Are Jets fans good fans?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hoobash, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Everyone always points to St. Louis Cardinal fans because they love their players no matter what. I could never be fan like that. I think Jet fans are okay. Sure some are maniacs. Many are impatient. I think a good fan is a fan who wants his team to win so bad it hurts.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Based on my previous definition, I, as a Mets fan (please, I don't want your pity) believe that Met fans should not go to games and fund their corrupt owners, who have NO interest in winning. That would probably seem like something a bad fan would do. But I think it is the high moral ground.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

that is something completely different. we have an owner committed to winning, the Mets do not. CitiField is empty and should be.

4. nyjunc

there's no need for nonsense like this.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The move north to Miami Gardens and Joe Robbie/Sun Life Stadium has taken its toll (esp. with UM) with respect to their game day crowd intensity. Back in the days when they had good teams playing in the Orange Bowl, Dolphin crowds were as loud as they came, especially when a visiting team was trying to work out of the shadow of the west end goal posts (the closed end of the OB).

I've been to a number of Jet-Dolphin-Pats games dating back to the OB and Shea and Schaefer Stadium (an absolute bare bones dump) and I'll tell you what: as many Guido dbags sporting wifebeater tees you'll find at Jet games or Goobers at Dolphin games, Patriot fans are no prize either and imho are as nasty as they come.

#105 joe, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  6. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I don't boo. But I don't believe it has much of an affect on a team. Sure it would be nice for the fans to be completely positive, they're not, tough, your a pro athlete, deal with it.

If fans cheer player a it's not going to make him good all of a sudden. Most players just are what they are.

Are you saying if the GB fans booed the Packers they don't win that game?

7. nyjunc

I agree with you. I haven't been to many road games at Miami and NE but I have been to a few. there are idiot fans everywhere, that goes w/o saying. it's more about the atmosphere and one of the loudest crowds I ever heard was at Miami in 1998 and the Stadium was at least 30-40% Jet fans.

8. nyjunc

a crowd on your side gives the athlete a rush of adrenaline- it helps. Booing can deflate, you have to be mentally tough to play this game but some guys aren't as mentally tough as others.

Not saying that at all but had they been booing like crazy maybe doubt creeps in? maybe one guy makes a mistake he wouldn't have and the comeback doesn't happen? we don't know but booing your team doesn't help.

9. N0samples

N0samples Guest

Bitc

You don't have to speculate...
    Wilkerson himself said it can have a detrimental effect on the team.

10. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

There is a difference between not attending baseball games and not attending football games
    I completely agree with your position as a Met fan and in fact, I have given up Met tickets on the same premise that you have
    It is what a good baseball fan MUST do

I don't think it has the same impact in football however.

11. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Besides whatever negative effect it may have on the home team, booing sure as hell gives the visiting team a boost. Fans should pressure the visiting team with noise when their offense is on the field. Booing's kind of a whiny cop out.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

And Eli Manning said something along the lines of "if your getting booed you probably deserve it". Whats the point?

I'm not saying it's a positive message to send to the team. I can't remember the last time I ever booed at any pro sporting event. I get the type of message it sends out to the team.

But I just don't believe it has a huge effect on players performances, regardless of what Wilk says. I understand being loud can do things like effect the opposing teams hearing and snap counts and things like that but at the end of the day it's 11 on 11 on a football field. That's where the game is won. Not in the crowd

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

the point was: it is impossible to determine what a good fan is.

14. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I dont do it for impact. I just don;t want to give them a dime.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  15. nyjunc

we are talking about fanbases not just individual fans.

16. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

you still need a definition of what good fans are. I think Jet fans in general are fine.

17. nyjunc

I disagree, I think we have an average at best fanbase.

18. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

I love people who are judging fan bases off a few experiences. In order to really have a good comparison, you literally would have to be a fan of that team for years and years. You cant make an honest assessment based off hearsay from other teams message boards or going to an away game or two.

19. nyjunc

sure you can. is it a coincidence every road game I have been to I have seen a better atmosphere than I see here on average?

20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

So can getting kicked out of a close game for getting in a fight on the field.