I don't think the OL will be as bad as last season, but even if it is, I still don't want to see McCown play. For one thing, he wouldn't be able to teach Petty or Hack how to get up after getting pounded. I think someone posted a stat a month or so ago that McCown hasn't stayed healthy and finished a season in years. At his age, he's more fragile and less agile. More importantly, if the Jets play him in an effort to keep both Petty and Hack healthy, and McCown is somehow able to stay healthy and continue playing, they won't find out whether Petty or Hack can be their QB going forward, and imo that's the most important goal or thing they need to determine during this season. If the OL does suck, then learning how Petty and Hack handle that pressure and if they're able to not only survive, but thrive, should go a long way in helping them determine if either of them is the answer at QB. Injuries are a part of the game. The Jets could have drafted Ramczyk and a C and both could have struggled as rookies or been injured, and the Jets' OL struggle like they did last season with backups starting.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. That's why I really thought the Jets should take a RB in the 2nd - 4th round area this year. Hopefully, Powell can stay healthy, the rookie can contribute early, and Forté still has more tread on his tires (and spring in his legs) than I thought.

13. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I believe it's since he was 26 McCown has not lasted more than 11 games. McCown also has not won more than 2 games in the past 3 years. If McCown plays it's not because they are trying to win.

Pags2112 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

At least the Redskins beat the Dolphins in the SB!

Br4d likes this.
  15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

We have 2 young QBs who for different reasons struggle with footwork, timing and accuracy. So what do we do? We hired an OC with a WCO background, an offense predicated on the QB being proficient in those areas. This should be interesting.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

All teams are QB killers.

Until they find their Franchise QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

it sure will. One thing the WCO requires is a QB that can make the correct read and deliver the football. His footwork / accuracy issues absolutely need to get to an average level. From there, I think the timing isn't a big issue. He's made the reads and delivered the ball throughout college and even in the preseason.

the age ol' question, can you improve accuracy will be put to the test.

Pags2112 likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other way to look at it is that Hack and Petty are going to be hearing footwork, footwork, footwork until they're dreaming about it at night. Hiring a WCO guy almost guaranteed that one of their primary deficiencies would become job one for both of them all year long. Hopefully that pays dividends.

19. Boomer da G.O.A.T

Boomer da G.O.A.T Active Member

"Are the jets qb killers"

Yes / end thread /

20. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I'm 100 in on Pettenberg. IMO, Hackenberg needed to have that red shirt year to get his confidence back in his offensive line protecting him and forgetting all the BS he endured at Penn State. His footwork was in question after O'Brien left. Regardless of it being his Freshman year, Hackenberg learned and played well in a complicated O'Brien offense. Even watered down a bit, is still more complicated then some current NFL offenses. O'Brien ran West Coast timing concepts, with the QB and receivers making reads and adjustments. Although he ran a lot of two-three TE sets, the concepts were similar. With having worked all summer with Palmer and a year of Pro-Style WC concepts under his belt, I think Hackenberg is further along then most people think.

Edit- I've included Hackenberg on my underdog list. He's already made the team of course, but has so many doubters that I'm rooting for him more than Petty at this point. I've also wanted a QB that played in cold weather.

#100 Pags2112, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Freddy Mondo and 101GangGreen101 like this.