Applaud our GM for an incredible base to build on!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 29, 2018.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Curious, I know we're all quick to downplay our mgt but name the 5 win team that completely dumped out most of their roster, replaced them with no one of merit and then won 5 games. I get no one was happy with 5 wins but look at Cleveland, how long Oakland was rebuilding, Detroit, etc. Takes time, this is all of his 4th draft.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I actually think Mac is doing better than many on here but "incredible base" is a huge stretch.....

I'm still not a fan of Bowles :mad:

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik dumped the roster in 2013, and we were supposed to be the worst team in football. But we got lucky, went 8-8, and had it all fall apart the net year.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe we can get LaFleur to be our HC if Bowles shows no improvement this year. :D

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

williams, lee, adams have all started every game since they were drafted. williams made a pro bowl and was runner of for DROTY. Lee has been solid in the middle and better then anyone drafted after him that year in the 1st round. after him pretty much everyone was a bust save for 1 or 2 decent players. Adams was a rookie stud. Maye as a 2nd rounder played great as well for a rookie and started every game. For late round finds, he got anderson as an UDFA who was almost a 1k yard WR last year and looks like he'll make a pro bowl or 2 in his career especially if darnold pans out. He got our starting RT shell in the 5th round. Jenkins has been a solid all around LBer in the 3rd round. edwards was a 7th round punter who has started every game here and is getting better each year. he was an above average punter in 2017. Moulden showed flashes of being a pass rusher but then injured his neck and missed 2017, he could bounce back. Maguire was a 6th round RB and made some plays as a rookie. Hansen looked good in limited time as a rookie as well. Simon a 7th round pick is still on the team as a back-up NT 4 years later. most 7th round picks don't last 4 years in the NFL.

people give mac for whiffing on hack who was a flyer QB in the 2nd round, and petty who was a flyer QB in the 4th. not a big deal. you take your swings. Hell the broncos took tebow and lynch, and oswieler as 2 1st and a 2nd round QB and all 3 were garbage.

LF911SC likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

He didn't dump the entire roster. We had Geno, we had Ivory, Powell, Mo, Richardson, Snacks, Cromartie, Cumberland, Holmes, Kearly, David Harris, D Davis, Ed Reed, Dewan Landry, Mangold, D'Brick, Colon, etc

We went from 6 wins to 8.

#86 LF911SC, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I won't even address the QBS Petty n Hack but we all know he reached with Hack two rounds too soon,,,,I personally hate all our Linebackers you like Lee I do not . He is out of position too many times for my liking and makes tackles but too bad they are 5 or more yards behind the line. Mauldin if not hurt , you could easily make an argument should have been cut last year .We cannot conveniently forget Devin Smith -- to me The jury is still out on last years draft we will know a lot better once this season begins . This years class I will wait until next year as well but thats me as I said I am happy to agree to disagree.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

based on what though? If i look at the NFL draft bio it has him listed as a 2nd-3rd round prospect. Mac could have felt someone was going to take him before our 3rd round pick and we were desperate for a QB, plus QBs are always over drafted due to positional need. hard to hate taking a flyer on a 2nd round QB

look at the draft class, lee and fuller (the WR taken right after him) are the only 2 good players from the 1st round we could have drafted, it was a weak draft, but lee was the right pick. even if he isn't an all star, he's a solid player and 2 year starter. in 2017 he had 94 tackles 3 sacks, 3 passes defended, 2 forced fumbles , and 9 TFL. that's a solid player and again, weak 1st round draft. anyone else we took would have been worse

Mouldin was a 4th round situational pass rusher who had a 3rd round grade. he had 6.5 sacks as a situational pass rusher in 2 years before missing 2017 with an injury. maybe he's done after this year, but again, 2-3 starters per draft and you are pretty much golden. you can't hit on them all.

For smith i hated the pick personally, but nobody could have predicted the guy would blow out a knee 3 years in a row. I'd love you to name 10 GMs who have drafted better then mac over the past 4 years though since you want to disagree. Instead you are just looking at one side of the coin and not liking it, without taking an objective apples to apples look.

LF911SC likes this.
  9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Please pump the breaks. The best player this list by far is Tremaine Johnson, and McCagnan had to pay him 15MM a year to come here. Overall the body of work for this GM has been underwhelming to say the least.

Three first round picks (Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, and Jamal Adams) have equated to one pro bowl (Williams a 5th alternate) between them, and two 2nd round busts in Hackenberg and Devin Smith is a big black mark on his resume.

Shell, Jenkins, Anderson, and Maye look to be nice finds as potential starters, but hardly game changers.

Winters and Enunwa are Idzik leftovers, and both probably don’t factor into the teams plans after this year.

10. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I would like to see a few more hits on low-mid rounders from Mac, and I'm not particularly optimistic about this year's crop. Smith (injury history) and Hackenburg (just...) were pretty terrible misses, but he's done a solid job with his first rounders so far - though Williams and Adams basically fell into his lap, so the one with the most 'wiggle room' was Lee - by far the least impressive of his first rounders, but one who's been making progress over time.

I'd note that he also strategically left himself a pretty solid war chest for next year's FA market. If Darnold ends up having a couple of good games before the end of the season, I think it'd help us when it comes time to get free agent talent. Nothing makes a team seem to be on the rise than a successful, talented young QB.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Mac got lucky trading to 3 and Darnold land in his lap. I do commend him on getting to 3 and having the balls to pull the trigger

Cman68 likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yep, trying too hard.

Harpua likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I've said this before and I'll say it again, the Jets OL struggled because of how terrible Wesley Johnson was and the fact that our starting guard (Winters) had a torn abdomen since week 2. They'll be better this year.

LF911SC likes this.
  14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

and how many young qbs have we seen get ruined by a dogshit offensive line that cant protect them? he obviously thinks that OL isnt important, he obviously doesnt think that rushing the passer isnt important.

he is the only person in football who thinks both of those things.

ColoradoContrails and CBG like this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

A fucking travesty i say!

17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Bowles may not report to Mac, but Mac still has full control over the roster. Lack of talent is not on Bowles, no matter how hard you try to spin it that way.

HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Even if he does Bowles is in his ear..

Tell me one GM not consulting their their HC

After this draft , other than a couple of picks and with all that dumb trading down ..do you really Mac has a clue? He must ask Bowles all the time

19. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Of course he consults with Bowles, just as in any orginization, but the final decision rest with Mac.
    As far as the trading down in the latter rounds I support the move. The draft is a crap shoot in the latter rounds and having more picks gives you better odds of hitting on a player.

HomeoftheJets, stinkyB and FJF like this.
  20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

lee improved last year but myles jack and deion jones were similarly rated prospects who not have been far better than lee

he drafted a pass rusher in each of his first three drafts but doesn’t think it’s an important position ... okay