Are the Jets QB killers?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by fansince90, Apr 1, 2017.

1. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Which rookie qb have we drafted and developed over the last 10-20 years? I can only think of Pennington.
    Geno had skills at WV. Nfl competition doesnt change your abilities, the reads may be more complex and the speed more intense but thats where system, qb coach, and coordinator is the key to a qb's success.
    The Pats can make any qb seem like a franchise qb...and almost all of the receivers teams no longer wanted seem to become all pro players.
    We need consistency on offense, no more 1 or 2 yr qb coaches or coordinators. ..we need a system in which we draft players that fit into it and coaches with longevity. Cowboys stuck with Garett until they gave him talent to work with and it paid off. I hope we are taking notes.

tiger8mush and boozer32 like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Pats have made one QB into a franchise QB. The other guys seemed like franchise QB possibilities until they actually went somewhere and were exposed. Bledsoe was a #1 overall pick and even he wasn't the real deal.

The Jets have just sucked at evaluating talent since Parcells left town. That's the problem in a nutshell. You can't keep swinging and missing on all your offensive picks except a couple of offensive linemen in the 1st and all your 2nd round picks except a LB. That will kill any team over time.

I'd do a Manhattan Project on the Scouting Dept if I was the Jets. Build the best Scouting Dept in the NFL and the talent will come. No cap dollars needed for that and the cap will be well spent over time instead of wasted on mid to late career vets who drop out and create holes.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

But that will take time, possibly a long time, and even the best scouting dept will make a number of mistakes. And one thing the owner and fan base aren't noted for is patience. It's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy: you tear it down and want to build it up from the foundations and everyone gets fired before you get above ground level; you try and be competitive then you're like a hamster on a wheel going somewhere between 4 and 10 wins and never really getting anywhere.

slimjasi and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Br4d

The Steelers were the laughingstock of the NFL before the merger and then they decided they were just going to start over and do it right. They handed the reins over to the next generation to redo the scouting department, the seeds of BLESTO were formed and they became the best franchise, the model franchise, in the NFL. It can be done but you have to want to do it and you have to follow through and you have to be willing to be terrible to get there because that's going to happen somewhere in the process.

Being safe is just going to lead to safe results at best.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The place where mediocre QB's come to die, I miss Broadway Joe our last real QB...

westiedog1 and fansince90 like this.
  6. Br4d

Ken O'Brien, Boomer Esiason, Vinny Testaverde and Chad Pennington were all real QB's. They all had flaws but all of them could have taken us to a Super Bowl with a good team around them. O'Brien and Vinny almost did.

Richard Todd missed taking the Jets to a Super Bowl when Don Shula cheated by turning the field into a mud bowl in Miami in '82. That's still my most aggravating loss of all time because I hated the Fins so much after they smashed us all through the '70's.

same old jets, dmw, Jets81 and 8 others like this.
  7. matt robinson 17

Especially Vinny in '98

fansince90 and Br4d like this.
  8. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

I QUOTE="Br4d, post: 3564406, member: 1847"]The Pats have made one QB into a franchise QB. The other guys seemed like franchise QB possibilities until they actually went somewhere and were exposed. Bledsoe was a #1 overall pick and even he wasn't the real deal.

The Jets have just sucked at evaluating talent since Parcells left town. That's the problem in a nutshell. You can't keep swinging and missing on all your offensive picks except a couple of offensive linemen in the 1st and all your 2nd round picks except a LB. That will kill any team over time.

I'd do a Manhattan Project on the Scouting Dept if I was the Jets. Build the best Scouting Dept in the NFL and the talent will come. No cap dollars needed for that and the cap will be well spent over time instead of wasted on mid to late career vets who drop out and create holes.[/QUOTE]
    I agree.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  9. matt robinson 17

I agree. Starting going down hill when they let the best oline since the Super Bowl year fall apart....Fabini- Kerry Jenkins- Kevin Mawae- Randy Thomas- Jumbo

#9 matt robinson 17, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster, tbruner12 and Br4d like this.
  10. Br4d

Starting going down hill when they let the best oline since the Super Bowl year fall apart....Fabini- Kerry Jenkins- Kevin Mawae- Randy Thomas- Jumbo[/QUOTE]

I think the downhill sequence was:

a) Parcell's cap window comes due, which led directly to:
    -Kerry Jenkins
    -Aaron Glenn
    -Randy Thomas
    -Laveranues Coles
    b) Bradway gets wildly exuberant in the draft
    -Santana Moss trade up
    -Bryan Thomas pick
    -Dewayne Robertson trade up

I was done with that regime by this point.

c) Parcells remaining talent ages out
    -Chad is injury prone
    -John Abraham is fragile
    -Curtis Martin ages out
    -Kevin Mawae ages out
    -Jason Fabini ages out

Free Agent Mania begins because trading up in the draft, even for superstars, cannot sustain a team and the Jets can't draft for squat over time.

Rinse and repeat.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I look at Sanchez and Geno ... I see 2 QBs while they weren't the smartest, the offense wasn't molded around their skill-sets. So yes, the Jets are QB killers. Imagine drafting a Mahomes in the Rex Ryan era with color coded wrist bands?

kevda5n9ne and Cman68 like this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your first post completely. But the owner has got to buy into it completely as well. My feeling is he will revert back to short-term fixes if progress is slow, and it almost certainly will be.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The bolded statement is just utter nonsense. It makes it sound like Parcells was great at evaluating talent and he wasn't. He was one of the worst grocery shoppers ever, and he is responsible for Bradway and Tanny. The truth of the matter is that for most of their history, the Jets have sucked at evaluating talent. Weeb was good at it. Dick Steinberg was for a few years. Mangini was pretty good at it. Now Mac is pretty good. Everyone else pretty much has been awful at it. With the boobs we've had as owners, it's no wonder that we've had incompetent GMs, and hired incompetent HCs and we could maintain no stability. Unless or until Woody sells the team, or realizes that he is most of the problem, and hires a professional football man to run the football operation, I don't have much hope that the Jets will ever build any lasting stability or be able to hire a topnotch GM, HC and scouting personnel. As long as the HC is on equal footing with the GM with both reporting to Woody, there's no hope.

14. NCJetsfan

You have a point, but I'm not certain that either Sanchez or Geno had strong enough skill sets that you could devise an offense around them.

15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Ya just like every other team in the NFL, that's the hardest position to fill or find

16. NCJetsfan

FA mania began with Parcells. He didn't try to build for the future. He was all about "win now" and quick fixes. He brought in a string of older, expensive FAs.

#16 NCJetsfan, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  17. NCJetsfan

This post I totally agree with. Most people want to play it safe. One doesn't achieve greatness by playing it safe. One has to take risks and be willing to be terrible first.

18. NCJetsfan

I disagree regarding Vinny Testaverde. He played like one under Parcells; otherwise, he was an idiot that never learned.

Ralebird and Pags2112 like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I am just outside your time period but I was fairly decent for the jets ;)

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

geez why did we draft them then